    link:

    http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/productDetail.do?catOid=0&oid=173596

    Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?
    Tara Legale, Jan 18, 2008

  2. Tara Legale

    Neil Green Guest

    "Tara Legale" <> wrote in
    message news:2bUjj.2373$...
    >I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB
    >memory. I want to hook up DSL to it and it has to
    >have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
    >software.
    >
    > Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB
    > for cheap at the following link:
    >
    > http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/productDetail.do?catOid=0&oid=173596
    >
    > Can I plug this particular memory card into this
    > Dell with no issues?

    It seems that by memory you mean hard disk space as
    that model Dell shipped with 64mb of RAM.
    To install the software you require you will need to
    delete some unwanted programs or files.
    That aside, the PC is well and truly obsolete and you
    would be better advised to purchase a later model used
    PC running Windows XP than spending money on the Dell.
    A PC about three years old can be sourced very cheaply
    on Ebay.
    Neil Green, Jan 18, 2008

  3. Tara Legale

    Paul Guest

    Tara Legale wrote:
    > I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to hook
    > up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
    > software.
    >
    > Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the following
    > link:
    >
    > http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/productDetail.do?catOid=0&oid=173596
    >
    > Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

    I have ADSL, and with mine there are two options.

    1) Connect ADSL modem directly to the computer. Since the ADSL modem
    "speaks" PPPOE, I must install the ISP software for that to work.
    The ISP software converts PPPOE to conventional packets. PPP is point
    to point protocol, and the ADSL modem is basically working like a
    fancy dial-up modem, and providing a byte stream. The PPP protocol
    parses the stream and makes packets out of it. Similar to some PPP
    software you'd use with a dialup modem.

    ADSL_modem ------> one-computer-with-crappy-ISP-software-installed

    2) The second alternative, is to connect ADSL_modem to a router box.
    (Some ADSL modems have a router in the same hardware box now.)
    For example, I used to use a Linksys BEFSR41 router. That router
    (and many others) support PPPOE protocol. Thus, the Linksys router
    takes the place of the ISP software. I use a web browser to set up
    the Linksys browser, and tell the Linksys to "connect". The Linksys
    sends the userid and password, and does the PPPOE protocol. What
    comes out of the router, is plain ordinary Ethernet packets. The
    result is that any computer plugged into the router, doesn't have
    to know that you're on a DSL modem.

    ADSL_modem -----> router_with_PPPOE -----> any-old-computer without SW

    Now, depending on the price of the router, you could either save money
    or spend more, than your RAM upgrade idea. The Linksys was very expensive
    when I bought it, but now that wired routers are yesterday's technology,
    you can get much cheaper ones. I think the router I got to replace the
    Linksys, was 1/10th the price. My second router is no longer being made.

    You could visit Staples and see what they have laying around, and
    maybe there is a nice wired router there. For example, I see this one
    at Staples for about $50, and I actually had to download the manual
    to find out for certain it had PPPOE. Neither the advert, nor the product
    datasheet on Dlink, listed PPPOE. To be sure, I had to get the manual (8MB)

    ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/ebr2310_revB/Manual/ebr2310_revB_manual_200.zip

    *******
    For your proposed RAM upgrade, the Dell site doesn't have the usual
    information for the L466C. One poster on the Dell community site,
    mentioned the chipset is i810 from Intel. There is a picture
    of the board here.

    http://i9.ebayimg.com/01/i/08/83/a3/d5_1.JPG

    The Intel chart (rightmost column), says i810 holds a max of 512MB
    memory, in the form of two 256MB SDRAM DIMMs. The speed the memory
    is running at, would be a function of the front side bus speed for
    the processor.

    http://support.intel.com/design/chipsets/mature/index.htm?iid=ipp_810chpst hghlt_chart&

    This is what the Crucial site shows for "Dimension L series". They
    don't seem to break out the models any further than that, so presumably
    all the L series had similar motherboards. The part number here would
    reflect a solution they cooked up just for the Dell.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension L Series

