    same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
    or where can I get an installation cd copy.

    , Mar 28, 2007

  2. Gordon Guest

    wrote:

    > I have attempted to install a printer on xp. The printer wizard keeps
    > asking for a cd from Windows, what cd the program was installed when I
    > got the pc. I have the installation cd for the printer but I get the
    > same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
    > or where can I get an installation cd copy.

    See if you have a folder called "I386" (without the quotes) on your HDD. If
    you do (you may have to enable Hidden and System Files and Folders in
    windows Explorer to see it), when asked for the Windows CD navigate to that
    folder.

    Gordon, Mar 28, 2007

  3. Guest

    On Mar 28, 6:28 am, Gordon <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have attempted to install a printer on xp. The printer wizard keeps
    > > asking for a cd from Windows, what cd the program was installed when I
    > > got the pc. I have the installation cd for the printer but I get the
    > > same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
    > > or where can I get an installation cd copy.

    > See if you have a folder called "I386" (without the quotes) on your HDD. If
    > you do (you may have to enable Hidden and System Files and Folders in
    > windows Explorer to see it), when asked for the Windows CD navigate to that
    > folder.

    Hi Gordon: I thank you for your response. I tried to install the
    printer I got all the way to where the printer wizard says to print
    test then I get message type path windows xp cd rom UNIDRV.DLL I guess
    I did something wrong. Can you help me with the next step? I tried to
    go to i386 for that UNIDRV but it wasn't in there. Thanks maria!

    , Mar 28, 2007
  4. Guest

  5. Keme Guest

    skrev:
    > I have attempted to install a printer on xp. The printer wizard keeps
    > asking for a cd from Windows, what cd the program was installed when I
    > got the pc. I have the installation cd for the printer but I get the
    > same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
    > or where can I get an installation cd copy.

    Is it a "hostbased" printer (i.e. no formatting engine in the printer,
    all work done by the connected PC, or "host")? If so, there may be an
    updated driver for XP on the maker's website. In my experience, more
    often than not, the printer is obsoleted when you upgrade your OS
    (updated drivers are not made available)

    Keme, Mar 30, 2007
  6. wrote:
    > I have attempted to install a printer on xp. The printer wizard keeps
    > asking for a cd from Windows, what cd the program was installed when I
    > got the pc. I have the installation cd for the printer but I get the
    > same message for the pc. Is there anything I can to get around this
    > or where can I get an installation cd copy.
    > Maybe the software is faulty or maybe the XP is not the original!

    Did happen to me once and when I installed the same printer with a "real
    XP" the installation went perfect!
    Also if you don't have an installation disk go to www.brother. com or
    whatever the printer brand is and you get the driver from the
    manufacturer, sometimes even the manual!

    stanislaw Iber, Mar 31, 2007