Installing Trend Micro titanium 2011

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Geopelia, Feb 15, 2011.

  1. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I've got Trend micro titanium 2011 downloaded, took all night.

    I got a warning that it isn't signed or something, and do I want to run it?
    I suppose it would be safe, being from Trend micro.
    I've got a proper order etc from them.

    I've got an enormous lot of instructions which look reasonably clear. I
    managed to install the 2010 version.

    I'm getting the backup disc, which has a serial number shown in the order
    (letters and numbers looks like ABCD-1234-5678 etc)
    There is no serial number shown against the file to download. I suppose it
    would be the same. The CD serial number is the one I had before. The disc
    isn't here yet.

    I've got to uninstall the previous version. Is that "Add or remove" in the
    Control Panel? Would I just click remove, or is there something very
    complicated to do?

    Would it be best to wait for the backup CD and do it from that?

    Or should I get the computer man to do it? I've got about a month before the
    present version ends.

    As usual, the Help menu seems to have everything except what I want to know,
    so I'm asking here.

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Feb 15, 2011

  2. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message
    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>I've got Trend micro titanium 2011 downloaded, took all night.
    >>
    >>I got a warning that it isn't signed or something, and do I want to run
    >>it?
    >>I suppose it would be safe, being from Trend micro.
    >>I've got a proper order etc from them.
    >>
    >>I've got an enormous lot of instructions which look reasonably clear. I
    >>managed to install the 2010 version.
    >>
    >>I'm getting the backup disc, which has a serial number shown in the order
    >>(letters and numbers looks like ABCD-1234-5678 etc)
    >>There is no serial number shown against the file to download. I suppose
    >>it
    >>would be the same. The CD serial number is the one I had before. The disc
    >>isn't here yet.
    >>
    >>I've got to uninstall the previous version. Is that "Add or remove" in the
    >>Control Panel? Would I just click remove, or is there something very
    >>complicated to do?
    >>
    >>Would it be best to wait for the backup CD and do it from that?
    >>
    >>Or should I get the computer man to do it? I've got about a month before
    >>the
    >>present version ends.
    >>
    >>As usual, the Help menu seems to have everything except what I want to
    >>know,
    >>so I'm asking here.
    >>
    >>Thank you
    >>Geopelia

    > If was me I would disconnect from the internet and reconnect when the new
    > version asks you to.
    > Just click add/remove in the control panel to uninstall the old version
    > but
    > only if they tell you to remove the old version.
    > Reboot
    > Install the new version, you may not be asked for a serial number (Trend
    > Micro
    > may have placed it in one of the systems folders or the registry). If they
    > do
    > ask for it use the one you have.
    > No issue with it not being signed, just continue.
    > Good luck
    > Tony

    Thank you
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Feb 15, 2011

  3. On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:42:07 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >I've got Trend micro titanium 2011 downloaded, took all night.
    >
    >I got a warning that it isn't signed or something, and do I want to run it?
    >I suppose it would be safe, being from Trend micro.
    >I've got a proper order etc from them.
    >
    >I've got an enormous lot of instructions which look reasonably clear. I
    >managed to install the 2010 version.
    >
    >I'm getting the backup disc, which has a serial number shown in the order
    >(letters and numbers looks like ABCD-1234-5678 etc)
    >There is no serial number shown against the file to download. I suppose it
    >would be the same. The CD serial number is the one I had before. The disc
    >isn't here yet.
    >
    >I've got to uninstall the previous version. Is that "Add or remove" in the
    >Control Panel? Would I just click remove, or is there something very
    >complicated to do?
    >
    >Would it be best to wait for the backup CD and do it from that?
    >
    >Or should I get the computer man to do it? I've got about a month before the
    >present version ends.
    >
    >As usual, the Help menu seems to have everything except what I want to know,
    >so I'm asking here.
    >
    >Thank you
    >Geopelia

    Its listed as Total Crap, look at the Virus programs test results.

    get the Free Avast.
    William Brown, Feb 15, 2011
  4. Geopelia

    > "Geopelia" <> wrote:
    >>"Tony" <lizandtony at orcon dot net dot nz> wrote in message

