    do i need 32 bit windows, or is there a place where i can get the "missing"
    information. my computer never boots into the GUI section of the install,
    only the text.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=, Jun 11, 2005

  2. "redrider13" wrote:

    > i do not have 32 bit xp , and i'm trying to install 64 bit that i bought OEM.
    > do i need 32 bit windows, or is there a place where i can get the "missing"
    > information. my computer never boots into the GUI section of the install,
    > only the text.

    also, are there any step by step instructions for installing x64 on a clean
    system with no OS on it?

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=, Jun 11, 2005

  3. You don't need to do anything different from any other fresh install. Insert
    the CD, reboot your machine. When the installation mode starts, press F6 if
    you need to add a driver for your hard disk, otherwise follow through the
    steps.

    You say you can't get to the GUI portion. Could you be more specific? What
    are the symptoms?

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 11, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Could you provide your system information so someone can help. Are you
    trying to install on IDE or SATA. Did you use the F6 and install your SATA
    drivers.
    What does it reboot to. Back to the original TEXT install instructions or
    something else.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2005
  5. =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Incidentally I have one drive that has the same problem. NEVER have been
    able to get it to install on that drive. For that matter after I installed
    it on another drive and did a Ghost copy to the drive it still doesn't work.
    Win Pro x86 works on the other partition on the drive. No one has been able
    to help here and I am stuck with the extra drive on the system until I can
    get it to work. Hope that is not your problem or you may need to install
    another driver to install to. I would like to free up the SATA connector so
    I can attach a SATA DVD writer.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Incidentally, all of Hitachi tools for diagnosing specify x86 only, so maybe
    it is a driver problem, maybe related to NCQ, hope someone knows.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2005
  7. my system is:
    AMD 3500+
    1 gig corsair xms
    ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe
    eVGA 6800 GT
    2 Samsung spinpoint series (120 GB)

    The GUI will not load and the text install will repeat itself, i think
    because the HDD's arent being picked up by BIOS.

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=, Jun 11, 2005
  8. =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    You can see the bios on the POST if you turn off the splash screen in the
    bios. Mine shows up in the bios, Same motherboard as yours, I have 2 gig
    Corsair and an MSI 6600GT. When I load to my Hitachi it does the same as
    yours. When I load to my Samsung drive it reboots to GUI. Only thing I am
    aware of is Hitachi seems to have some problems with the x64 system. I have
    a Samsung 1213c 120 gig and a Samsung 1614c 160 gig drive. It installs fine
    on them (I have the beta on one and OEM final on the other). Only
    difference I have that I know of is that the Hitachi is SATA II and has NCQ.
    One other point is you do not need to F6 drivers unless you are using RAID.
    It caused me problems with the install when I did that, but I don't remember
    what the problem was. The nForce4 chip has the SATA drivers built in.

    John Barnes, Jun 11, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=, Jun 12, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Sorry, I didn't use RAID You should be able to use one of the sets of RAID
    drivers of of the motherboard CD you got. You will have to extract them to
    a floppy and F6 when requested. You should be able to use either the Nvidia
    or Silicon Image RAID for raid0 and there is an extract to floppy utility on
    the cd for each of these. Check your motherboard manual page 5-20 etc for
    instructions for setup. The Motherboard CD is pretty self explanatory for
    creating the floppy. Hope you have one. You will probably need to use
    another computer to make them. Good Luck.

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005
  11. I have the Samsungs (nice drives, very quiet) on my Asus A8V Deluxe. Using
    the VIA RAID controller, you need to download NEW DRIVERS for it, and then
    use F6. The older drivers will work for the first part of the install (in
    text mode) and you think you're OK, but then you get a reboot when it first
    goes to GUI. That's a sure sign that the drivers aren't properly decorated.

    The Promise controller won't work right now in SATA mode. Only in RAID mode.
    Again, you need new drivers for it.

    For drivers, go direct to the mfg of the controller, or go to
    www.planetamd64.com - they have both.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005
  12. =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    He doesn't have an A8V he has an A8N the NVIDIA chipset. No Promise, jus
    SI and NVIDIA RAID options. SATA drivers are built in on Nforce4.

    John Barnes, Jun 12, 2005
  13. still needs updated drivers if he reboots at GUI setup. That's an almost sure
    fire sign of bad decorations and thus unrecognized HD. see kb 314859

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 12, 2005

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=, Jun 12, 2005
  15. "redrider13" wrote:

    > "John Barnes" wrote:
    >
    > > He doesn't have an A8V he has an A8N the NVIDIA chipset. No Promise, jus
    > > SI and NVIDIA RAID options. SATA drivers are built in on Nforce4.
    > >

    > > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > > >I have the Samsungs (nice drives, very quiet) on my Asus A8V Deluxe. Using
    > > >the VIA RAID controller, you need to download NEW DRIVERS for it, and then
    > > >use F6. The older drivers will work for the first part of the install (in
    > > >text mode) and you think you're OK, but then you get a reboot when it first
    > > >goes to GUI. That's a sure sign that the drivers aren't properly decorated.
    > > >
    > > > The Promise controller won't work right now in SATA mode. Only in RAID
    > > > mode. Again, you need new drivers for it.
    > > >
    > > > For drivers, go direct to the mfg of the controller, or go to
    > > > www.planetamd64.com - they have both.
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > > Charlie.

    > > John, could you please send me the drivers via email (one i registered with) for the HDD's and RAID, i seemed to have misplaced my cd right now, or does the asus website have them?

    sorry my email is

    =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=, Jun 12, 2005
  16. =?Utf-8?B?cmVkcmlkZXIxMw==?=

    John Barnes Guest

    Asus website has the latest drivers and would be your best bet.

    John Barnes, Jun 13, 2005