Installing Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 and OE Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Robert11, Nov 2, 2003.

  1. Robert11

    Robert11 Guest

    Hello:

    Have a corrupted version of IE on my PC now (using netscape instead), but
    would like to

    Am about to download "Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1" (which is
    supposedly a "full" Browser installation)
    but was wondering:

    My Outlook Express works just fine, however, and I certainly don't
    \want to mess it up, change it, or update it. Just want to keep it as is.

    Will installing Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 wipe out my present OE ?
    If it does wipe it out, does it transfer the address book, settings, etc.,
    automatically to the new OE installation ?

    Anything else I should know, or be asking, please ?

    Thanks,
    Bob

    Robert11, Nov 2, 2003

  2. Robert11

    °Mike° Guest

    I've seen many people complain that their OE settings,
    and even mail, have been deleted by an IE install/upgrade.

    Back up your data first.
    http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/backup/clone.htm

    OLEXP How to Backup and Restore Outlook Express
    Blocked Senders List and Other Mail Rules

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 17:19:06 -0500, in
    <>
    Robert11 scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Nov 2, 2003

  3. Robert11

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sun, 2 Nov 2003 17:19:06 -0500, "Robert11" <>
    wrote:

    >Hello:
    >
    >Have a corrupted version of IE on my PC now (using netscape instead), but
    >would like to
    >
    >Am about to download "Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1" (which is
    >supposedly a "full" Browser installation)
    >but was wondering:
    >
    >My Outlook Express works just fine, however, and I certainly don't
    >\want to mess it up, change it, or update it. Just want to keep it as is.
    >
    >Will installing Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1 wipe out my present OE ?
    >If it does wipe it out, does it transfer the address book, settings, etc.,
    >automatically to the new OE installation ?
    >
    >Anything else I should know, or be asking, please ?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Bob

    If using WinXP or WinMe you could try making a Restore Point so that
    you can roll back to before the IE upgrade if something goes wrong.
    Safest is to make an image backup of the whole partition with Ghost or
    Drive Image as System Restore sometimes can't restore.

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Nov 3, 2003