    scan on crucial.com. it said I have 256 too..just wondering if it
    could be my pc reading it wrong...doubt it though...I did get a note
    that says I can return for refund or exchange it within 30 days.

    mooky, Aug 19, 2007

  2. mooky

    mooky Guest

    On Aug 18, 10:11 pm, mooky <> wrote:
    > I bought 2 sticks of 512m pc133 64x4 sdram on ebay and installed it a
    > few mins ago. Both sticks read as a total of 512 and not 1gb for some
    > reason. Also found out I have a bad memory slot because my PC freezes
    > no matter which RAM I use, new or old. I know my 2 sticks of Kingston
    > 256 work fine, that's what I had before, and pc froze using boith my
    > 256 sticks and worked fine with just one...so I was replacing them to
    > get a gig...I thought my PC was reading them wrong, but after a memory
    > scan on crucial.com. it said I have 256 too..just wondering if it
    > could be my pc reading it wrong...doubt it though...I did get a note
    > that says I can return for refund or exchange it within 30 days.

    I was searching online and found a free system checking program called
    CPU-Z. It checked to give me detailed info about my RAM and syatem. It
    read the 512 correctly, but when I boot up my PC, the memory test that
    shows up shows the wrong memory as well as in XP. How can I get it to
    read the correct 512?

    mooky, Aug 19, 2007

  3. mooky

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:35:38 -0700, mooky wrote:

    >On Aug 18, 10:11 pm, mooky <> wrote:
    >> I bought 2 sticks of 512m pc133 64x4 sdram on ebay and installed it a

    You get what you pay for.

    >> few mins ago. Both sticks read as a total of 512 and not 1gb for some
    >> reason. Also found out I have a bad memory slot because my PC freezes
    >> no matter which RAM I use, new or old. I know my 2 sticks of Kingston

    You get what you pay for, including support, returns policy.

    >> 256 work fine, that's what I had before, and pc froze using boith my
    >> 256 sticks and worked fine with just one...so I was replacing them to

    So with a suspected dud slot, in which it appears either of the 256MB
    work 1 at a time and same for the (2 x 512 showing as 1 x 512) you
    bought 2.

    >> get a gig...I thought my PC was reading them wrong, but after a memory
    >> scan on crucial.com. it said I have 256 too..just wondering if it

    Also a good vendor.

    >> could be my pc reading it wrong...doubt it though...I did get a note
    >> that says I can return for refund or exchange it within 30 days.

    >I was searching online and found a free system checking program called
    >CPU-Z. It checked to give me detailed info about my RAM and syatem. It
    >read the 512 correctly, but when I boot up my PC, the memory test that

    512 as 2 x 256 or 1 x 512, only 1 of those is correct more so if both
    512 were in.

    >shows up shows the wrong memory as well as in XP. How can I get it to
    >read the correct 512?

    What correct 512?

    You aren't making sense.

    You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
    motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
    Not that it matters now.

    Me

    why?, Aug 19, 2007
  4. mooky

    mooky Guest

    On Aug 19, 2:06 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 20:35:38 -0700, mooky wrote:
    > >On Aug 18, 10:11 pm, mooky <> wrote:
    > >> I bought 2 sticks of 512m pc133 64x4 sdram on ebay and installed it a

    > You get what you pay for.
    >
    > >> few mins ago. Both sticks read as a total of 512 and not 1gb for some
    > >> reason. Also found out I have a bad memory slot because my PC freezes
    > >> no matter which RAM I use, new or old. I know my 2 sticks of Kingston

    > You get what you pay for, including support, returns policy.
    >
    > >> 256 work fine, that's what I had before, and pc froze using boith my
    > >> 256 sticks and worked fine with just one...so I was replacing them to

    > So with a suspected dud slot, in which it appears either of the 256MB
    > work 1 at a time and same for the (2 x 512 showing as 1 x 512) you
    > bought 2.
    >
    > >> get a gig...I thought my PC was reading them wrong, but after a memory
    > >> scan on crucial.com. it said I have 256 too..just wondering if it

    > Also a good vendor.
    >
    > >> could be my pc reading it wrong...doubt it though...I did get a note
    > >> that says I can return for refund or exchange it within 30 days.

    > >I was searching online and found a free system checking program called
    > >CPU-Z. It checked to give me detailed info about my RAM and syatem. It
    > >read the 512 correctly, but when I boot up my PC, the memory test that

    > 512 as 2 x 256 or 1 x 512, only 1 of those is correct more so if both
    > 512 were in.
    >
    > >shows up shows the wrong memory as well as in XP. How can I get it to
    > >read the correct 512?