    >>> If was me I would disconnect from the internet and reconnect when the
    >>> new
    >>> version asks you to.
    >>> Just click add/remove in the control panel to uninstall the old version
    >>> but
    >>> only if they tell you to remove the old version.
    >>> Reboot
    >>> Install the new version, you may not be asked for a serial number (Trend
    >>> Micro
    >>> may have placed it in one of the systems folders or the registry). If
    >>> they
    >>> do
    >>> ask for it use the one you have.
    >>> No issue with it not being signed, just continue.
    >>> Good luck
    >>> Tony
    >>>

    >>Thank you
    >>Geopelia

    > Any problems, do not hesitate to e-mail me (I'm sure you can work out my
    > e-mail
    > address from the header of my posts), or ask here.
    > Tony

    Thank you, I'll do that.
    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Feb 16, 2011
  5. On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:17:12 +1300, Crash McBash
    <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:22:09 +1300, William Brown <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 09:42:07 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    >>wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've got Trend micro titanium 2011 downloaded, took all night.
    >>>
    >>>I got a warning that it isn't signed or something, and do I want to run it?
    >>>I suppose it would be safe, being from Trend micro.
    >>>I've got a proper order etc from them.
    >>>
    >>>I've got an enormous lot of instructions which look reasonably clear. I
    >>>managed to install the 2010 version.

    >[snip]
    >
    >>Its listed as Total Crap, look at the Virus programs test results.
    >>
    >> get the Free Avast.

    >Roger you are answering a question that was never asked. Bad form.

    No just stating a fact.

    Why waste Money on a second rate Virus program that you have to pay $$
    every year to get the virus updates..
    William Brown, Feb 16, 2011
  6. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:17:12 +1300, Crash McBash
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 12:22:09 +1300, William Brown <>
    >>wrote:

    >>[snip]
    >>
    >>>Its listed as Total Crap, look at the Virus programs test results.
    >>>
    >>> get the Free Avast.

    >>Roger you are answering a question that was never asked. Bad form.

    > No just stating a fact.
    >

    > Why waste Money on a second rate Virus program that you have to pay $$
    > every year to get the virus updates..

    Because I don't know enough to be able to manage with a program that might
    not catch all the viruses.
    If something went wrong I couldn't get into the guts of the machine and I'd
    probably electrocute myself trying.
    Don't worry, I know better than to shove a screwdriver into it, I've seen a
    person get a big shock from doing that in the army, after he had switched
    something that looked like a monitor off, there was still electricity
    lurking inside.

    I'm not worried about the money, it's all the performance of downloading and
    installing, which is why I ask here.
    If Trend Micro Help would answer simple questions, I think it would be
    perfect.
    Geopelia, Feb 17, 2011
  7. On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 16:00:17 +1300, "Geopelia" <>
    wrote:

    >"William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:17:12 +1300, Crash McBash
    >> <> wrote:

    >>>[snip]

    >>>Roger you are answering a question that was never asked. Bad form.

    >> No just stating a fact.
    >>

    >> Why waste Money on a second rate Virus program that you have to pay $$
    >> every year to get the virus updates..
    >>

    >Because I don't know enough to be able to manage with a program that might
    >not catch all the viruses.
    >If something went wrong I couldn't get into the guts of the machine and I'd
    >probably electrocute myself trying.
    >Don't worry, I know better than to shove a screwdriver into it, I've seen a
    >person get a big shock from doing that in the army, after he had switched
    >something that looked like a monitor off, there was still electricity
    >lurking inside.
    >
    >I'm not worried about the money, it's all the performance of downloading and
    >installing, which is why I ask here.
    >If Trend Micro Help would answer simple questions, I think it would be
    >perfect.

    Avast does all that and its totally Free..

    And very simple to use.
    William Brown, Feb 17, 2011
  8. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <iji3d2$2gf$-september.org>,
    , Geopelia says...

    > "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    > > On Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:17:12 +1300, Crash McBash
    > > <> wrote:

    > >>[snip]

    > >>Roger you are answering a question that was never asked. Bad form.

    > > No just stating a fact.
    > >

    > > Why waste Money on a second rate Virus program that you have to pay $$
    > > every year to get the virus updates..
    > >

    > Because I don't know enough to be able to manage with a program that might
    > not catch all the viruses.