    A similar board from the same era, would be an Asus MEW-AM with i810.
    If I look that one up on Crucial, the part numbers for the memory
    are "open" (not Dell specific) part numbers. I believe I've used
    the CAS2 memory on my 440BX board. The memory would be the "low density"
    kind, with 16 chips. (High density 256MB SDRAM has 8 chips, and no
    chips on the back side of the module.) Maybe the chipset could
    actually use high density memory, but I wouldn't take a chance on it.
    One way you'd know, is if the motherboard only detected 128MB.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=MEW-AM

    You'll notice on this page, that the MEW-AM runs SDRAM at PC66
    or PC100, while the memory product Crucial is offering is
    PC133. Apparently Crucial is confident enough that it is
    a valid substitute, to list it.

    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=3873DF0BA5CA7304

    In terms of pricing, the CAS2 and CAS3 memories have identical
    pricing. CAS2 is faster than CAS3, which means the lower
    latency memory is a "free" upgrade. (It might not make
    any different to that computer, but I just like the
    idea of getting a feature for free :) )

    So $45 should fix it.

    I was hoping the Circuit City reviewers would comment on the
    number of chips on that module. But I didn't get lucky. I
    would prefer to see 16 chips (8 on one side, 8 on the other),
    as a positive indication the memory is low density and
    more likely to be fully detected (all 256MB) when installed.
    With the plastic packaging, it may be difficult to verify
    that. (Following line, manually wrapped to suit my news server)

    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Customer-reviews-for-SDRAM-Desktop-Memory/sem/
    rpsm/oid/173596/callingModule/9/pageno/2/sortby/1/order/D/rpem/ccd/ExpandedModule.do#custRatings

    Paul
    Paul, Jan 18, 2008
  4. Tara Legale

    Tara Legale Guest

    "Neil Green" <> wrote
    > It seems that by memory you mean hard disk space as that model Dell
    > shipped with 64mb of RAM.
    > To install the software you require you will need to delete some unwanted
    > programs or files.

    No, it has 31MB on it, seriously.... my DSL software told me that, and I
    can see that by going to system information.

    Also, the ONLY program on the entire computer is IE6. Everything else was
    removed when it had problems and the operating system (Win98) was
    reinstalled on it (along with the IE6). It has 90% resources free on it,
    no files except ones that came with reinstalling Win98.
    Tara Legale, Jan 19, 2008
  5. Tara Legale

    Neil Green Guest

    "Tara Legale" <> wrote in
    message news:I8ckj.2426$...
    > "Neil Green" <> wrote
    >> It seems that by memory you mean hard disk space as
    >> that model Dell shipped with 64mb of RAM.
    >> To install the software you require you will need
    >> to delete some unwanted programs or files.

    > No, it has 31MB on it, seriously.... my DSL
    > software told me that, and I can see that by going
    > to system information.
    >
    > Also, the ONLY program on the entire computer is
    > IE6. Everything else was removed when it had
    > problems and the operating system (Win98) was
    > reinstalled on it (along with the IE6). It has 90%
    > resources free on it, no files except ones that came
    > with reinstalling Win98.

    Something is reporting the RAM incorrectly or some
    faulty RAM has been mapped out.
    Either way the machine is a paper weight, and any cash
    spent on it would be well and truly wasted.
    I don't know where you are located but in Australia a
    PIII 1Ghz with 512Mb of RAM, built in NIC and 10Gb
    hard disk can be sourced for about $50 - 75AUD.
    This would run Windows XP perfectly well, as opposed
    to the Dell Celeron 466 that you have which would run
    XP like a dog if at all.
    Neil Green, Jan 19, 2008
  6. "Tara Legale" <> wrote in message
    >I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to hook
    >up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
    >software.
    >
    > Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the
    > following link:
    >
    > http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/productDetail.do?catOid=0&oid=173596
    >
    > Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

    If the the system reporting 31mb and change? It could be that you do indeed
    have 32mb. Alot of times it is because of the conversion between hex and
    decimal values. ie 1024 is usually referred to as 1K (by nature of the
    binary value)

