Installing new HD, pls help

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by jazu, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. jazu

    jazu Guest

    I have 3 IDE Hard Drives now and my system works fine. I am adding one more
    ATA Hard Drive. In BIOS if I enable or disable ATA ( which one should be?),
    when computer starts in both cases I can see on black screen (before Windows
    kick in) that name of new HD appears.
    When windows completely start, my computer doesn't see this HD.
    I want this ATA HD to be just storage. My K8V Asus MB has 4 plugs for SATA:
    SATA1
    SATA2
    PRI_SATA
    SEC_SATA
    Which one should I use? I try all of them.

    In BIOS, what should be?:
    RAID or Onboard IDE controller.

    I try all combinations, but in windows I still can't see this new ATA HD.
    What could I do wrong?
    I'd very appreciate suggestions how to solve it.
    Thanks

    jazu, Mar 2, 2008

  2. jazu

    Jimbo Guest

    "jazu" <> wrote in message
    >I have 3 IDE Hard Drives now and my system works fine. I am adding one more
    >ATA Hard Drive. In BIOS if I enable or disable ATA ( which one should be?),
    >when computer starts in both cases I can see on black screen (before
    >Windows kick in) that name of new HD appears.
    > When windows completely start, my computer doesn't see this HD.
    > I want this ATA HD to be just storage. My K8V Asus MB has 4 plugs for
    > SATA:

    Keep in mind that ATA and SATA are NOT the same.
    What kind of drives do you have? Are they ATA or SATA?

    > SATA1
    > SATA2
    > PRI_SATA
    > SEC_SATA
    > Which one should I use? I try all of them.
    >
    > In BIOS, what should be?:
    > RAID or Onboard IDE controller.

    Do a google search on RAID. RAID is something different than IDE vs. SATA.

    > I try all combinations, but in windows I still can't see this new ATA HD.
    > What could I do wrong?
    > I'd very appreciate suggestions how to solve it.
    > Thanks

    Figure out the following . . .

    (1) Are the drives in your system IDE (ATA) or SATA
    (2) Is the drive you want to add IDE or SATA

    An SATA interface looks like . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

    And, an IDE interface looks like . . .
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Technology_Attachment

    In your question, you are mixing technologies and using the terms as if they
    are the same thing.
    Google the terms and that will clear up a few things for you.

    Jimbo, Mar 2, 2008

  3. jazu

    jazu Guest

    > Figure out the following . . .
    >
    > (1) Are the drives in your system IDE (ATA) or SATA

    IDE

    > (2) Is the drive you want to add IDE or SATA

    SATA

    What about jumper on new drive? I did buy OEM HD and was not given any
    bridge.

    jazu, Mar 2, 2008
  4. jazu

    JTJersey Guest

    On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 09:28:57 +0000, jazu wrote:

    >> Figure out the following . . .
    >>
    >> (1) Are the drives in your system IDE (ATA) or SATA

    > IDE
    >
    >> (2) Is the drive you want to add IDE or SATA

    > SATA
    >
    > What about jumper on new drive? I did buy OEM HD and was not given any
    > bridge.

    SATA drives don't generally have jumpers on them and none are needed.

    --
    Registered Linux User #267152

    JTJersey, Mar 2, 2008