    Well that's what you are paying for. Another year of Trend-Micro.
    You're *paying* for a below average anti-virus program. One that
    indeed, might not catch all the viruses. Well, it doesn't, it's a fact.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 17, 2011
  9. On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:02:07 +1300, Dave Doe <> wrote:

    >In article <iji3d2$2gf$-september.org>,
    >, Geopelia says...
    >>
    >> "William Brown" <> wrote in message

    >> > No just stating a fact.
    >> >

    >> > Why waste Money on a second rate Virus program that you have to pay $$
    >> > every year to get the virus updates..
    >> >

    >> Because I don't know enough to be able to manage with a program that might
    >> not catch all the viruses.

    >Well that's what you are paying for. Another year of Trend-Micro.
    >You're *paying* for a below average anti-virus program. One that
    >indeed, might not catch all the viruses. Well, it doesn't, it's a fact.

    Yes it seems to me that Geopelia is after a Virus program that is 100%,
    there is no such thing..

    Have a look here, Trend is way way down the list, last in fact.

    http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    William Brown, Feb 17, 2011
  10. Geopelia

    AD. Guest

    On Feb 17, 7:15 pm, William Brown <> wrote:
    > Have a look here, Trend is way way down the list, last in fact.
    >
    > http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

    Not quite Woger - you still need to work on your reading.

    F-Prot was actually in last place (24th out of 24). Trend was 10th out
    of 24 - one place ahead of Avast which was your recommendation.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Feb 17, 2011
  11. Geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote in

    > As usual, the Help menu seems to have everything except what I want to
    > know, so I'm asking here.

    Damn it all to heck! Give up on these money grubbing no support asses.
    In My Honest Opinon.

    You must be their only customer and yet they don't support you!

    What the FUUUUUUUUUUUUU

    ..

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Feb 17, 2011
  12. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    I've got it downloaded and printed out the instructions for installing it.
    I think I'll be able to do it.
    The older version seemed to work very well. It updated nearly every day.
    Geopelia, Feb 17, 2011
  13. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <ijj22v$k8l$-september.org>,
    , Geopelia says...

    > I've got it downloaded and printed out the instructions for installing it.
    > I think I'll be able to do it.
    > The older version seemed to work very well. It updated nearly every day.

    They all do that Geo. Even the free ones.

    You post here, you get advice, you post that you appreciate the advice.
    But you don't take the advice.

    ???

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 17, 2011
  14. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <ijj22v$k8l$-september.org>,
    > , Geopelia says...
    >>
    >> I've got it downloaded and printed out the instructions for installing
    >> it.
    >> I think I'll be able to do it.
    >> The older version seemed to work very well. It updated nearly every day.

    > They all do that Geo. Even the free ones.
    >
    > You post here, you get advice, you post that you appreciate the advice.
    > But you don't take the advice.
    >
    > ???

    People here are very helpful when I'm stuck with something.

    I appreciate what people say here, but what I need to know is how to use the
    various programs etc that I have already got, when I can't find it in a Help
    menu.
    I'm not looking for any different programs, though I save what people advise
    in case I ever have to get a new computer.
    Geopelia, Feb 17, 2011
  15. Geopelia

    J.Wilson Guest

    > Yes it seems to me that Geopelia is after a Virus program that is 100%,
    > there is no such thing..
    >
    > Have a look here, Trend is way way down the list, last in fact.
    >
    > http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

    I did'nt see Malwarebytes on that list anywhere, Roger,. Do you know of any
    reason why it should'nt be there?
    J.Wilson, Feb 17, 2011
  16. On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:35:46 +1300, "J.Wilson" <a@!b.c.ru> wrote:

    >"William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >> Yes it seems to me that Geopelia is after a Virus program that is 100%,
    >> there is no such thing..
    >>
    >> Have a look here, Trend is way way down the list, last in fact.
    >>
    >> http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

    >I did'nt see Malwarebytes on that list anywhere, Roger,. Do you know of any
    >reason why it should'nt be there?

