    What exactly does this mean I need to do? How exactly do I assign this
    "Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was no help.
    Thanks.

    capnfreedom, Aug 11, 2006

  2. capnfreedom

    Gordon Guest

    capnfreedom wrote:

    > Hello. I'm trying to install a D-link G730AP "wireless pocket
    > router/AP" to use with two dell laptops at home, which currently have
    > to rotate between our ethernet.
    > In the D-link "Quick Installation Guide" it says, "Before you begin,
    > the default address for the DWL-G730AP is 192.168.0.30 with a Subnet
    > Mask of 255.255.255.0. You will need to assign your computer a Static
    > IP address within the same range as the DWL-G730AP's IP address for the
    > purpose of configuring the DWL-G730AP."
    > What exactly does this mean I need to do? How exactly do I assign this
    > "Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was no help.
    > Thanks.

    What operating System are you using?

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Kubuntu 6.06, Open Office 2

    Gordon, Aug 11, 2006

  3. capnfreedom

    Guest

    capnfreedom wrote:

    > Hello. I'm trying to install a D-link G730AP "wireless pocket
    > router/AP" to use with two dell laptops at home, which currently have
    > to rotate between our ethernet.
    > In the D-link "Quick Installation Guide" it says, "Before you begin,
    > the default address for the DWL-G730AP is 192.168.0.30 with a Subnet
    > Mask of 255.255.255.0. You will need to assign your computer a Static
    > IP address within the same range as the DWL-G730AP's IP address for the
    > purpose of configuring the DWL-G730AP."
    > What exactly does this mean I need to do? How exactly do I assign this
    > "Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was no help.
    > Thanks.

    Sounds like you need to access the router to set it up. 192.168.0.30 is

    its IP address, so to access it, connect a laptop and set its IP
    address
    to something in the same subnet, say 192.168.0.31 with mask
    255.255.255.0. From the laptop you should then be able to access the
    router using IE and entering the router address in the address line
    (most current small routers have a browser interface). Once you are
    connected follow the rest of the setup instructions.

    , Aug 11, 2006
  4. capnfreedom

    capnfreedom Guest

    I'm using windows xp. Where do I go exactly on the desktop, program,
    control panel? to set an IP? Sorry for the ignorance.

    capnfreedom, Aug 11, 2006
  5. capnfreedom

    Fred Guest

    capnfreedom wrote:
    > I'm using windows xp. Where do I go exactly on the desktop, program,
    > control panel? to set an IP? Sorry for the ignorance.

    You set it in the tcp/ip properties of your network connection.
    Some info here about setting up internet protocol but the specific info
    needs to be changed to suit you particular settings.

    http://163.1.0.28/network/ethernet/winxp/index.xml.ID=ConfiguringTCPIP
    192.168.0.2 might be appropriate or 192.168.0.3 etc depending what is
    available.

    Fred, Aug 12, 2006
  6. capnfreedom

    why? Guest

    On 11 Aug 2006 10:12:05 -0700, capnfreedom wrote:

    >I'm using windows xp. Where do I go exactly on the desktop, program,
    >control panel? to set an IP? Sorry for the ignorance.

    Top posting and not snipping any of the previous message.

    What's worse is not reading the manual, as it's in there.
    http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346
    see
    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/dwlg730AP/Manual/dwlg730AP_manual_06302005.zip

    > wrote:
    >> capnfreedom wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hello. I'm trying to install a D-link G730AP "wireless pocket
    >> > router/AP" to use with two dell laptops at home, which currently have
    >> > to rotate between our ethernet.

    <snip>

    >> > "Static IP address?" I have gone to D-link on-line and it was no help.

    18 seconds was all it took, in the manual -
    Networking Basics (continued)
    Assigning a Static IP Address in Windows XP/2000

    >> > Thanks.

    >> Sounds like you need to access the router to set it up. 192.168.0.30 is
    >>
    >> its IP address, so to access it, connect a laptop and set its IP
    >> address

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Aug 12, 2006