Installing Third Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by jayne beaumont, Dec 27, 2003.

  1. Hi all, can someone please help me?

    I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
    comprises of the following:

    OS: Win XP (Home)
    RAM: 512 DDR
    BIOS: Award Modular
    Drives: Floppy Disk Drive (A), CD ROM (E), CD-Writer (F), Hard Drive
    8GB (C), Hard Drive 28 GB (D).
    Motherboard: Gigabyte G7VAXP

    I have physically installed my new 80GB hard drive into the tower unit but
    even after adjusting the settings in BIOS, it does not recognise the extra
    hard drive. I am sure that all connections are correct. I have got 4 IDE
    slots, 1 and 2 are used by 2 CD ROMs and 2 hard drives.

    I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.

    I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
    unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?

    Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you need any
    more info.

    Jayne

    jayne beaumont, Dec 27, 2003

  2. jayne beaumont

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:38:19 -0000, jayne beaumont wrote:

    >Hi all, can someone please help me?
    >
    >I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
    >comprises of the following:
    >
    >OS: Win XP (Home)
    >RAM: 512 DDR
    >BIOS: Award Modular

    Version for the BIOS helps.

    <snip>

    >I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.
    >
    >I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
    >unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?

    Can't get to the gigabyte site just now, page for manuals is always

    For an 8PE667 mobo, also gigabyte.

    BIOS Setup
    Integrated Peripherals

    Onboard ATA/RAID - Enable/Disable
    RAID Contoller function - ATA / RAID

    YOu may also find that IDE1/2 is ATA 33 or 66/100 cable and drives while
    IDE 3/4 is ATA133 cables and drives.

    >Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you need any
    >more info.

    Got into gigabyte via New Zealand site.

    Although not likely to make much difference,

    2 Revisions of the manual 1202 7MB
    http://nz.giga-byte.com/Download/Do...therBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7vaxpu_e.pdf

    and 1102 for PBC ver 1.1 and 5MB
    http://nz.giga-byte.com/Download/Do...otherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7vaxp_e.pdf

    Me

    why?, Dec 27, 2003

  3. jayne beaumont

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 13:52:22 GMT, why? wrote:

    >On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 12:38:19 -0000, jayne beaumont wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all, can someone please help me?
    >>
    >>I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
    >>comprises of the following:
    >>
    >>OS: Win XP (Home)
    >>RAM: 512 DDR
    >>BIOS: Award Modular

    >Version for the BIOS helps.
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >>I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.
    >>
    >>I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
    >>unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?

    >Can't get to the gigabyte site just now, page for manuals is always

    It would be this broken JavaScript on the TW & UK sites

    function openWin(imgName,winName,wide,high){

    newWindow=new Object(
    )

    //make the opening window to be the actived one

    That's right, the newWindow line above is a load os <spaces> between the
    () , whereas the working NZ http://nz.giga-byte.com/site has,

    function openWin(imgName,winName,wide,high){

    newWindow=window.open(imgName,winName,'width='+wide+',height='+high+',scrollbars=no,resizable=no')

    //make the opening window to be the actived one

    <snip>

    Either a hack or poor quality control.....

    Me

    why?, Dec 27, 2003
  4. jayne beaumont

    Patrick Guest

    jayne beaumont wrote:
    > Hi all, can someone please help me?
    >
    > I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system
    > currently comprises of the following:
    >
    > OS: Win XP (Home)
    > RAM: 512 DDR
    > BIOS: Award Modular
    > Drives: Floppy Disk Drive (A), CD ROM (E), CD-Writer (F), Hard
    > Drive 8GB (C), Hard Drive 28 GB (D).
    > Motherboard: Gigabyte G7VAXP
    >
    > I have physically installed my new 80GB hard drive into the tower
    > unit but even after adjusting the settings in BIOS, it does not
    > recognise the extra hard drive. I am sure that all connections are
    > correct. I have got 4 IDE slots, 1 and 2 are used by 2 CD ROMs and 2
    > hard drives.
    >
    > I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not
    > recognised.
    >
    > I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I
    > am unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?
    >
    > Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you
    > need any more info.
    >
    > Jayne

    An extract from the manual (manual-page 18 (24 of 128) at;
    http://europe.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7vaxp_e.pdf

    If elsewhere than Europe use this address and choose;
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/D...otherBoard/FileList/Manual/manual_7vaxp_e.pdf

    2. If you wish to use IDE3 and IDE4, please use
    it in unity with BIOS (either RAID or ATA133).
    Then, install the correct driver to have proper
    operation. For details, please refer to
    the RAID manual.

