Installing NTSC on win 2K?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tom Tricep, Jul 26, 2007.

  1. Tom Tricep

    Tom Tricep Guest

    Hello Good People:

    I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
    reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
    morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
    I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.

    1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?

    2. Do most programs work with xp that have worked with win 2K? I know
    that's a tough question.

    3. Can you use an xp disc on more than one computer if only one is
    connected to the internet? I am the only user. Puter "B" is not
    networked.

    3. I do office work, my programs are relatively primitive that I run.
    I do download and run DVD's, hence my problem.

    Thanks in advance. You guys and gals rock!

    Tom Tricep

    Tom Tricep, Jul 26, 2007

  2. Tom Tricep

    Guest

    Tom Tricep <> wrote:

    >I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
    >reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
    >morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
    >I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.

    That's NTFS

    >1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?

    NTFS, Yes

    Start | Run <type in>
    cmd /k convert /?
    <enter>

    Will just show info on the command, this will not do anything to your
    drives.
    --
    Fourth grade math genius calculates
    a high probability of getting beat up

    , Jul 26, 2007

  3. Tom Tricep wrote:

    > Hello Good People:

    G'day.

    > I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
    > reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
    > morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
    > I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.

    Which of these applies to your statement?
    http://www.acronymattic.com/results.aspx?q=NTSC

    > 1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?

    Let's first find out what NTSC is.

    > 2. Do most programs work with xp that have worked with win 2K? I know
    > that's a tough question.

    Many, if not most, will work with both versions of the OS.

    > 3. Can you use an xp disc on more than one computer if only one is
    > connected to the internet? I am the only user. Puter "B" is not
    > networked.

    You mean you want to move the hard disc (drive) from one to another?

    XP may check your hardware, think it is on a new computer than the one
    it was registered on, and require you to re-authenticate with Microsoft.
    Do you want to have that hassle every time you move the drive?

    > 3. I do office work, my programs are relatively primitive that I run.

    Then why not stay with Win2K, which is probably the most stable OS that
    ever came from Redmond.

    > I do download and run DVD's, hence my problem.

    I play DVDs on my Win2K box, though they are from DVD disks, not
    downloaded.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 26, 2007
  4. Tom Tricep

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 12:37:50 -0700, Tom Tricep wrote:

    > Hello Good People:
    >
    > I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
    > reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
    > morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
    > I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.
    >
    > 1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?
    >
    > 2. Do most programs work with xp that have worked with win 2K? I know
    > that's a tough question.
    >
    > 3. Can you use an xp disc on more than one computer if only one is
    > connected to the internet? I am the only user. Puter "B" is not
    > networked.
    >
    > 3. I do office work, my programs are relatively primitive that I run.
    > I do download and run DVD's, hence my problem.
    >
    > Thanks in advance. You guys and gals rock!
    >
    > Tom Tricep

    Why not add a new internal hard drive formatted with NTFS? Should be able
    to pick up a 200 gig for 50 bucks or so. It would be safer than converting
    your current file system.

    Meat Plow, Jul 26, 2007
  5. Tom Tricep wrote:

    > Hello Good People:
    >
    > I have win 2k with fat 32. My puter guy set it up that way for some
    > reason eons ago, or at least 2 years ago. My office software has
    > morphed, so I can go to NTSC and win xp if need be. I need NTSC cause
    > I can't convert files over 4gig with fat 32.
    >
    > 1. Can I install NTSC on my win2K or must I go to and install xp?

    Since you are not talking about television standards, it is probably "NTFS".
    Open a "command prompt" or type "cmd" in start - run, then "convert /?" for
    a brief explanation of what it does.
    Remember, there is no way back from ntfs to fat32 using windows tools.
    You may as well end with a cluster size of 512 Bytes only, which slows down
    your pc a bit, and leads to really bad fragmentation in the long run.

    > 2. Do most programs work with xp that have worked with win 2K? I know
    > that's a tough question.

    In fact, I have not seen one that doesn't. Instead, winxp runs many, mostly
    old dos/game programs, that win2k won't.

    > 3. Can you use an xp disc on more than one computer if only one is
    > connected to the internet? I am the only user. Puter "B" is not
    > networked.

    If you mean the harddisk, no (same goes for win2k) since it will detect the
    different hardware, barf for drivers or even refuse to start
    with "inaccessable boot device" bluescreen on different type chipsets/ide
    controllers, and finally (xp only) request re-activation due to changed
    hardware.
    If you mean a install cd, it *can* be done but you need to activate by phone
    with no internet unless you have a OEM "branded" or bios-locked key/cd.
    Though, it is not permitted by the EULA.

    > 3. I do office work, my programs are relatively primitive that I run.
    > I do download and run DVD's, hence my problem.

    As already told, "convert" will do that for you, but you need to defragment
    regularly afterwards, and/or use 3rd-party tools to change the clustersize
    to the usual 4kB.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Jul 27, 2007