    entries be installed, i've had some success with backing up the programs reg
    entries before on certain programs, your help is greatly appreciated, many
    thanks for your time or links....

    Joe_Z, Dec 5, 2004

  2. Joe_Z

    Rob K Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:53:44 GMT, Joe_Z wrote:

    > Greetings

    <snip>

    If I understand you correctly, you want a dual boot, so if in case the
    one OS 'goes south' the other can take over smoothly.
    Uh-uh, no such thing exists.

    The whole (Windows) world want such a failsafe arrangement, right ?

    --
    My E-mail address in ROT-13:

    Rob K, Dec 5, 2004

  3. Joe_Z

    Guest

    On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 22:53:44 GMT, "Joe_Z" <> wrote:

    |> Greetings
    |>
    |> i have installed applications on D:/ for a few years now with only a few
    |> programs having issues, i did a google and mainly found win os related
    |> advice or dual os advice and not much program advice, if you would, any
    |> links that explain what goes with the reg as far as installing programs to a
    |> different partition other than C:/ would be of great help, i'm trying to set
    |> a system up so, as you might have guessed, windows goes south or corrupts i
    |> won't need to reinstall all the programs again, or possibly being able to
    |> move programs to another systemor via cdr backup and not loose there
    |> configuration or settings, i know some programs require a good amount of reg
    |> entries be installed, i've had some success with backing up the programs reg
    |> entries before on certain programs, your help is greatly appreciated, many
    |> thanks for your time or links....

    No, if you lose your operating system you will also need to reinstall
    any programs. You can not just take and move a Program to another system
    and expect it to work, you will need to reinstall it.

    There are exceptions but they are very rare (and appreciated in my
    view). They don't write to the registry, using .INI files to direct it's
    actions, If these programs are moved to a different partition the .ini
    would need to be edited reflecting the change.

    To understand what goes on when you install a program use InstallWatch
    when installing your next program.

    Another program you might find of interest is InstallRite as it will
    allow you to move programs to another location - Ok you can move
    programs, you just need help doing it :)

    Both of these programs are located at:
    http://www.epsilonsquared.com/
    and free of charge.

    , Dec 6, 2004
  4. Joe_Z

    Joe_Z Guest

    not dual boot, i'd like to install programs on D partition and win xp on C
    partition, i've had verious success with most programs but it's seems like
    the more copy righted the software is the more reg involved it is, just
    looking for tips thanks...

    Joe_Z, Dec 6, 2004
  5. Joe_Z

    Joe_Z Guest