Installing new C: drive

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Jack Jernigan, Dec 4, 2006.

  1. How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    reinstall the OS?

    Jack Jernigan, Dec 4, 2006

  2. Jack Jernigan

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:03:28 GMT, Jack Jernigan wrote:

    >How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    >reinstall the OS?

    Explain.

    Why do you want a new C:?

    C: Is a drive letter, an historic issue, usually the 1st active primary
    partition. Doesn't need to be Windows, other older OS'es used C: as
    well.

    Do you mean a new hardisk?

    Me

    why?, Dec 4, 2006

  3. Jack Jernigan

    Alf Guest

    "Jack Jernigan" <> wrote in message

    > How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    > reinstall the OS?

    Fit it as a slave to the original one, use Norton Ghost to copy one drive to
    the other, then set it as a master again. Job done!

    Alf, Dec 4, 2006
  4. Jack Jernigan

    Alf Guest

    > On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:03:28 GMT, Jack Jernigan wrote:
    >

    >>How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    >>reinstall the OS?

    > Explain.
    >
    > Why do you want a new C:?
    >
    > C: Is a drive letter, an historic issue, usually the 1st active primary
    > partition. Doesn't need to be Windows, other older OS'es used C: as
    > well.
    >
    > Do you mean a new hardisk?
    >
    > Me

    What an idiot - if you can't answer the question and want to just test your
    news reader try a different group called alt.test

    Alf, Dec 4, 2006
  5. Jack Jernigan

    John Holmes Guest

    Alf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "why?" <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in message
    >>
    >> On Mon, 04 Dec 2006 20:03:28 GMT, Jack Jernigan wrote:
    >>

    >>>How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    >>>reinstall the OS?

    >> Explain.
    >>
    >> Why do you want a new C:?
    >>
    >> C: Is a drive letter, an historic issue, usually the 1st active
    >> primary partition. Doesn't need to be Windows, other older OS'es used
    >> C: as well.
    >>
    >> Do you mean a new hardisk?
    >>
    >> Me

    > What an idiot - if you can't answer the question and want to just test
    > your news reader try a different group called alt.test

    You are a fiend and a coward, and you have bad breath. You are
    degenerate, noxious and depraved. I feel debased just for knowing you
    exist. I despise everything about you. You are a bloody nardless newbie
    twit protohominid chromosomally aberrant caricature of a coprophagic
    cloacal parasitic pond scum. and I wish you would go away.

    --
    You unbelievable drip of dirty rotting vegetation.

    John Holmes, Dec 4, 2006
  6. Jack Jernigan

    John Holmes Guest

    Alf "contributed" in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > "Jack Jernigan" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    >> reinstall the OS?

    > Fit it as a slave to the original one, use Norton Ghost to copy one
    > drive to the other, then set it as a master again. Job done!

    You're so stupid, you gave your uncle a blowjob 'cause he said it'd help
    his dole benefits.

    --
    You pea-brained flob of ancient shark snot.

    John Holmes, Dec 4, 2006
  7. Jack Jernigan

    Null Guest

    Jack Jernigan wrote:
    > How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    > reinstall the OS?

    Slave the drives together and use a partition manager to copy the
    bootable partition to the new drive. I use the one from here

    www.paragon-software.com

    You might have to re-activate windows after you boot up on the new drive.

    Null, Dec 4, 2006
  8. Jack Jernigan

    dadiOH Guest

    Jack Jernigan wrote:
    > How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    > reinstall the OS?

    As a few hinted, you basically copy the old to the new; however, there
    is no need to "ghost/image" the old to the new if you make the new one
    bootable before copying. If you are familiar with DOS it has the tools
    to do that. If not, a utility for doing what you want to do is
    generally included when you purchase a HD. If not included, you can
    download it at the drive manufacturer's site.

    So...
    1. Install new drive as slave
    2. Assure it is bootable
    3. Copy existing drive to it
    4. Remove new drive
    5. Install new drive as master on the primary drive channel.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

    dadiOH, Dec 4, 2006
  9. Jack Jernigan wrote:

    > How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    > reinstall the OS?

    Ghost it, or let the clerks at the computer shop do it (bring in both
    harddrives or buy one there, you do not need to carry the computer).

    Walter Mautner, Dec 4, 2006
  10. dadiOH wrote:

    > Jack Jernigan wrote:
    >> How does one install a new C: drive under Windows, without having to
    >> reinstall the OS?

    > As a few hinted, you basically copy the old to the new; however, there
    > is no need to "ghost/image" the old to the new if you make the new one
    > bootable before copying. If you are familiar with DOS it has the tools
    > to do that. If not, a utility for doing what you want to do is
    > generally included when you purchase a HD. If not included, you can
    > download it at the drive manufacturer's site.

    Most users who ask that question (and not in a linux group) these days do
    have some sort of winXP, with default ntfs format. No luck with plain DOS,
    it would just complicate things.
    For XP, that would need copying from a 2nd ntfs-aware (r+w) OS, which again
    is windows - and then will refuse to copy a lot of "open" files (when it
    cannot distinguish it's own files from the files-to-copy, or "by design" to
    prohibit lame copy-attempts, who knows ..). And then, recovery console to
    fixboot etc. - with most "recovery cds" not capable of that, as they are
    basically just ghost images with a script.
    After saying that, "ghosting" with dd from a linux liveCD (does not need the
    ntfs rw drivers) can be a cheap solution as well.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 5, 2006