    Soooo I wouldn't get too hung up on the difference between 31mb (reported)
    and the recommended 32mb. It probably meets the required minimum. Also
    wouldn't advise putting any more money into this system. If it works...
    great, but any more investment would be better spent going towards a new
    system.

    dennis
    dennis meissner, Jan 19, 2008
  7. Tara Legale

    Ron Guest

    Tara use a little program called CPUID, it is free and
    easy to find.
    It will tell you exactly what the memory is as to buffered or registered or
    ecc.
    Once you know you can probably find someone who will give you a stick.
    A lot of people have old sdram from ancient upgrades and dont know what to
    do with it.
    Ron

    Ron, Jan 19, 2008
  8. Tara Legale

    - Bobb - Guest

    Tara,
    go to this website
    http://www.crucial.com/
    If you are ON that system, just click "Probe my system"
    and it will tell you
    1 what you have
    2. what fits.
    If not on that system.
    They have drop down tables - model - type etc until shows all possible
    options for you.
    Thats where I get my memory - good prices, good quality.

    - Bobb -, Jan 19, 2008
  9. Tara Legale

    Baron Guest

    Tara Legale wrote:

    > I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to
    > hook up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to
    > install the DSL software.
    >
    > Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the
    > following link:
    >
    > http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/productDetail.do?catOid=0&oid=173596
    >
    > Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

    You don't need the DSL software if you use a router with an Ethernet
    port on it. The router will need your ID and password to make the
    connection to your ISP.
    A router will just plug into the network card on the computer.
    Don't waste your money buying ram.

    --
    Best Regards:
    Baron.
    Baron, Jan 20, 2008
  10. Tara Legale

    - Bobb - Guest

    To check best pricing:
    http://www.techbargains.com/catsearch.cfm
    pick MEMORY

    Make note of vendor shipping/handling - TOTAL cost.
    Some have low prices + shipping .
    Others free shipping etc

    - Bobb -, Jan 20, 2008
  11. Tara Legale

    Kyote Guest

    On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 02:30:22 GMT, "Tara Legale"
    <> wrote:

    >I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to hook
    >up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
    >software.
    >
    >Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the following
    >link:
    >
    >http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/productDetail.do?catOid=0&oid=173596
    >
    >Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

    Alternatively, you could goto your bios setup when your computer is
    powering on and disable memory reservation for graphics/video, until
    you get your DSL software installed. In my experience that odd number
    or RAM(31 MB) is because some of your system RAM was set aside for
    graphics. If this is so then you won't have to spend a penny. Once you
    DSL software is installed simply go back into your bios setup and
    change the setting back.

    But as the others said. If your going to spend money on your computer,
    you would be better off getting a newer system.
    Kyote, Jan 21, 2008
  12. Tara Legale

    Linux Guest

    On Jan 21, 11:32 am, Kyote <kyote_love_at_no_spam_hotmail_dot_com>
    wrote:
    > On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 02:30:22 GMT, "Tara Legale"
    >
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have an old Dell Dimension L466C with only 31MB memory. I want to hook
    > >up DSL to it and it has to have 32MB (for heavens sake) to install the DSL
    > >software.

    > >Looking on Circuit City's website they have 256MB for cheap at the following
    > >link:

    > >http://www.circuitcity.com:80/ccd/productDetail.do?catOid=0&oid=173596

    > >Can I plug this particular memory card into this Dell with no issues?

    > Alternatively, you could goto your bios setup when your computer is
    > powering on and disable memory reservation for graphics/video, until
    > you get your DSL software installed. In my experience that odd number
    > or RAM(31 MB) is because some of your system RAM was set aside for
    > graphics. If this is so then you won't have to spend a penny. Once you
    > DSL software is installed simply go back into your bios setup and
    > change the setting back.
    >
    > But as the others said. If your going to spend money on your computer,
    > you would be better off getting a newer system.

    I 3rd (?) the motion, don't spend money on the old Dell, I got a 512
    MB Compaq Evo (Win 2K, now Ubuntu)
    off e-bay for $ 145.00 its now 8 years old but works fine.
    Linux, Jan 26, 2008