    I get it setup fine in the BIOS and RAID setup utility (nVidia RAID on a
    Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo), but Windows doesn't show the drive. What do I
    need to do to get them setup in Windows???

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=, Dec 7, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=

    Dennis Pack Guest

    When installing XP or XP x64 you need to use F6 to install the raid drivers
    from a floppy.

    Dennis Pack, Dec 7, 2006

  3. I've already got x64 installed on a separate drive. I'm going to copy my old
    160gb onto the new 500gb RAID array, but I need Windows to recognize it first!

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=, Dec 7, 2006
  4. I would say: You have to do a 'Repair Install' to get to the Floppy Stage.

    You should be able to do that on your old system, then when it reaches the
    Partition Manager Stage, your new drives will become visible. I think you
    should probably finish the normal installation and leave the transfer of the
    system until later, since your RAID is configured and ready, they should all
    behave like normal HD's after that.

    The Repair Install will require that you have all system drivers ready, but
    it will not affect your personal files or installed app's.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 7, 2006
  5. RomeoJ wrote:

    >I'm trying to install 2 Western Digital 250gb hard drives in a RAID 1
    >setup.
    >I get it setup fine in the BIOS and RAID setup utility (nVidia RAID on a
    >Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI mobo), but Windows doesn't show the drive. What do I
    >need to do to get them setup in Windows???

    If this is during Windows installation, you need a driver floppy and F6.

    If it's for an existing Windows installation on another drive in the same
    machine, Install a driver for the RAID hardware. You should find that
    Device Manager has either an "Unknown Device", or a named device that
    matches your RAID hardware with a yellow exclamation (ie it's been
    identified, but is non-functional or has no driver).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 7, 2006
  6. Assign a drive letter and format the drive in Disk Management.

    Dominic Payer, Dec 7, 2006
  7. =?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    did you say ...500GB array?

    You said you have 2 250GB drives that you are trying to setup with RAID1
    (mirroring) ... this will not yield 500G, just 250GB. Search this group for
    several impassioned discussions as to the pro's and con's of RAID0.

    Does the device manager show the proper RAID controller device?

    if yes, then you need to go into device manager, and see if there is an
    "unrecognised disk" in there. if yes, give it a signature, then partition
    and format to your liking. Only after you do that will the drive "appear" in
    Explorer and be available to the system for use.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Dec 7, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=

    Larry Hodges Guest

    He shouldn't have to do that Tony. He should be able to set up and
    configure raid drivers after XP is installed. You only need to install them
    from floppy at the beginning of the installation if you intend on installing
    the OS on that array. In this case he's simply adding it as a second drive.

    -Larry

    Larry Hodges, Dec 7, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=

    Tom Ferguson Guest

    Classic View, Control Panel Administrative Tools Computer
    Management Disk Management

    Does it show up there?

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Tom Ferguson, Dec 7, 2006
  10. =?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=

    Noone Guest

    Yes. You have to go to disk manager and create a partition and then format
    the drive before it will show up in "My Computer".

    Noone, Dec 7, 2006
  11. Yes, I'm begining to realize that, and that in turn makes me realize that
    perhaps the only responsibility the driver has is to attach the RAID
    contrroller to the OS's SCSI subsystem! Data arriving at the controller will
    see an ordinary drive in all circumstances, so should the OS - why SCSI?

    It's a rethorical question, unless someone feels like throwing some light on
    it.

    I still don't know why this is a convenient way to handle this - just as I
    have always wondered why 'burner' devices was hooked up to the SCSI
    subsystem, it's a curious thing, but it will not keep me awake for very
    long.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 7, 2006
  12. Thanks! Wasn't aware of compmgmt.crm - did the trick! Now, please check my
    new thread on how to install the RAID drivers again during Windows install
    from a CD.

    =?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=, Dec 8, 2006
  13. =?Utf-8?B?Um9tZW9K?=

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Even onboard SATA controllers require the drivers. In his case, he's
    probably talking SATA, not SCSI.

    In my case, my Adaptec 39320 PCI controller was recognized by x64 and had
    drivers on the install CD. I originally installed to a single disk. After
    some time, I acquired some other drives, so I created a RAID0 array with two
    Fujitsu 15k U320 drives using Adaptec's Storage Manager software from within
    x64. I then used Norton Ghost to move my installation from the single drive
    to the new array. Booted right up. I use the other 10k SCSI drive for data
    storage and backups now.

    Many here advise against RAID0 because of data loss potential. I back up to
    DAT and HDD so that isn't an issue for me. And the performance increase is
    striking...I'll risk it.

    Larry Hodges, Dec 8, 2006
  14. Probably SATA - yes, but underneath they are mimicking SCSI all the same as
    soon as RAID comes into play. (Or, indeed 'burners'!)

    This is much more obvious with Linux, but I think you can see it in Device
    Manager as well?

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Dec 8, 2006
  15. RomeoJ wrote:

    >Did some searching, found the nVidia drivers, and installed them. Got the
    >RAID controller and the RAID array to show up in Device Manager. The array
    >shows up as "NVIDIA STRIPE 465.77 GB" in Disk Drives. Still a no show in My
    >Computer.

    And I'm betting that the "SCSI/RAID Host Controller" entry has disappeared
    (it morphed into the nVidia RAID Controller when you installed the right
    driver). The individual drives would have disappeared too, replaced by the
    stripe.

    >Do I need to format the drives, or do something special to actually be able
    >to use the array? It's working properly according to Device Manager

    Yup. Just like any other additional hard drive. Use the Disk Management
    section of Computer Management (accessible in Administrative Tools, or
    compmgmt.msc).

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Dec 8, 2006