Installing Firefox and Thunderbird question

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by Joe S., Dec 26, 2004.

  1. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    I am a very conservative computer user and am afraid that if I install
    Firefox and Thunderbird, I'll do something to trash my Internet Explorer and
    Outlook Express to the point where I can't access the Web or my e-mail.

    I have two hard drives -- can I download Firefox and Thunderbird onto drive
    D and install it on that drive, essentially leaving IE and OE untouched on
    drive C? Or, does it matter -- just install Firefox and Thunderbird and let
    it roll?

    After I install Firefox and Thunderbird, what will I see -- two new icons on
    my desktop? Can I then select Firefox and Thunderbird as my default browser
    and e-mail applications?

    Do I import my bookmarks and address book from IE and OE?

    Thanks.

    --

    -----
    Joe S.

    Joe S., Dec 26, 2004

  2. Joe S.

    Michael M. Guest

    On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 09:56:24 -0500, Joe S. wrote:

    > I am a very conservative computer user and am afraid that if I install
    > Firefox and Thunderbird, I'll do something to trash my Internet Explorer
    > and Outlook Express to the point where I can't access the Web or my
    > e-mail.

    A "conservative" computer user wouldn't be using IE or OE, both of which
    are riddled with unpatched security holes.

    > I have two hard drives -- can I download Firefox and Thunderbird onto
    > drive D and install it on that drive, essentially leaving IE and OE
    > untouched on drive C? Or, does it matter -- just install Firefox and
    > Thunderbird and let it roll?

    No, this wouldn't accomplish anything. I don't use Windows much anymore,
    but surely it provides a mechanism for setting your preferred programs? It
    *can't* be so lame that it leaves out such basic functionality! I know it
    used to include that capability, anyway. Failing that, if you install
    Firefox and decide you don't like it, just uninstall it. If you only have
    one web browser on your machine, it will automatically become your default
    browser.

    When you install Firefox on Linux, Firefox asks you if you want to make it
    your default browser. I imagine it does this on Windows too, though I
    haven't updated my browser on my Windows install in several months, so I
    can't remember for sure. "Just say no" if you don't want to make Firefox
    your default.

    > After I install Firefox and Thunderbird, what will I see -- two new
    > icons on my desktop? Can I then select Firefox and Thunderbird as my
    > default browser and e-mail applications?

    You should be able to make both of them your defaults during the
    installation, though you may not want to do this if you're not sure how
    you'll like them. IIRC, both of them will ask you if you want desktop and
    quick launch icons.

    --
    Michael M. ~~ ~~ New York, NY USA
    "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely

    Michael M., Dec 26, 2004

  3. Joe S.

    Tony Raven Guest

    Joe S. wrote:
    > I am a very conservative computer user and am afraid that if I install
    > Firefox and Thunderbird, I'll do something to trash my Internet Explorer and
    > Outlook Express to the point where I can't access the Web or my e-mail.

    Shouldn't cause any problems. It installs quite happily alongside IE
    and OE (and Outlook if you have it)

    > I have two hard drives -- can I download Firefox and Thunderbird onto drive
    > D and install it on that drive, essentially leaving IE and OE untouched on
    > drive C? Or, does it matter -- just install Firefox and Thunderbird and let
    > it roll?

    You can do but putting it on the C drive won't do any harm.

    > After I install Firefox and Thunderbird, what will I see -- two new icons on
    > my desktop? Can I then select Firefox and Thunderbird as my default browser
    > and e-mail applications?

    When you start them it will ask if you want them to be your default or
    not. You can choose. If you want to change later just go to Control
    Panel/Internet Options/Programs/ and set the default in the relevant
    drop down menus.

    > Do I import my bookmarks and address book from IE and OE?

    When you install you can copy all your setting over (and import e-mails
    if you want) from IE and OE without affecting the OE/IE programs. I
    still have both on my computer and you can run e.g OE and Tbird at the
    same time without problems. Its all very easy to do.

    Tony

    Tony Raven, Dec 26, 2004
  4. Joe S.

    Z Guest

    Joe S. wrote:
    > I have two hard drives -- can I download Firefox and Thunderbird onto
    > drive D and install it on that drive, essentially leaving IE and OE
    > untouched on drive C?

    Yes, if you want. But why bother? They use different directories and
    files, so there's no interaction, even if you install them both on C:

    > Or, does it matter -- just install Firefox and Thunderbird and let it
    > roll?

    That's what I'd do.

    > After I install Firefox and Thunderbird, what will I see -- two new
    > icons on my desktop?

    Yes.

    > Can I then select Firefox and Thunderbird as my
    > default browser and e-mail applications?

    Yes.

    > Do I import my bookmarks and address book from IE and OE?

    Yes.

    NOTE:

    Before you set up TB as your mail reader, you may want to open OE and
    uncheck the boxes:
    Send and receive mail at startup -and-
    Check for new messages every ...

    If you do that, you can start OE to get or verify account settings after
    you've installed TB, and OE won't download any new e-mail.

    Once you're happy with TB, consider removing the mail account in OE. For
    a week or so after I'd installed Mozilla mail, I found myself clicking
    on the OE icon out of habit to get e-mail. Removing the mail account in
    OE will help cure you of that. Or, if you run a firewall, you can remove
    the entry for OE allowing it Internet access.

    Z, Dec 27, 2004
  5. Joe S.

    Joe S. Guest

    Thanks to all who replied. I downloaded and installed Firefox and
    Thunderbird and am now figuring out how to use them. First thing I noticed
    is the absence of pop-up ads when I am browsing the Web -- what a relief!!

    --

    -----
    Joe S.

    Joe S., Dec 28, 2004