    I know the older IDE needs to be set up, usually to auto or CD or whatever...
    but I already have 4 devices so I need the serial.

    Thanks

    Bob, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    | I have an Intel motherboard (D845PEBT2) that has SATA connectors, so I
    looked in
    | the CMOS to see if there was an enable or anything - couldn't find
    anything...

    | Does anyone know if I can purchase a serial drive and cable and just stick
    it
    | in?
    |
    | I know the older IDE needs to be set up, usually to auto or CD or
    whatever...
    | but I already have 4 devices so I need the serial.
    |
    | Thanks

    Yup! Just plug it in, it should work. Your CMOS should have those
    connections already set up for "auto detect". I just did that this weekend
    with my HP. I had to change my power supply though, since the MOBO had SATA,
    but the PS didn't have the correct plugs. There are adapters available
    though, but I felt my 250W PS was under-rated for all the extra stuff I've
    been adding.

    Are you familiar with Drive Management in XP to partition, format, etc.?

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005

  3. Bob

    D@Z Guest

    just got new pc .I needed to install raid drivers before my SATA drive would
    work.This was done at the xp set up screen by pressing F2 and using floppy
    that came with MOBO. I couldnt get my old IDE drives to be recognised under
    the auto detect setting in bios so I disabled it and hey presto they
    appeared.

    D@Z, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Bob

    doS Guest

    depends on the mobo, mine needs drivers for raid option only.

    doS, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    (top posting fixed)

    "D@Z" <daznotathome.com> wrote in message

    | "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    | >
    | > "Bob" <> wrote in message
    | > |
    | > | I have an Intel motherboard (D845PEBT2) that has SATA connectors, so I
    | > looked in
    | > | the CMOS to see if there was an enable or anything - couldn't find
    | > anything...
    | > |
    | > | Does anyone know if I can purchase a serial drive and cable and just
    | > stick
    | > it
    | > | in?
    | > |
    | > | I know the older IDE needs to be set up, usually to auto or CD or
    | > whatever...
    | > | but I already have 4 devices so I need the serial.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks
    | > |

    | > Yup! Just plug it in, it should work. Your CMOS should have those
    | > connections already set up for "auto detect". I just did that this
    weekend
    | > with my HP. I had to change my power supply though, since the MOBO had
    | > SATA,
    | > but the PS didn't have the correct plugs. There are adapters available
    | > though, but I felt my 250W PS was under-rated for all the extra stuff
    I've
    | > been adding.
    | >
    | > Are you familiar with Drive Management in XP to partition, format, etc.?
    | >

    | just got new pc .I needed to install raid drivers before my SATA drive
    would
    | work.This was done at the xp set up screen by pressing F2 and using floppy
    | that came with MOBO. I couldnt get my old IDE drives to be recognised
    under
    | the auto detect setting in bios so I disabled it and hey presto they
    | appeared.

    That certainly could be an issue, but the OP didn't indicate a RAID array -
    only seemed to be adding one SATA drive:

    <quote>
    ....can purchase *a* serial drive and cable...
    </quote> (emphasis added)

    Toolman Tim, Feb 13, 2005
  6. Bob

    chuckie® Guest

    Mine too (Abit KV8-PRO), SATA works fine now...

    chuckie®, Feb 13, 2005
  7. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:21:27 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >(top posting fixed)
    >
    >"D@Z" <daznotathome.com> wrote in message
    >|
    >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >| >
    >| > "Bob" <> wrote in message
    >| > |
    >| > looked in
    >| > anything...
    >| > |
    >| > stick
    >| > it
    >| > |
    >| > whatever...
    >| > |
    >| > |

    >| > Yup! Just plug it in, it should work. Your CMOS should have those
    >| > connections already set up for "auto detect". I just did that this
    >weekend
    >| > with my HP. I had to change my power supply though, since the MOBO had
    >| > SATA,
    >| > but the PS didn't have the correct plugs. There are adapters available
    >| > though, but I felt my 250W PS was under-rated for all the extra stuff
    >I've
    >| > been adding.
    >| >
    >| > Are you familiar with Drive Management in XP to partition, format, etc.?
    >| >

    >| just got new pc .I needed to install raid drivers before my SATA drive
    >would
    >| work.This was done at the xp set up screen by pressing F2 and using floppy
    >| that came with MOBO. I couldnt get my old IDE drives to be recognised
    >under
    >| the auto detect setting in bios so I disabled it and hey presto they
    >| appeared.
    >
    >That certainly could be an issue, but the OP didn't indicate a RAID array -
    >only seemed to be adding one SATA drive:
    >
    ><quote>
    >...can purchase *a* serial drive and cable...
    ></quote> (emphasis added)

    yes, I don't know anything about raid, I just want another drive!

    So are the power connectors different too? Voltages different?

