Installing SATA drives on Windows ME

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by TJ, Jun 5, 2007.

  1. TJ

    TJ Guest

    My 'SATA saga' to clean install WIN ME on a new drive, and run it
    with an PATA IDE drive has finally ended successfully.

    By way of record this is the bottom line how to do it.

    Providing you motherboard has SATA slots, or you have a PCI card - and
    your BIOS recognises the SATA drive, you can clean install WIN ME on
    the drive in the usual way.

    What you will then NOT be able to do when Windows restarts for the 2nd
    last time (before setting up the last lot of hardware) is open Windows
    in anything but SAFE MODE. Which won't allow you to access the CD ROM.

    Windows ME (or 98) doesn't have SCSI SATA or RAID drivers. So you
    need to load the SATA driver off your motherboard CD into WIN ME
    during setup so it can open Windows in full mode.

    Your PATA HDD will recognise the SATA drive, but even the PATA drive
    will only open in SAFE mode with the SATA drive connected.

    So first you load the SATA driver onto your PATA drive Windows ME. (so
    later you can run both drives together if you want in full Windows
    mode.

    Then on the PATA drive open the modo driver CD and copy the SATA
    driver onto a folder on the PATA drive.

    Restart in Safe Mode with both drives connected. Copy the SATA drivers
    from the PATA drive to a folder in the SATA drive.

    Restart the SATA drive alone in Safe Mode, open and install the SATA
    drivers. Retart and bingo!, Windows will immediately compelete the
    last hartdware recognition/ installation phase in full mode.

    And you can run both drives together as master or slave by changing
    the setup sequence on bootup.

    Hope this is useful

    TJ
    TJ, Jun 5, 2007

  2. who the hell wants to use ME on anything let alone SATA?

    Christopher Syn, Jun 6, 2007