    like normal? If this is possible my 40 gig is partioned and would I have
    to make an image of both drives? Any input on this subject would be
    greatly appreciated. TIA

    CrackHeadBob, Feb 13, 2004

  2. CrackHeadBob

    chip_y2kuk Guest

    "CrackHeadBob" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm installing a new hard drive and swapping out my 40 gig for a new 250
    > gig hard drive. I have no other bays open which is why I have to swap it
    > out. The question I have is there a a way I can make an image of my old
    > hard drive, temporarily save it to my external hard drive and then place
    > it on the new hard drive when I install it? If so how do I go about
    > doing that? What would I need to do that. Once done would it boot up
    > like normal? If this is possible my 40 gig is partioned and would I have
    > to make an image of both drives? Any input on this subject would be
    > greatly appreciated. TIA

    you can use norton ghost for this kind of thing and you can copy from disk
    to disk so this means you put your new disk in where ya want it make your
    old disk a slave and COPY! this means leaving the disk upside down in the
    case for a while but it dont usually take to long to do a disk to disk copy

    chip_y2kuk, Feb 13, 2004

  3. CrackHeadBob

    Harrison Guest

    There are many ways.
    You can use third party software such as Drive Image or Ghost.
    You can use xcopy.
    Most new hard drives come with utility disk with programs to accomplish the transfer as well.
    If your drive didn't ship with such software, check their website.

    Also, you do not have to use the external drive as a transition device.
    Simply install the new drive as a slave, copy the old on over to it, remove the old drive, and switch the new one to the
    master position.

    http://www.tencorp.com/SALESTIP.NSF/0/05bd960ec02c38e385256bdb0052a372?OpenDocument
    http://www.newfreeware.com/utils/418/
    http://www.symantec.com/driveimage/index.html
    http://www.symantec.com/sabu/ghost/ghost_personal/

    The following is courtesy of Unk.
    Using xcopy in Windows XP.
    First, install the drive as a slave and format the new drive from the
    WindowsXP's "My Computer" window.
    NOTE: You MUST format it from Windows to make it bootable.
    XP doesn't have the equivalent of the older "sys" command.

    Now, open a CMD prompt window and type the following:
    (where c: is the old drive, and d: is the new drive)

    xcopy c: d: /r/i/c/h/k/e/y

    Harrison, Feb 13, 2004
  4. CrackHeadBob

    Dan Shea Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I'm installing a new hard drive and swapping out my 40 gig for a new 250
    >gig hard drive. I have no other bays open which is why I have to swap it
    >out.

    You don't reallly need extra *bays*. As long as you've got an open
    IDE connection (I'm presuming this isn't a SCSI drive) and a power
    lead you can plug into it, you can just open the case, hook it up --
    without screwing it in to a bay -- and transfer your data. Be careful
    about how you situate it, but it's no big deal. Or, if you're
    squeamish about having the new HD just hanging there, take out your
    floppy drive for a bit and put the new drive in that bay while you
    transfer the data.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 13, 2004
  5. CrackHeadBob

    CrackHeadBob Guest

    How do I make the new hard drive a slave while copying the old drive to
    it? What would I need? Remember I have no additional bays open. Thx.

    CrackHeadBob, Feb 13, 2004
  6. CrackHeadBob

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 10:15:12 -0600, CrackHeadBob
    <> wrote:

    >How do I make the new hard drive a slave while copying the old drive to
    >it? What would I need? Remember I have no additional bays open. Thx.

    Look at the drive instructions; that should tell you. Typically there
    is a jumper switch you need to move.

    As per my previous post, you don't need an open bay.

    Cheers,
    dan

    Dan Shea, Feb 13, 2004
  7. CrackHeadBob

    Harrison Guest

    Disconnect a CD-ROM drive temporarily since you won't need it to copy files from one HDD to the other.

    Harrison, Feb 13, 2004