    want other users of the machine to be faced with a choice of XP or Linux at
    start-up - I want to experiment with Linux first - so I want to install it
    separately. Apart from running off a live CD is this possible?

    Geoff Pearson, Jul 31, 2005

  2. Geoff Pearson

    philo Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > I've got my SUSE disc and it works - although I aborted the install at the
    > last point possible. I want to keep my XP installation untouched and don't
    > want other users of the machine to be faced with a choice of XP or Linux at
    > start-up - I want to experiment with Linux first - so I want to install it
    > separately. Apart from running off a live CD is this possible?

    before you install Linux...be sure you have free space on your HD.
    do not delete any partition with XP on it.

    now, once you install linux...
    what you need to do is *not* install the boot loader on the mbr.
    at one time one could just install the boot loader on a floppy
    and boot with that...but i don't recall if you get that option with SUSE.
    if there is no boot floppy option...you will merely need to boot off the
    CD to start Linux.

    philo, Jul 31, 2005

  3. "philo" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >> I've got my SUSE disc and it works - although I aborted the install at
    >> the last point possible. I want to keep my XP installation untouched and
    >> don't want other users of the machine to be faced with a choice of XP or
    >> Linux at start-up - I want to experiment with Linux first - so I want to
    >> install it separately. Apart from running off a live CD is this
    >> possible?

    > before you install Linux...be sure you have free space on your HD.
    > do not delete any partition with XP on it.
    >
    > now, once you install linux...
    > what you need to do is *not* install the boot loader on the mbr.
    > at one time one could just install the boot loader on a floppy
    > and boot with that...but i don't recall if you get that option with SUSE.
    > if there is no boot floppy option...you will merely need to boot off the
    > CD to start Linux.

    Thanks
    I had space - unassigned to a partition which SUSE found and into which it
    offered to install Linux - so that kept it clear of XP. I think I might now
    create a whotsit point in XP so I can roll it back and then just let SUSE do
    what it thinks best. I should be able to uninstall.

    Geoff Pearson, Jul 31, 2005
  4. Geoff Pearson

    philo Guest

    Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > "philo" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >>
    >>>I've got my SUSE disc and it works - although I aborted the install at
    >>>the last point possible. I want to keep my XP installation untouched and
    >>>don't want other users of the machine to be faced with a choice of XP or
    >>>Linux at start-up - I want to experiment with Linux first - so I want to
    >>>install it separately. Apart from running off a live CD is this
    >>>possible?

    >>before you install Linux...be sure you have free space on your HD.
    >>do not delete any partition with XP on it.
    >>
    >>now, once you install linux...
    >>what you need to do is *not* install the boot loader on the mbr.
    >>at one time one could just install the boot loader on a floppy
    >>and boot with that...but i don't recall if you get that option with SUSE.
    >>if there is no boot floppy option...you will merely need to boot off the
    >>CD to start Linux.

    > Thanks
    > I had space - unassigned to a partition which SUSE found and into which it
    > offered to install Linux - so that kept it clear of XP. I think I might now
    > create a whotsit point in XP so I can roll it back and then just let SUSE do
    > what it thinks best. I should be able to uninstall.

    first off...
    if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing...
    you can just let SUSE perform the default installation.

    even though users will see a boot screen...
    you can set the bootloader to default to windows if you wish.

    if you want to remove linux from your system...
    you can use disk management from within XP to delete the linux
    partitions...and you can boot from your XP cd and from the repair
    console issue the command : fixmbr
    to remove the bootloader (prob. grub) from the mbr.

    also:
    if you really want to experiment with linux and not have to worry what
    will happen to your windows installation you can do what i do...
    and that is to use removable harddrive trays. (they are inexpensive)
    you can lock the windows tray in there...
    but when you want to fool around with linux....just remove the tray
    and pop in another harddrive.
    that way you can experiment to your hearts content.

    heck...when i first started out with Linux I must have installed it
    dozens of times just to learn what i was doing!

    philo, Jul 31, 2005
  5. Geoff Pearson

    Gnasher Guest

    I installed linux on a hard drive in a removeable-drive bay. This costs
    more but it's less problematic and there's no loss of storage space.

    Gnasher, Jul 31, 2005
  6. "philo" <> wrote in message
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    > > "philo" <> wrote in message

    and

    or

    > >>before you install Linux...be sure you have free space on your HD.
    > >>do not delete any partition with XP on it.
    > >>
    > >>now, once you install linux...
    > >>what you need to do is *not* install the boot loader on the mbr.
    > >>at one time one could just install the boot loader on a floppy
    > >>and boot with that...but i don't recall if you get that option with

    SUSE.
    > >>if there is no boot floppy option...you will merely need to boot off the
    > >>CD to start Linux.

