Installing printer drivers for shared printers ?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Peter Lawton, May 17, 2005.

  1. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    I've got several printers spooled from a 32 bit print server, I want to
    connect to these from an x64 machine.

    Whenever I try to connect the x64 machine to the network shared printer it
    says the driver doesn't exist on the print server, in the "sharing" tab on
    the printer properties on the print server I have the option to install an
    x64 driver for remote printers, but I can't find the files it needs.

    The x64 box has the drivers if I install the printer locally but I've
    pointed the 32bit print server at all parts of the x64 CD and it can't seem
    to find the additional drivers it needs?

    Anyone know how to install the drivers?

    Thanks

    Peter

    Peter Lawton, May 17, 2005

  2. Hi,
    should work :
    point the installed printer, right mouse click -> go properties
    ->on the "network release" tab (i 'm german ?) point to "additional
    drivers"

    you may need a driverdisk from the manufakturer

    regards jk

    Juergen Kluth, May 17, 2005

  3. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    Yes, I've tried that. The manufacturer doesn't have the drivers yet but the
    x64 machine does already have drivers for the printer built in from
    Microsoft, what I'm trying to do is install the built in x64 drivers into
    the "additional drivers" on the 32bit printer, but it can't find them
    anywhere on the x64 CD.

    Peter

    Peter Lawton, May 17, 2005
  4. Click Start > Printers & Faxes > Add Printer > "Welcome to the Add Printer
    wizard" > click "Next" > select "A network printer, or a printer attached to
    a nother computer > "Next" > select "Connect to this printer (or to browse
    for a printer, select this option and click next"

    Here is an example of Name: \\Computer-name\LexmarkZ452

    Click next and click finish.
    --

    Andre
    http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

    Andre Da Costa, May 17, 2005
  5. The printers you have setup on your print server are probably PCL5, install
    PCL6 drivers, for the printers on your print server, then try it. It should
    work as PCL6 is the satndard for XP64.

    You want to point to the /amd64/ntprint.inf file

    It seems X64 doesnt support PCL5

    =?Utf-8?B?RFY=?=, May 18, 2005
  6. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    I solved the issue eventually, I had to open the printer properties of the
    shared printer on the x64 machine while I was trying to connect to it and
    then install the x64 printer drivers on the 32bit machine remotely from the
    x64 machine, seems backwards to me, but it worked.

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, May 18, 2005
  7. If the server is Server 2003 SP1, you get a direct option for adding the x64
    print drivers. But earlier versions of server products don't provide the
    option, since they don't know about x64 Edition, obviously.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2005
  8. Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton Guest

    The server is 2003 SP1, but I couldn't find anywhere to install the x64
    drivers from when I was on that server, I tried pointing it at an x64
    install CD with no luck.

    The only way I could find to install the x64 drivers onto the W2003 SP1
    32bit server was remotely from the x64 server.

    Peter Lawton

    Peter Lawton, May 18, 2005