    to a cd and install it. Idid copy the downloaded file to a cd, but am
    unable to open it.
    Any help will be appreciated.

    Kevin Buthorn, Jan 30, 2004

  2. Kevin Buthorn

    philo Guest

    "Kevin Buthorn" <> wrote in message
    news:zpxSb.293273$...
    > I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the primary master which
    > crashed. I downloaded Knoppix so that I can attempt to recover data from
    > the old drive.
    > I am running windows xp.
    > I am unable to open Knoppix from windows. I don't know how to burn

    knoppix
    > to a cd and install it. Idid copy the downloaded file to a cd, but am
    > unable to open it.
    > Any help will be appreciated.

    if you downloaded and iso
    your cd burning software should have the option to create a cd from the iso
    image

    philo, Jan 30, 2004

  3. On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 18:30:55 +0000, Kevin Buthorn wrote:

    > I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the primary master which
    > crashed. I downloaded Knoppix so that I can attempt to recover data from
    > the old drive.
    > I am running windows xp.
    > I am unable to open Knoppix from windows.

    That's right.

    > I don't know how to burn knoppix
    > to a cd and install it.

    Use Nero or Roxio (burn from image options) to create a CD from the
    downloaded ISO image.

    > Idid copy the downloaded file to a cd, but am
    > unable to open it.

    Nope that won't work.

    > Any help will be appreciated.

    Knoppix is a self-booting and configuring Linux system, no installation
    required. Runs totally from the CD, but will access your Windows
    partitions.

    --
    Michael Turner

    michael turner, Jan 30, 2004
  4. Kevin Buthorn

    Patrick Guest

    Kevin Buthorn wrote:
    > I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the primary master
    > which crashed. I downloaded Knoppix so that I can attempt to recover
    > data from the old drive.
    > I am running windows xp.
    > I am unable to open Knoppix from windows. I don't know how to burn
    > knoppix to a cd and install it. Idid copy the downloaded file to a
    > cd, but am unable to open it.
    > Any help will be appreciated.

    CD burning software will be required.

    Instructions are at below link;
    See heading 'ISO Burning Instructions' and select your burner-software.

    http://www.linuxiso.org/viewdoc.php/howtoburn.html

    Patrick, Jan 30, 2004
  5. Kevin Buthorn

    DC Guest

    Kevin Buthorn wrote in <zpxSb.293273$>:
    > I recently installed a new hard drive to replace the primary master which
    > crashed. I downloaded Knoppix so that I can attempt to recover data from
    > the old drive.
    > I am running windows xp.
    > I am unable to open Knoppix from windows. I don't know how to burn knoppix
    > to a cd and install it. Idid copy the downloaded file to a cd, but am
    > unable to open it.
    > Any help will be appreciated.

    Read the FAQ.

    ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppix/KNOPPIX-FAQ-EN.txt

    --
    DC Registered Linux User #1000111011000111001

    DC, Jan 30, 2004
  6. Kevin Buthorn

    Martik Guest

    If your filesystem is not NTFS, all you need is a win98 or dos boot floppy
    to access the old hard drive.

    Martik, Jan 30, 2004
  7. Kevin Buthorn

    hoobs

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2007
    Messages:
    2
    knoppix installation

    Nope, I've tried to open Knoppix download in Windows 2000, doesn't work. Quite a few free CD burners available on web. Consider installing a dual-boot system so you can (nearly) always get your data off. To get out of the fix install an operating system with the same file system (FAT16, 32 or Ntfs) onto a fresh HD and set your non-bootable HD to slave. This may be easier than using Knoppix as you are familiar with Windows methods of transferring files. Searching Microsoft site for 'Knoppix' interestingly found no matches .....surprise,surprise.

    hoobs, Nov 30, 2007