installing the evaluation software for exam 70-271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by samnachilomo, Mar 24, 2009.

  1. samnachilomo

    samnachilomo Guest

    Hi
    I want to install the evaluation software for exam 70-271, because it is a
    temporary one, I would like to somehow maintain my original operationg system
    windows XP home edition SP3 and maintain my programs and data. How should I
    do so? I have a dell inspiron 1300 laptop and on its manual there are some
    notes mentioned that "your new computer does not require an operating system
    CD or drivers CD. If you need to reinstall your software use one of the
    following methods

    1. Microsoft windows system restore returns your computer to an earlier
    operating state without affecting data files

    2. Dell PC Restore returns your computer to its original operating state.

    I have available free disk space of 11.7 GB,
    1.24 GB RAM and 1.50m GHZ Intel (R) celeron processor.

    Can I install the evaluation version along with my home edition? If not how
    will I be able to use the home edition again if I need to format my computer
    and install the evaluation version?

    Thanks

    samnachilomo

    samnachilomo, Mar 24, 2009

  2. Download and install Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

    You can then install the evaluation software (120-day evaluation version of Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2)
    in this Virtual PC.

    --
    Try the new Windows Vista Answers Forums:
    http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/windowsvista/

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Mar 24, 2009

  3. samnachilomo

    samnachilomo Guest

    Thanks Carey,
    I did not think of virtual PC,
    Now I would like to install virtual PC or something similar on Windows
    server 2003 enterprise edition but it seems that is not a compatible host
    operating system for virtual PC, is there anything else I can use like
    virtual PC for windows server 2003 enterprise edition SP2? I would prefer to
    use this computer with the server 2003 as it is has more space.
    BTW: My laptop display is not working so I will have to connect it to
    external monitor to be able to use it that is why I am thinking of using this
    desktop with server 2003 enterprise.

    Thanks

    samnachilomo, Mar 25, 2009
  4. samnachilomo

    Omar Guest

    you could try VMware instead of Virtual PC, but it is commercial program not
    free

    Omar, Apr 15, 2009

  5. >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

    >>> Download and install Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007:
    >>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx
    >>>
    >>> You can then install the evaluation software (120-day evaluation version
    >>> of Microsoft Windows XP Professional with Service Pack 2)
    >>> in this Virtual PC.

    >> Thanks Carey,
    >> I did not think of virtual PC,
    >> Now I would like to install virtual PC or something similar on Windows
    >> server 2003 enterprise edition but it seems that is not a compatible
    >> host operating system for virtual PC,

    It's important to understand the distinction between *SUPPORTED* and
    *WORKS*.

    Virtual PC will work on any host OS, as will Virtual Server.

    However, if you need to call Microsoft Product Support Services to pay $$$
    and ask a question about Virtual PC: their first question will be: What is
    the OS? and if it's not a "Supported" Host OS (e.g. Windows XP or Windows
    Vista), then they'll invite you to call back when it's installed on a
    "Supported" Host OS.

    Likewise, if you had an issue with Virtual Server installed on Windows XP or
    Vista.

    Having said that... Virtual PC works perfectly on Windows Server 2003, and
    to that point, Virtual Server works perfectly on Windows XP (though there is
    a bit of quirkiness complements of IIS 5.1) -- however, Virtual Server
    provides the VMRC, and you can also download and install VMRC Plus (a VMRC
    on steriods), so I found very few reasons to need to use the VS Web Admin
    interface -- in fact, after I got the thing up and running, I uninstalled
    the Web Admin interface and IIS 5.1.

    >> is there anything else I can use like
    >> virtual PC for windows server 2003 enterprise edition SP2? I would prefer
    >> to use this computer with the server 2003 as it is has more space.

    Disk space is not near the consideration for a host as is the available
    installed RAM. As we're all aware, XP is a dog in 256MB RAM, it'll be even
    more of a dog in 256MB of VM-based RAM, so you really need at least 384MB,
    and preferably 512MB RAM per XP VM -- which means to run two XP VMs (which
    you'll need to do some of the labs in the 270/271/272 training), you'll need
    a host machine with at least 1.5GB RAM -- and if you choose to use Windows
    Server, you'll actually need a minimum of 2GB RAM on the host machine.

    >> BTW: My laptop display is not working so I will have to connect it to
    >> external monitor to be able to use it that is why I am thinking of using
    >> this desktop with server 2003 enterprise.

    No reason why that wouldn't work, but if you're going to do this on a
    notebook, I'd suggest adding an external USB2 drive (Firewire or eSATA would
    be even better) to house the VHDs for your Virtual Machines -- the typical
    internal drives of notebooks just don't have enough juice to support two VMs
    and the host OS simultaneously.

    "Omar" <> wrote in message

    > you could try VMware instead of Virtual PC, but it is commercial program
    > not free

    To this point --- there is a free version of VMWare.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin [MVP], Apr 16, 2009