    is there any way to download and install linux from a site (ubuntu for
    example) and then delete windows entirely and doing this without burning
    on disk or using a usb thumb drive?
    Muse Gruppes, Dec 10, 2010

  2. Muse Gruppes wrote:

    > is there any way to download and install linux from a site (ubuntu for
    > example) and then delete windows entirely and doing this without
    > burning on disk or using a usb thumb drive?

    At which of your two posts would you care to receive answers? (Ok, I'll
    pick this one.)

    Care to say why you don't want to burn a CD? The normal way is to
    download the .iso from one of the mirror sites, burn the .iso to CD, and
    install from there.

    If you want Windows to be completely replaced, boot from the CD first,
    and use gparted to take over the whole drive. Set up three partitions:
    one for root (maybe 10GB), one for swap (maybe 2GB), and the rest for
    /home (the rest).

    You could also decide at that point to dual-boot with Windows. Booting
    from CD also gives you the opportunity to check if your hardware is
    compatible before actual installation.

    If you want the long-term version of Ubuntu, get 10.04 (supported for
    three years), or the 'cutting edge' version 10.10 (new one every six
    months).

    --
    -bts
    -still happy with 8.04 tho' will be getting new box soon
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 10, 2010

  3. Muse Gruppes

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 06:32:14 -0500, Muse Gruppes wrote:

    > is there any way to download and install linux from a site (ubuntu for
    > example) and then delete windows entirely and doing this without burning
    > on disk or using a usb thumb drive?

    You need to download a minimal install then finish the rest with a net
    install.

    Meat Plow, Dec 10, 2010