    > What correct 512?
    >
    > You aren't making sense.
    >
    > You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
    > motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
    > Not that it matters now.
    >
    > Me

    I don't think ot matters either...when crucial's mem. scanner read 512
    it read 512 with one stick in the left slot. Sounds like I am in need
    of a new pc...this pc is 6 years old p3 1ghz that I bought on ebay
    back then...I think it's best days are behind it. This morning with
    my 256 stick I had in there before, the pc would not boot...it did
    last night, but froze...I replaced it with the other 256mb stick I had
    and it booted up, but froze when browsing the web and sending email. I
    have a feeling my slots are bad...at least one is I know...

    mooky, Aug 19, 2007
  5. mooky

    mooky Guest

    On Aug 19, 12:55 pm, mooky <> wrote:
    > On Aug 19, 2:06 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    > > You get what you pay for.

    > > You get what you pay for, including support, returns policy.

    > > So with a suspected dud slot, in which it appears either of the 256MB
    > > work 1 at a time and same for the (2 x 512 showing as 1 x 512) you
    > > bought 2.

    > > Also a good vendor.

    > > >I was searching online and found a free system checking program called
    > > >CPU-Z. It checked to give me detailed info about my RAM and syatem. It
    > > >read the 512 correctly, but when I boot up my PC, the memory test that

    > > 512 as 2 x 256 or 1 x 512, only 1 of those is correct more so if both
    > > 512 were in.

    > > >shows up shows the wrong memory as well as in XP. How can I get it to
    > > >read the correct 512?

    > > What correct 512?

    > > You aren't making sense.

    > > You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
    > > motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
    > > Not that it matters now.

    > > Me

    > I don't think ot matters either...when crucial's mem. scanner read 512
    > it read 512 with one stick in the left slot. Sounds like I am in need
    > of a new pc...this pc is 6 years old p3 1ghz that I bought on ebay
    > back then...I think it's best days are behind it. This morning with
    > my 256 stick I had in there before, the pc would not boot...it did
    > last night, but froze...I replaced it with the other 256mb stick I had
    > and it booted up, but froze when browsing the web and sending email. I
    > have a feeling my slots are bad...at least one is I know...- Hide quoted text -

    also didn't mention that my memory I purchased is pc133 sdram non
    ECChow do I disable ecc in hte BIOS? I am guessing that may have
    something to do with my RAM problem..I hope it does

    mooky, Aug 19, 2007
  6. mooky

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 11:32:35 -0700, mooky wrote:

    >On Aug 19, 12:55 pm, mooky <> wrote:

    >> > You get what you pay for.

    >> > You get what you pay for, including support, returns policy.

    <snip>

    >> > What correct 512?

    >> > You aren't making sense.

    >> > You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
    >> > motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
    >> > Not that it matters now.

    >> > Me

    >> I don't think ot matters either...when crucial's mem. scanner read 512
    >> it read 512 with one stick in the left slot. Sounds like I am in need
    >> of a new pc...this pc is 6 years old p3 1ghz that I bought on ebay
    >> back then...I think it's best days are behind it. This morning with
    >> my 256 stick I had in there before, the pc would not boot...it did
    >> last night, but froze...I replaced it with the other 256mb stick I had
    >> and it booted up, but froze when browsing the web and sending email. I
    >> have a feeling my slots are bad...at least one is I know...- Hide quoted text -

    >also didn't mention that my memory I purchased is pc133 sdram non
    >ECChow do I disable ecc in hte BIOS? I am guessing that may have

    RTFM

    >something to do with my RAM problem..I hope it does

    You did confirm ECC/nonECC on the mobo then?

    From an earlier post in this thread,

    <quote>
    You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
    motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
    Not that it matters now.
    </quote>

    Not that it matters anymore, you didn't answer earlier and have asked
    about BIOS settings without the above information. It's going to be a
    waste of time looking up something you can do for yourself.

    Generally, RTFM.

    Me

    why?, Aug 19, 2007
  7. mooky

    WhzzKdd Guest

    <snpi>

    > <quote>
    > You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS of your
    > motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the memory.
    > Not that it matters now.
    > </quote>
    >
    > Not that it matters anymore, you didn't answer earlier and have asked
    > about BIOS settings without the above information. It's going to be a
    > waste of time looking up something you can do for yourself.
    >
    > Generally, RTFM.

    Well, with a name like mooky...

    WhzzKdd, Aug 19, 2007
  8. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >
    ><snpi>
    >
    >> <quote> You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS
    >> of your motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the
    >> memory. Not that it matters now. </quote>
    >>
    >> Not that it matters anymore, you didn't answer earlier and have asked
    >> about BIOS settings without the above information. It's going to be a
    >> waste of time looking up something you can do for yourself.
    >>
    >> Generally, RTFM.
    >>

    > Well, with a name like mooky...

    Hey.

    http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/W/Wilson_Mookie.stm

    :)

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 19, 2007
  9. mooky

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>
    >><snpi>
    >>
    >>> <quote> You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS
    >>> of your motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the
    >>> memory. Not that it matters now. </quote>
    >>>
    >>> Not that it matters anymore, you didn't answer earlier and have asked
    >>> about BIOS settings without the above information. It's going to be a
    >>> waste of time looking up something you can do for yourself.
    >>>
    >>> Generally, RTFM.
    >>>

    >> Well, with a name like mooky...

