Installing Paint.net / .NET Framework 3.5

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ozark, Dec 6, 2009.

  1. Ozark

    Ozark Guest

    Hi Guys,

    I have received plenty of help from others here so I'm doing my small
    part to repay the favor.

    After removing a particularly aggravating virus from my computer I had
    to reinstall Paint.net. In order to install Paint.net I needed to
    install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

    This was a major PITA! I put approximately twelve hours into this
    before I was able to get it installed. Maybe I can save you some
    pain.

    I am running XP Media SP3 32 bit.Apparently XP SP interferes with .Net
    modifications. I tried following MS directions and was unsuccessful.

    Here's what worked for me:

    I down loaded Stebner's .NET Framework cleanup tool. at:
    http://cid-27e6a35d1a492af7.skydrive.li ... p_tool.zip

    I also down loaded .NET Framework Version 1.1 from MS.

    I ran the cleanup tool and restarted my computer.

    I installed .NET Framework Version 1.1

    ( Note: Stebner recommends installing 2.0 at this point. It would not
    install because I am running a 32 bit OS )

    Then I installed Paint.net. It automatically updated the Framework.Net
    to 3.5

    I restarted the computer and Paint.net was ready to roll!

    I recommend using IE during the download / install process. Firefox
    may have been part of the initial problem.

    Good Luck!

    Ozark
    Ozark, Dec 6, 2009

  2. Ozark

    thanatoid Guest

    Ozark <> wrote in
    ups.com:

    > Hi Guys,
    >
    > I have received plenty of help from others here so I'm
    > doing my small part to repay the favor.
    >
    > After removing a particularly aggravating virus from my
    > computer I had to reinstall Paint.net. In order to install
    > Paint.net I needed to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

    <SNIP>

    While I am sure someone will benefit from your info, I have to
    comment.

    No one knows what .NET Framework /really/ contains, and when it
    first appeared, I was still on a modem and I was not going to
    spend an hour or two downloading something unknown that some
    dumb program needed - I just found another program that did the
    same. Even now that I have the blazing 1MB connection, I still
    do not have .NET Framework installed and never will.

    (I also avoid programs that use the MSI installer, just in case
    you care ;-)

    Simply, any program that needs .net or MSI is dead to me. Any
    software author that falls for that stuff is automatically
    suspect as well. There are always alternatives.

    In VERY few cases, I could not find alternatives to something
    that needed MSI but I trust MSI more than I trust .net. Anyway,
    in those regrettable situations I try to uncompress all MSI
    files into their separate components and often it works - then I
    can see what's going on in there... If I can't, I think twice...
    thrice... Often I look for an alternative or rethink what I need
    to do, and if I /REALLY DO/ need to.

    I had NO idea what paint.net was so I looked it up. It looks
    very nice, but I would like to point out that you had a choice
    of about a hundred other excellent free paint programs which do
    NOT require evil MS system add-ons (yes, I know, all MS has EVER
    tried to do is make life easier for everyone - just
    incidentally, its owners' and hackers' /the/ easiest) and can
    probably do anything you want. Paint.net looks like just as much
    overkill as Photoshop or Gimp (/the/ free standard for top-level
    work) but like I said, there are hundreds, certainly dozens of
    other choices.

    Just my 2¢.

    --
    Deep in the night
    Flying very strange cargo

    Gliding so far
    That the eye cannot follow
    Where do they go
    We'll never know...

    (B.F.)
    thanatoid, Dec 7, 2009

  3. Ozark

    Ozark Guest

    On Dec 6, 9:37 pm, thanatoid <> wrote:
    > Ozark<> wrote innews:
    > ups.com:
    >
    > > Hi Guys,

    > > I have received plenty of help from others here so I'm
    > > doing my small part to repay the favor.

    > > After removing a particularly aggravating virus from my
    > > computer I had to reinstall Paint.net. In order to install
    > > Paint.net I needed to install .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

    > <SNIP>
    >
    > While I am sure someone will benefit from your info, I have to
    > comment.
    >
    > No one knows what .NET Framework /really/ contains, and when it
    > first appeared, I was still on a modem and I was not going to
    > spend an hour or two downloading something unknown that some
    > dumb program needed - I just found another program that did the
    > same. Even now that I have the blazing 1MB connection, I still
    > do not have .NET Framework installed and never will.
    >
    > (I also avoid programs that use the MSI installer, just in case
    > you care ;-)
    >
    > Simply, any program that needs .net or MSI is dead to me. Any
    > software author that falls for that stuff is automatically
    > suspect as well. There are always alternatives.
    >
    > In VERY few cases, I could not find alternatives to something
    > that needed MSI but I trust MSI more than I trust .net. Anyway,
    > in those regrettable situations I try to uncompress all MSI
    > files into their separate components and often it works - then I
    > can see what's going on in there... If I can't, I think twice...
    > thrice... Often I look for an alternative or rethink what I need
    > to do, and if I /REALLY DO/ need to.
    >
    > I had NO idea what paint.net was so I looked it up. It looks
    > very nice, but I would like to point out that you had a choice
    > of about a hundred other excellent free paint programs which do
    > NOT require evil MS system add-ons (yes, I know, all MS has EVER
    > tried to do is make life easier for everyone - just
    > incidentally, its owners' and hackers' /the/ easiest) and can
    > probably do anything you want. Paint.net looks like just as much
    > overkill as Photoshop or Gimp (/the/ free standard for top-level
    > work) but like I said, there are hundreds, certainly dozens of
    > other choices.
    >
    > Just my 2¢.
    >
    > --
    > Deep in the night
    > Flying very strange cargo
    > Our soul-ships pass by
    > Solo trips to the stars - in the sky
    >
    > Gliding so far
    > That the eye cannot follow
    > Where do they go
    > We'll never know...
    >
    > (B.F.)

    You are probably correct on all points. I occasionally use a photo
    editing program. Photo shop is out of my price range. I used Picasso
    for a while then a friend recommended Paint.net. I preferred the
    later. I do a little work with layers.

    After my latest experience with .NET Framework I can't say that I am a
    big fan of Framework either.

    Ozark
    Ozark, Dec 9, 2009