    > > Thanks
    > > I had space - unassigned to a partition which SUSE found and into which

    it
    > > offered to install Linux - so that kept it clear of XP. I think I might

    now
    > > create a whotsit point in XP so I can roll it back and then just let

    SUSE do
    > > what it thinks best. I should be able to uninstall.
    > >

    > first off...
    > if you are not 100% sure of what you are doing...
    > you can just let SUSE perform the default installation.
    >
    > even though users will see a boot screen...
    > you can set the bootloader to default to windows if you wish.
    >
    > if you want to remove linux from your system...
    > you can use disk management from within XP to delete the linux
    > partitions...and you can boot from your XP cd and from the repair
    > console issue the command : fixmbr
    > to remove the bootloader (prob. grub) from the mbr.
    >

    > also:
    > if you really want to experiment with linux and not have to worry what
    > will happen to your windows installation you can do what i do...
    > and that is to use removable harddrive trays. (they are inexpensive)
    > you can lock the windows tray in there...
    > but when you want to fool around with linux....just remove the tray
    > and pop in another harddrive.
    > that way you can experiment to your hearts content.
    >
    > heck...when i first started out with Linux I must have installed it
    > dozens of times just to learn what i was doing!

    Disaster!

    I installed SUSE - it looked fine but teh bootloader would not allow me into
    XP. Even when I had run FIXMBR, reloaded SUSE, I still can't get to XP -
    running this off my spare hard drive. Any idea how to repair my c: drive so
    I can go back to the safety of GatesLand?

    Geoff Pearson, Jul 31, 2005
  7. Geoff Pearson

    Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <> wrote:

    |>Disaster!
    |>
    |>I installed SUSE - it looked fine but teh bootloader would not allow me into
    |>XP. Even when I had run FIXMBR, reloaded SUSE, I still can't get to XP -
    |>running this off my spare hard drive. Any idea how to repair my c: drive so
    |>I can go back to the safety of GatesLand?

    Wrong command, use FIXBOOT

    --
    http://www.planarity.net/

    , Jul 31, 2005
  8. Geoff Pearson

    Guest

    wrote:

    |>Wrong command, use FIXBOOT

    Woops I read it as you uninstalled SUSE and couldn't get XP to run.
    Never Mind.
    --
    http://www.planarity.net/

    , Jul 31, 2005
  9. Geoff Pearson

    philo Guest

    >snip>

    > Disaster!
    >
    > I installed SUSE - it looked fine but teh bootloader would not allow me into
    > XP. Even when I had run FIXMBR, reloaded SUSE, I still can't get to XP -
    > running this off my spare hard drive. Any idea how to repair my c: drive so
    > I can go back to the safety of GatesLand?

    boot from your XP cd and from the repair console
    try fixboot if fixmbr did not work.

    also...are you *sure* you did not format your windows partition?

    if fixboot or fixmbr do not work...
    try a repair installation...

    i sure hope you did not delete your windows partition!

    philo, Jul 31, 2005
  10. Geoff Pearson wrote:

    > I had space - unassigned to a partition which SUSE found and into
    > which it offered to install Linux - so that kept it clear of XP. I
    > think I might now create a whotsit point in XP so I can roll it back
    > and then just let SUSE do what it thinks best. I should be able to
    > uninstall.

    As you begin this journey away from he The Darkness, consider these
    resources:

    alt.os.linux.suse

    I do alt.os.linux.mandrake, and it's an excellent group. If the
    parallel SUSE group is that good, it can provide a wealth of help and
    knowledge.

    Not distro-specific:

    comp.os.linux.misc
    comp.os.linux.setup

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Blinky the Shark, Jul 31, 2005
  11. Geoff Pearson

    DC Guest

    philo wrote:
    > Geoff Pearson wrote:
    >> I've got my SUSE disc and it works - although I aborted the install at the
    >> last point possible. I want to keep my XP installation untouched and don't
    >> want other users of the machine to be faced with a choice of XP or Linux at
    >> start-up - I want to experiment with Linux first - so I want to install it
    >> separately. Apart from running off a live CD is this possible?

    > before you install Linux...be sure you have free space on your HD.
    > do not delete any partition with XP on it.

    > now, once you install linux...
    > what you need to do is *not* install the boot loader on the mbr.
    > at one time one could just install the boot loader on a floppy
    > and boot with that...but i don't recall if you get that option with SUSE.

    That's what I do. SuSE 9.3 Pro/WindowsXP, here.

    --
    DC Linux RU #1000111011000111001

    Viruses, Instability, Spyware, Trojans, Adware -- Pre-order today!
    -= http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/default.mspx =-

    DC, Sep 1, 2005