    > Hey.
    >
    > http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/W/Wilson_Mookie.stm
    >
    > :)

    Heh! I suppose...but the spelling's different ;)

    WhzzKdd, Aug 19, 2007
  10. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    >> WhzzKdd wrote:
    >>> "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>><snpi>

    >>> Well, with a name like mooky...

    >> Hey.
    >>
    >> http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/W/Wilson_Mookie.stm
    >>
    >> :)
    >>

    > Heh! I suppose...but the spelling's different ;)

    Semantics! :) That's one of the most famous plays in baseball, BTW.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 19, 2007
  11. mooky

    mooky Guest

    On Aug 19, 3:42 pm, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    > > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message

    > ><snpi>

    > >> <quote> You forgot to mention the exact make/ model / revision BIOS
    > >> of your motherboard. As well and any manufacturer part codes for the
    > >> memory. Not that it matters now. </quote>

    > >> Not that it matters anymore, you didn't answer earlier and have asked
    > >> about BIOS settings without the above information. It's going to be a
    > >> waste of time looking up something you can do for yourself.

    > >> Generally, RTFM.

    > > Well, with a name like mooky...

    > Hey.
    >
    > http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/W/Wilson_M...
    >
    > :)
    >
    > --
    > Blinky RLU 297263
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    I am using non ecc as that was was crucial recommended when I did the
    mem. scan. I did a search on how to disable ECC in the bios. I'm
    hoping that worked. some of the ecc disabling I couldn't do because I
    have an older Award 6.00pg BIOS. The motherboard is using the via
    chipset and is a biostar M6VLB. A pretty old one. the model RAM I have
    in there now(old stick of 256 I had in there previously) is Kingston
    256 pc133 SDRAM 64bit non ECC and the other was generic from what I
    can tell that I just received.

    mooky, Aug 19, 2007
  12. mooky

    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >>> Hey.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseballlibrary/ballplayers/W/Wilson_Mookie.stm
    >>>
    >>> :)
    >>>

    >> Heh! I suppose...but the spelling's different ;)

    > Semantics! :) That's one of the most famous plays in baseball, BTW.

    Well, I'd guess I've not watched 10 games in my life. Not a big fan. It's
    right there in the same category as bowling, golf, curling, table tennis,
    etc.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 19, 2007
  13. WhzzKdd wrote:
    > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >> That's one of the most famous plays in baseball, BTW.
    >>

    > Well, I'd guess I've not watched 10 games in my life. Not a big fan. It's
    > right there in the same category as bowling, golf, curling, table tennis,
    > etc.

    Nah. Its players are athletes. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 19, 2007
  14. mooky

    mooky Guest

    On Aug 19, 4:48 pm, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    > WhzzKdd wrote:
    > > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message
    > >> That's one of the most famous plays in baseball, BTW.

    > > Well, I'd guess I've not watched 10 games in my life. Not a big fan. It's
    > > right there in the same category as bowling, golf, curling, table tennis,
    > > etc.

    > Nah. Its players are athletes. :)
    >
    > --
    > Blinky RLU 297263
    > Killing all posts from Google Groups
    > The Usenet Improvement Project:http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    ok...so far I put one stick of 512 back in and disabled ECC..only
    entry in the BIOS I found was L2 Cache ECC or something like that, so
    I disabled it...so far no problems. XP and the BIOS reads it as 256mb
    but AIDA32 reads it as 512 and gives me detailed info about the RAM
    and my entire system. I am saving the extra 512 stick in case I need
    it and not going to put it in the 2nd slot since I probably will not
    notice that much of a difference.

    mooky, Aug 20, 2007
  15. mooky

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "mooky" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 19, 4:48 pm, Blinky the Shark <> wrote:
    >> WhzzKdd wrote:
    >> > "Blinky the Shark" <> wrote in message

    >> > Well, I'd guess I've not watched 10 games in my life. Not a big fan.
    >> > It's
    >> > right there in the same category as bowling, golf, curling, table
    >> > tennis,
    >> > etc.

    >> Nah. Its players are athletes. :)
    >>
    >> --
    >> Blinky RLU 297263
    >> Killing all posts from Google Groups
    >> The Usenet Improvement Project:http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    > ok...so far I put one stick of 512 back in and disabled ECC..only
    > entry in the BIOS I found was L2 Cache ECC or something like that, so
    > I disabled it...so far no problems. XP and the BIOS reads it as 256mb
    > but AIDA32 reads it as 512 and gives me detailed info about the RAM
    > and my entire system. I am saving the extra 512 stick in case I need
    > it and not going to put it in the 2nd slot since I probably will not
    > notice that much of a difference.

    Ah! Another situation of mucking about in settings that should be left
    alone. L2 cache is NOT your memory.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 20, 2007