    Bob, Feb 14, 2005
  8. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:21:27 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |
    | >(top posting fixed)
    | >
    | >"D@Z" <daznotathome.com> wrote in message
    | >|
    | >| "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    | >| > |
> [...]
    | >| > |
    | >| > |
    | >| > |
    | >| > |

    | >weekend
    | >I've

    | >| just got new pc .I needed to install raid drivers before my SATA drive
    | >would
    | >| work.This was done at the xp set up screen by pressing F2 and using
    floppy
    | >| that came with MOBO. I couldnt get my old IDE drives to be recognised
    | >under
    | >| the auto detect setting in bios so I disabled it and hey presto they
    | >| appeared.
    | >
    | >That certainly could be an issue, but the OP didn't indicate a RAID
    array -
    | >only seemed to be adding one SATA drive:
    | >
    | ><quote>
    | >...can purchase *a* serial drive and cable...
    | ></quote> (emphasis added)
    | >

    | yes, I don't know anything about raid, I just want another drive!
    |
    | So are the power connectors different too? Voltages different?

    Voltages are the same. The connectors are different. They (so far) are
    black. Many power supplies have them already attached. If not, there are
    adapters available that plug into the existing Molex connectors. I saw this
    one
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-104-652&depa=0
    for a real good price (if that link is broken, try this one:
    http://tinyurl.com/6eefs)

    I just bought a 'refurbished' drive from them - they're in Southern
    California. I've had excellent service with them, as have others who post in
    this group.

    One hint - it's a cheap part, but shipping is a bit high for that one. If
    you need to buy one, get two <g> and maybe get your SATA cable(s) there
    too...or get your power adapter from the same place your getting your SATA
    cable from.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 14, 2005
  9. Bob

    Bob Guest

    On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:52:35 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    <> wrote:

    >"Bob" <> wrote in message
    >| On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:21:27 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    >| <> wrote:
    >|
    >| >(top posting fixed)
    >| >
    >| >"D@Z" <daznotathome.com> wrote in message
    >| >|

    >| >| > |
    >so I
    >| >| > |
    >just
    >| >| > |
    >| >| > |
    >| >| > |

    >| >weekend
    >had
    >available
    >| >I've

    >etc.?

    >| >would
    >floppy
    >| >under
    >| >
    >| >That certainly could be an issue, but the OP didn't indicate a RAID
    >array -
    >| >only seemed to be adding one SATA drive:
    >| >
    >| ><quote>
    >| >...can purchase *a* serial drive and cable...
    >| ></quote> (emphasis added)
    >| >

    >| yes, I don't know anything about raid, I just want another drive!
    >|
    >| So are the power connectors different too? Voltages different?
    >|
    >Voltages are the same. The connectors are different. They (so far) are
    >black. Many power supplies have them already attached. If not, there are
    >adapters available that plug into the existing Molex connectors. I saw this
    >one
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-104-652&depa=0
    >for a real good price (if that link is broken, try this one:
    >http://tinyurl.com/6eefs)
    >
    >I just bought a 'refurbished' drive from them - they're in Southern
    >California. I've had excellent service with them, as have others who post in
    >this group.
    >
    >One hint - it's a cheap part, but shipping is a bit high for that one. If
    >you need to buy one, get two <g> and maybe get your SATA cable(s) there
    >too...or get your power adapter from the same place your getting your SATA
    >cable from.

    Thanks.

    I wish people would stop changing everything just for change sake! Do you
    remember the 'old' very small power connectors they had? Mostly used on floppy
    drives later.

    Bob, Feb 15, 2005
  10. Bob

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    | On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:52:35 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | <> wrote:
    |

    | >"Bob" <> wrote in message
    | >| On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 11:21:27 -0800, "Toolman Tim"
    | >| <> wrote:
    | >|
> [...]
    | >| >|
> [...]
    | >| >| > |
    | >so I
    | >| >| > |
    | >just
    | >| >| > |
    | >| >| > |
    | >| >| > |

    | >had
    | >available

    | >etc.?

    | >floppy

    | >array -

    | >|
    | >| yes, I don't know anything about raid, I just want another drive!
    | >|
    | >| So are the power connectors different too? Voltages different?
    | >|
    | >Voltages are the same. The connectors are different. They (so far) are
    | >black. Many power supplies have them already attached. If not, there are
    | >adapters available that plug into the existing Molex connectors. I saw
    this
    | >one
    |
    >http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=12-104-652&depa=0

    | >for a real good price (if that link is broken, try this one:
    | >http://tinyurl.com/6eefs)
    | >
    | >I just bought a 'refurbished' drive from them - they're in Southern
    | >California. I've had excellent service with them, as have others who post
    in
    | >this group.
    | >
    | >One hint - it's a cheap part, but shipping is a bit high for that one. If
    | >you need to buy one, get two <g> and maybe get your SATA cable(s) there
    | >too...or get your power adapter from the same place your getting your
    SATA
    | >cable from.
    | >

    | Thanks.
    |
    | I wish people would stop changing everything just for change sake! Do you
    | remember the 'old' very small power connectors they had? Mostly used on
    floppy
    | drives later.

    Yeah - I can see change if it provides better or faster operation, like the
    SATA connection, but changing the power connector did nothing for
    performance.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 15, 2005