    Its not a Virus program, Plus the list was for Commercial ones.
    William Brown, Feb 17, 2011
  17. Geopelia

    J.Wilson Guest

    > On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:35:46 +1300, "J.Wilson" <a@!b.c.ru> wrote:
    >

    >>"William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yes it seems to me that Geopelia is after a Virus program that is 100%,
    >>> there is no such thing..
    >>>
    >>> Have a look here, Trend is way way down the list, last in fact.
    >>>
    >>> http://anti-virus-software-review.toptenreviews.com/

    >>I did'nt see Malwarebytes on that list anywhere, Roger,. Do you know of any
    >>reason why it should'nt be there?
    >>

    > Its not a Virus program, Plus the list was for Commercial ones.

    So, a virus is not neccessarily malware or vice versa :)
    I've been relying on Mbytes to do the lot and so far so good but now
    I will have a re think.
    J.Wilson, Feb 17, 2011
  18. Geopelia

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <part1of1.1.FPt$>, Tony, Tony says...

    > Dave Doe <> wrote:
    > >In article <ijj22v$k8l$-september.org>,
    > >, Geopelia says...
    > >>
    > >> I've got it downloaded and printed out the instructions for installing it.
    > >> I think I'll be able to do it.
    > >> The older version seemed to work very well. It updated nearly every day.

    > >They all do that Geo. Even the free ones.
    > >
    > >You post here, you get advice, you post that you appreciate the advice.
    > >But you don't take the advice.
    > >
    > >???
    > >
    > >--
    > >Duncan.

    > Give Geopelia a break. My understanding is that the product has been purchased
    > so what point is there in telling someone that they have bought the wrong one?
    > The advice that was requested was how to install it, not whether it was any
    > good. And anyway depending on which critics you read Trend Micro is somewhere
    > in the middle which probably means it is not terrible.
    > Tony

    You haven't got the full picture Tony. Geo's AV thing was raised a
    month or two or three ago.

    --
    Duncan.
    Dave Doe, Feb 18, 2011
  19. Geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <part1of1.1.FPt$>, Tony, Tony says...
    >>
    >> Dave Doe <> wrote:
    >> >In article <ijj22v$k8l$-september.org>,
    >> >, Geopelia says...

    >> >They all do that Geo. Even the free ones.
    >> >
    >> >You post here, you get advice, you post that you appreciate the advice.
    >> >But you don't take the advice.
    >> >
    >> >???
    >> >
    >> >--
    >> >Duncan.

    >> Give Geopelia a break. My understanding is that the product has been
    >> purchased
    >> so what point is there in telling someone that they have bought the wrong
    >> one?
    >> The advice that was requested was how to install it, not whether it was
    >> any
    >> good. And anyway depending on which critics you read Trend Micro is
    >> somewhere
    >> in the middle which probably means it is not terrible.
    >> Tony

    > You haven't got the full picture Tony. Geo's AV thing was raised a
    > month or two or three ago.

    I've had Trend Micro since I got the computer, and just renew it when it
    runs out, usually there is a new version. The computer shop installed it
    when I bought the machine. I had Windows ME in those days, but they changed
    it to XP later on.
    I get two years of Trend Micro each time so don't have to renew it too
    often. The only problem I have with them is that recently they have started
    sticking emails in the spam file that aren't spam, I report it each time but
    I suppose nobody reads that.

    Whenever I ask something people tell me I'm on the wrong program, and it
    usually ends up as a big argument between everybody here, which is way over
    my head.

    Trend Micro and Norton seem to be the only ones well known. I haven't heard
    of others except from people here.

    It's nice to know we have so many computer experts around. I save the emails
    for future reference.
    Advice is much appreciated even though I don't always take it.

    Geopelia
    Geopelia, Feb 18, 2011
  20. Geopelia

    Gordon Guest

    On 2011-02-17, J.Wilson <a@!b.c.ru> wrote:

    > "William Brown" <> wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 10:35:46 +1300, "J.Wilson" <a@!b.c.ru> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"William Brown" <> wrote in message

    >>>I did'nt see Malwarebytes on that list anywhere, Roger,. Do you know of any
    >>>reason why it should'nt be there?
    >>>

    >> Its not a Virus program, Plus the list was for Commercial ones.
    >>

    > So, a virus is not neccessarily malware or vice versa :)

    You bet your life savings on it.
    Gordon, Feb 18, 2011