Installing new motherboard and windows crashes

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jodleren, Oct 11, 2009.

  1. jodleren

    jodleren Guest

    Hello

    It is simple - I got a 900 MHZ board, put it in, and it crashes at
    mup.sys (yes I know about that).
    But, using my present HD, a 350W power supply and the motherboard I
    still get the same. My power supply is smaller, so I used a 350W.

    The motherboard has it all, so I do not need anything else (except a
    working one?).
    The battery was dead, so I got a new one, but already now it is
    complaining, and resetted the date to 2001. Guess? Something is
    terribly wrong on that mother board?

    Sorry, forgot to note the company name when stating up.

    My HD does still work in my old mother board.

    WBR
    Sonnich
    jodleren, Oct 11, 2009

  2. jodleren

    jodleren Guest

    On Oct 11, 8:26 pm, jodleren <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > It is simple - I got a 900 MHZ board, put it in, and it crashes at
    > mup.sys (yes I know about that).
    > But, using my present HD, a 350W power supply and the motherboard I
    > still get the same. My power supply is smaller, so I used a 350W.
    >
    > The motherboard has it all, so I do not need anything else (except a
    > working one?).
    > The battery was dead, so I got a new one, but already now it is
    > complaining, and resetted the date to 2001. Guess? Something is
    > terribly wrong on that mother board?
    >
    > Sorry, forgot to note the company name when stating up.
    >
    > My HD does still work in my old mother board.
    >
    > WBR
    > Sonnich

    It is American Megatrends, release 12/13/2000 (but I wonder who the
    manufacturer of the board is?
    Well, now it does not start up even.

    I just tried it on another HD, with only XP on it, and the same
    applies. Mup.sys and that is it. Battery dead too.

    I guess I better trash that mother board

    WBR
    Sonnich
    jodleren, Oct 11, 2009

  3. "jodleren" <> wrote in message
    On Oct 11, 8:26 pm, jodleren <> wrote:
    > Hello
    >
    > It is simple - I got a 900 MHZ board, put it in, and it crashes at
    > mup.sys (yes I know about that).
    > But, using my present HD, a 350W power supply and the motherboard I
    > still get the same. My power supply is smaller, so I used a 350W.
    >
    > The motherboard has it all, so I do not need anything else (except a
    > working one?).
    > The battery was dead, so I got a new one, but already now it is
    > complaining, and resetted the date to 2001. Guess? Something is
    > terribly wrong on that mother board?
    >
    > Sorry, forgot to note the company name when stating up.
    >
    > My HD does still work in my old mother board.
    >
    > WBR
    > Sonnich

    It is American Megatrends, release 12/13/2000 (but I wonder who the
    manufacturer of the board is?
    Well, now it does not start up even.

    I just tried it on another HD, with only XP on it, and the same
    applies. Mup.sys and that is it. Battery dead too.

    I guess I better trash that mother board

    WBR
    Sonnich

    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and wonder aloud if a motherboard made in
    2000 can work with XP, SP3. (Assuming you've kept up with the upgrades.) If
    the motherboard works, you might need to boot it the first time with the CD
    that comes with it so that the drivers load.

    If your HDD is good, then your boot information (drivers and such) is still
    for the old MB, and there can easily be a conflict between the old drivers
    and the new hardware. If you have another machine and don't have the CD, you
    can go to the Webpage for American Megatrends and get the latest drivers.

    It might not work, but it might. Frankly, you can go to Fry's and get a
    pretty nice board and CPU for $100-ish, and throw a pile of RAM at it for
    another $50-ish. I just use my machine for business aps, and I put in a
    board, CPU, 4G of RAM and a 640G HDD for about $200, and got a $25 rebate on
    the RAM. Why dick around with a 900Mhz board when you can get a 2.1Ghz board
    reasonably cheap?
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 11, 2009
  4. jodleren

    GTS Guest

    If you are trying to boot an XP installation on your old hard drive with a
    new motherboard, this is the normal result unless the CPU and chip set is
    identical or nearly so. The fact that this occurs after Windows has started
    to load tends to indicate that there is probably nothing wrong with the
    motherboard. If in doubt, test it with a bootable Linux or other software
    distribution like UBCD.

    The standard solution to this is either perform an in-place repair
    reinstallation of Windows or a new installation.