    Said RAID manual is possibly this;
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Download/D...FileList/Manual/manual_promise_raid_20276.pdf

    Main Gigabyte page for manuals is;
    http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Manual/Manual_List.htm

    Patrick, Dec 27, 2003
  5. jayne beaumont

    Phil Guest

    "jayne beaumont" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all, can someone please help me?
    >
    > I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
    > comprises of the following:
    >
    > OS: Win XP (Home)
    > RAM: 512 DDR
    > BIOS: Award Modular
    > Drives: Floppy Disk Drive (A), CD ROM (E), CD-Writer (F), Hard

    Drive
    > 8GB (C), Hard Drive 28 GB (D).
    > Motherboard: Gigabyte G7VAXP
    >
    > I have physically installed my new 80GB hard drive into the tower unit but
    > even after adjusting the settings in BIOS, it does not recognise the extra
    > hard drive. I am sure that all connections are correct. I have got 4 IDE
    > slots, 1 and 2 are used by 2 CD ROMs and 2 hard drives.
    >
    > I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.
    >
    > I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
    > unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?
    >
    > Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you need

    any
    > more info.
    >
    > Jayne

    Have u formatted the new HD using Disk Management?

    Control Panel>Admin Tools>Computer Management>Storage> Disk Management

    Phil, Dec 27, 2003
  6. Did you look at what the jumpers are set to. Slave / master or cable
    select. Maybe try a couple of different setting

    Steve

    Steven Heller, Dec 27, 2003
  7. jayne beaumont

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 16:03:07 GMT, Steven Heller wrote:

    Please post in plain text only.

    >Did you look at what the jumpers are set to. Slave / master or cable
    >select. Maybe try a couple of different setting

    You are telling me this why?

    So you are just guessing?

    If it's the only drive on the cable, it should not matter if it's M/S
    and the mobo the OP has IIRC does not use CS

    >Steve
    >
    >why? wrote:

    <snip>

    why?, Dec 27, 2003
  8. jayne beaumont

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 27 Dec 2003 15:42:26 GMT, Phil wrote:

    >"jayne beaumont" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi all, can someone please help me?
    >>
    >> I am trying to install a third hard drive to my PC. My system currently
    >> comprises of the following:
    >>
    >> OS: Win XP (Home)
    >> RAM: 512 DDR
    >> BIOS: Award Modular
    >> Drives: Floppy Disk Drive (A), CD ROM (E), CD-Writer (F), Hard

    >Drive
    >> 8GB (C), Hard Drive 28 GB (D).
    >> Motherboard: Gigabyte G7VAXP
    >>
    >> I have physically installed my new 80GB hard drive into the tower unit but
    >> even after adjusting the settings in BIOS, it does not recognise the extra
    >> hard drive. I am sure that all connections are correct. I have got 4 IDE
    >> slots, 1 and 2 are used by 2 CD ROMs and 2 hard drives.
    >>
    >> I have plugged the new hard drive in IDE 3 and 4 and it is not recognised.
    >>
    >> I suspect that IDE 3 and 4 are used for RAID - does this mean that I am
    >> unable to insert a third hard drive into these IDE slots?
    >>
    >> Any assistance is greatly appreciated but please let me know if you need

    >any
    >> more info.
    >>
    >> Jayne
    >>

    >Have u formatted the new HD using Disk Management?

    Won't help yet, OP is looking for drive to be recognised by the system
    well before any OS starts.

    why?, Dec 27, 2003