    PC through a parallel cable and not a USB cable.

    How can I install the scanner drivers for this printer?

    Thanks
    g_1, Nov 18, 2009

  2. g_1

    Mike Easter Guest

    Re: installing scanner drivers for brother mc-7420 printer for a Vista machine

    g_1 wrote:

    > and got the full driver and software package. The model "Brother
    > MC-7420" is a multi purpose deivce which can scan, fax, copy and
    > print. Somehow, the scanner driver was not installed when the printer
    > driver was.

    Somehow you installed wrong.

    > The printer is connected locally to the machine using a parallel cable
    > and the software during installation asks if the printer is connected
    > through a USB or network(internal or external).

    Neither of those is the right answer. Something went wrong either when
    you acquired or executed the installation. Or you misunderstood
    something.

    > It does not have an
    > option of local connection. I chose the USB,

    That was the wrong thing to do.

    > but the installation
    > process fails(which was expected) as the printer is connected to the
    > PC through a parallel cable and not a USB cable.

    Exactly.

    > How can I install the scanner drivers for this printer?

    First, brother wants you to uninstall the driver with their uninstall
    program, which you need to find.

    I would start all over and come at the driver from a different
    direction, such as here:

    http://snipr.com/tayb9 Home > U.S.A./ Canada/ Latin America > United
    States > MFC-7420 > Downloads

    Skip past the w98, me, nt4, 2k, xp stuff to get to the Vista and choose
    whether you want regular vista or x64. Then find the uninstall tool in
    there. Then find the

    Hopefully when you follow the instructions there in the 'More
    Information' section, you will not be provided with a bad choice such as
    you made.

    You might also read some of the more information next to each thing you
    consider downloading, such as Driver Deployment Wizard.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 18, 2009

  3. g_1

    g_1 Guest

    §ñühw¤£f wrote:

    > You could try to browse the folder the self-extracting exe file creates
    > (assuming this is what happened after you dld the driver) and look
    > around in there for some cat files or inf files or maybe theres even a
    > folder named something like "XPDriver" that has the actual driver file
    > in it. Then you could go into Control Panel>System>Hardware and look for
    > your printer-scanner. Do "update driver" by r-clicking on the
    > offending periperal and point it to the location of the driver file.
    >
    > Sumthin liek that.

    Tried that, did not work. But, thanks for your advice
    g_1, Nov 18, 2009
  4. g_1

    g_1 Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > > and got the full driver and software package. The model "Brother
    > > MC-7420" is a multi purpose deivce which can scan, fax, copy and
    > > print. Somehow, the scanner driver was not installed when the printer
    > > driver was.

    > Somehow you installed wrong.

    Well, it was installed before I came and from what I talked to Brother
    Tech
    support "scanning over a parallel cable is
    not supported by Vista on Brother machines"

    > > The printer is connected locally to the machine using a parallel cable
    > > and the software during installation asks if the printer is connected
    > > through a USB or network(internal or external).

    > Neither of those is the right answer. Something went wrong either when
    > you acquired or executed the installation. Or you misunderstood
    > something.

    Neither I misunderstood or anything went wrong during the
    installation. I lacked
    a detail that scanning over a parallel cable is
    not supported by Vista on Brother machines

    > > It does not have an
    > > option of local connection. I chose the USB,

    > That was the wrong thing to do.

    Vista provides only USB option for your Brother printer if it
    is connected locally OR network option which is what it was doing
    before.
    I did not know that parallel cable was not supported for scanning.

    Parallel cable is supported in Win XP according to Brother tech
    support.

    > > How can I install the scanner drivers for this printer?

    > Skip past the w98, me, nt4, 2k, xp stuff to get to the Vista and choose
    > whether you want regular vista or x64. Then find the uninstall tool in
    > there. Then find the

    Did that. It did not work either.

    > You might also read some of the more information next to each thing you
    > consider downloading, such as Driver Deployment Wizard.

    Even tried that which did not work. Called their tech support as a
    last
    resort and after waiting for an hour over the phone got this answer
    (scanning over a parallel cable is
    not supported by Vista on Brother devices such as which we have).
    I was told I need to purchase a A-B 2.0 USB cable, remove the existing
    printer driver and parallel cable,
    hook up the brother component with the PC using USB cable, then
    install the software
    and hope it should work fine.

    Question is has anyone else faced this issue and did it get resolved
    by using a USB cable?

    I guess the tech support of Brother would be right, but would
    appreciate more
    advice on people who have faced similar issues. I occasionally got
    wrong advice
    from tech support of some products so want to confirm before doing as
    I was told
    this time.

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Appreciate your answer and time. When I tried the tech support in the
    morning
    it took me 35mins so I left the phone and posted here. In the evening,
    I could get
    hold of them quicker.

    Thanks again for your time.
    g_1, Nov 19, 2009
  5. g_1

    g_1 wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:

    > support "scanning over a parallel cable is
    > not supported by Vista on Brother machines"

    Ah, so. Brother was too lazy to make proper - comprehensive - software
    for vista for their older-type hardware, namely the parallel port. That
    is one of the disadvantages to having a vista OS and using - trying to
    use - 'pre-vista' peripherals.

    My understanding is that that printer has been printing and scanning for
    linux distros for years.

    > Neither I misunderstood or anything went wrong during the
    > installation. I lacked
    > a detail that scanning over a parallel cable is
    > not supported by Vista on Brother machines

    I see.

    > Parallel cable is supported in Win XP according to Brother tech
    > support.

    I don't know enough about Vista emulating XP for such as driver related
    software to make a rational suggestion along those lines, but I wonder
    if there is a route there.

    > (scanning over a parallel cable is
    > not supported by Vista on Brother devices such as which we have).
    > I was told I need to purchase a A-B 2.0 USB cable, remove the existing
    > printer driver and parallel cable,
    > hook up the brother component with the PC using USB cable, then
    > install the software
    > and hope it should work fine.

    Ohhh. I see now that the MFC-7420 has both usb & parallel. Nevermind
    the above.

    > Appreciate your answer and time. When I tried the tech support in the
    > morning
    > it took me 35mins so I left the phone and posted here. In the evening,
    > I could get
    > hold of them quicker.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Nov 19, 2009
  6. g_1

    chuckcar Guest

    Re: installing scanner drivers for brother mc-7420 printer for a Vista machine

    g_1 <> wrote in

    > I went to the link
    > http://welcome.solutions.brother.com/bsc/public/us/us/en/dlf/dlf/000000/0
    > 02700/dlf002747.html?reg=us&c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc7420_all&type2=1&os=74&f
    > lang=8&dlid=dlf002747 and got the full driver and software package. The
    > model "Brother MC-7420" is a multi purpose deivce which can scan, fax,
    > copy and print. Somehow, the scanner driver was not installed when the
    > printer driver was.

    In plain english: a PITA the marketing boys dreamed up without any
    consultation from the engineers. All in one printers are *all* like that.

    > The printer is connected locally to the machine using a parallel cable
    > and the software during installation asks if the printer is connected
    > through a USB or network(internal or external). It does not have an
    > option of local connection. I chose the USB, but the installation
    > process fails(which was expected) as the printer is connected to the
    > PC through a parallel cable and not a USB cable.
    >
    > How can I install the scanner drivers for this printer?

    Get the drivers for the parallel port version of the printer. A wild guess
    is that you have an old printer whose model number matches a current one, but
    is completely different. Look for a photo where you got the drivers.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 19, 2009