    drive, then repeat on D, unfortunately does not install under x64

    what would you suggest to put the two new drives in and remove the
    old, without pain and risk?
    Mike De Petris, Jan 28, 2007

  2. Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what you
    want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable CD
    to do the job.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 28, 2007

  3. Mike De Petris

    John Barnes Guest

    I'm surprised that they don't have one that can be run from a floppy.
    Maxtor's maxblast does (did). But then maybe you don't have a floppy. :)

    John Barnes, Jan 28, 2007
  4. On Jan 28, 8:54 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    <> wrote:
    > Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what you
    > want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable CD
    > to do the job.

    Do you mean Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 ? That's what best seem to do the
    same as Seagate SeaTools.
    Mike De Petris, Jan 28, 2007
  5. On Jan 28, 10:52 pm, "Mike De Petris" <> wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 8:54 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > > Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what you
    > > want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable CD
    > > to do the job.Do you mean Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 ? That's what best seem to do the

    > same as Seagate SeaTools.

    Sorry, I mean Seagate DiskWizard, as SeaTool is the boot floppy/cd
    Mike De Petris, Jan 28, 2007
  6. On Jan 28, 10:56 pm, "Mike De Petris" <> wrote:
    > On Jan 28, 10:52 pm, "Mike De Petris" <> wrote:
    >
    > > On Jan 28, 8:54 pm, "Charlie Russel - MVP"

    > > <> wrote:
    > > > Acronis - they have a disk cloning function that will do exactly what you
    > > > want. Should load directly from x64, but they also can create a bootable CD
    > > > to do the job.Do you mean Acronis Migrate Easy 7.0 ? That's what best seem to do the

    > > same as Seagate SeaTools.Sorry, I mean Seagate DiskWizard, as SeaTool is the boot floppy/cd

    Running the DiskWizard installer in compatibility mode for XP I was
    able to install and run DiskWizard so I will give a try to it that
    seems really targeted to the operations I need to do, will see.
    Mike De Petris, Jan 28, 2007
  7. No, their imaging software, whatever the name is...

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 29, 2007
  8. Mike De Petris

    Dshai Guest

    Acronis TrueImage

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Jan 30, 2007
  9. Thanks.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 31, 2007
  10. Mike De Petris

    Guest

    On Jan 28, 10:24 am, "Mike De Petris" <> wrote:
    > win XP x64
    > I have two drives now, C(system) and D
    >
    > Bought two new Seagate 7200.10
    >
    > I've seen there is a Seagate tool named DiskWizard that would let me
    > put one drive in, and let the software do all the copy for the C
    > drive, then repeat on D, unfortunately does not install under x64
    >
    > what would you suggest to put the two new drives in and remove the
    > old, without pain and risk?

    How about copying the old drive using Partition commander by booting
    from the CDROM. Hide the drive you don't want to touch via your bios.
    That is, turn off the port.

    Am I to assume you only have room for two drives in the PC at the same
    time?

    Programs like Partition Magic and Partition Commander often boot the
    PC into a program they load on the drive, so you are not really
    running the program from the main OS anyway. But watching PM or PC
    boot the PC is scary, especially if you have multiple OSs.

    I'd use Partition Commander by booting from it's CDROM, and copy the
    old drive with the OS to one of the new drives. [If you only can
    mount two drive, then obviously one of the old drives has to be
    removed so the new drive can go in its place.] Then take out the old
    drive with the OS so nothing bad happens to it and install the new
    drive and try to boot from it. If you can't boot, then you need to the
    various hacks in my thread to get the boot record in shape again.

    Now you have the old with with OS, the new drive with OS, and the old
    drive with just data I assume and a second new drive. Put old drive
    with data and new drive in the PC and repeat with partition
    commander. Then put in the two new drives.

    With partition commander, I don't think you have to install the
    software, though it is X64 ready. You shouldn't install the boot
    commander.
    , Jan 31, 2007
  11. Speaking of bootable devices, sure would have been nice for the MAPS
    distribution to include a bootable install DVD in addition to the upgrade in
    place DVD. Also, sort of strange not to see a 64 bit version of Vista in the
    MAPS distribution....

    =?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgU2NobnVy?=, Feb 2, 2007
  12. No comment. I don't much like it either, but MAPS is a rule unto itself.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 5, 2007