    How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341

    GTS, Oct 12, 2009
  5. "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "jodleren" <> wrote in message
    >> On Oct 11, 8:26 pm, jodleren <> wrote:
    >>> Hello

    > SNIP SNIP SNIP
    >
    >> It might not work, but it might. Frankly, you can go to Fry's and get a
    >> pretty nice board and CPU for $100-ish, and throw a pile of RAM at it for
    >> another $50-ish. I just use my machine for business aps, and I put in a
    >> board, CPU, 4G of RAM and a 640G HDD for about $200, and got a $25 rebate
    >> on the RAM. Why dick around with a 900Mhz board when you can get a 2.1Ghz
    >> board reasonably cheap?
    >>

    > Hey, Jeff,
    > Can you post the brand/stats on that mb/CPU combo for $100 from Fry's? Is
    > it a micro or full size board? AMD processor? On-board graphics? That
    > sounds like a great deal.

    Fry's runs an add in the local paper and online. The mix of advertised
    specials changes frequently. You can go to www.frys.com to see what the
    special today is, and tomorrow it might be different so you have to go back
    often.

    I bought I bought a Gigabyte-brand soemthing-or-other with dual BIOS -- a
    feature I do not fully understand or utelize -- with processor for $70. I
    have a 2.7GHz Athlon with DDR2 800MHz RAM. With the board, CPU, RAM and HDD
    (640G Western Digital SATA), the bill came to $200, and I got a rebate on
    the RAM, making the total price $175.

    My board has some manner of graphs built in, but I'm not a heavy graphic
    user, and whatever is there suits me fine. The graphics is NV GeF6150.

    I've seen the same special that I got repeated, but I'm sure any gamer or a
    heavy-graphics user would want better stuff than I have. With what I paid,
    I'm sure you could get a nice board and processor for $100 ~ $125. Of
    course, you can spend far more, but I can't imagine why. Video editing might
    push you to the higher priced systems, I suppose.
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 12, 2009
  6. "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "James D. Andrews" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jeff Strickland" <> wrote in message

    >>> SNIP SNIP SNIP

    >>> Hey, Jeff,
    >>> Can you post the brand/stats on that mb/CPU combo for $100 from Fry's?
    >>> Is it a micro or full size board? AMD processor? On-board graphics?
    >>> That sounds like a great deal.
    >>>

    >> Fry's runs an add in the local paper and online. The mix of advertised
    >> specials changes frequently. You can go to www.frys.com to see what the
    >> special today is, and tomorrow it might be different so you have to go
    >> back often.
    >>
    >> I bought I bought a Gigabyte-brand soemthing-or-other with dual BIOS -- a
    >> feature I do not fully understand or utelize -- with processor for $70. I
    >> have a 2.7GHz Athlon with DDR2 800MHz RAM. With the board, CPU, RAM and
    >> HDD (640G Western Digital SATA), the bill came to $200, and I got a
    >> rebate on the RAM, making the total price $175.
    >>
    >> My board has some manner of graphs built in, but I'm not a heavy graphic
    >> user, and whatever is there suits me fine. The graphics is NV GeF6150.
    >>
    >> I've seen the same special that I got repeated, but I'm sure any gamer or
    >> a heavy-graphics user would want better stuff than I have. With what I
    >> paid, I'm sure you could get a nice board and processor for $100 ~ $125.
    >> Of course, you can spend far more, but I can't imagine why. Video editing
    >> might push you to the higher priced systems, I suppose.
    >>

    > Thanks on the info.
    > I'm not a gamer or vid editor, though I'm looking at video capture cards
    > with one raised eyebrow (for copying VHS to DVD) and I have an unused
    > Radeon 7000 laying around here I was thinking of using. Other than that, I
    > only need the speed to keep up and the memory to handle more open windows,
    > so I'm not a big user, either. A few PCI slots (or PCIe or ...) are the
    > biggest thing I'm looking for.
    >
    > Just signed up for the Fry's newsletter. That should keep me informed.
    > I've only been to the local store a couple times. It's on the north side
    > of Dallas in a heavy traffic zone while I'm south of FW - and I hate
    > traffic.

    I have a video capture from Pinnacle Systems. I have migrated some VHS
    footage to a DVD. It's pretty cool, I can add in audio tracks for naration
    and music -- two separate tracks -- and add in text edits. Of course, it
    lays down the chapters on DVD with chapter titles and stuff that you will
    want to edit too. I bought it a few years ago, and I recall three or four
    versions with differing price points. I selected the second or third price
    point, the bottom had too few features and the top had more than I would
    expect to need. The one I bought gives me features that I actually used.

    I can also throw in a boat-load of stills and they are arranged in a slide
    show with fades and stuff ...

    I did all of this on my Vista machine, but frankly the stuff I got from Frys
    makes my XP box superior to the Vista box -- issues with Vista being
    completely ignored.

    Anyway, it sounds like you can use the board, CPU, and RAM that I bought.
    You may as well get an HDD too. (hehehe)
    Jeff Strickland, Oct 13, 2009