Installing FFX on Linux

Discussion in 'Firefox' started by roland.E.oderant, Jul 22, 2005.

  1. Ok, I'm experiencing some trouble installing ffx on my hd install of
    knoppix 3.8. I'm following the ffx instructions, but everything comes
    unglued when I type './firefox-installer'. Here's the command line text:

    root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.5.installer.tar.gz
    firefox-installer/
    firefox-installer/xpi/
    firefox-installer/xpi/adt.xpi
    firefox-installer/xpi/browser.xpi
    firefox-installer/xpi/en-US.xpi
    firefox-installer/xpi/help.xpi
    firefox-installer/xpi/talkback.xpi
    firefox-installer/xpi/xpcom.xpi
    firefox-installer/config.ini
    firefox-installer/header.png
    firefox-installer/install.ini
    firefox-installer/license.txt
    firefox-installer/watermark.png
    firefox-installer/firefox-installer
    firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin
    root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# cd firefox-installer
    root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer
    Xlib: No protocol specified

    (firefox-installer-bin:7139): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

    I'm logged in as root, and this error msg means nothing to me. Any ideas
    out there?

    TIA

    REO

    roland.E.oderant, Jul 22, 2005

  2. roland.E.oderant

    Jedi Fans Guest

    roland.E.oderant wrote:
    > Ok, I'm experiencing some trouble installing ffx on my hd install of
    > knoppix 3.8. I'm following the ffx instructions, but everything comes
    > unglued when I type './firefox-installer'. Here's the command line text:
    >
    > root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.5.installer.tar.gz
    > firefox-installer/
    > firefox-installer/xpi/
    > firefox-installer/xpi/adt.xpi
    > firefox-installer/xpi/browser.xpi
    > firefox-installer/xpi/en-US.xpi
    > firefox-installer/xpi/help.xpi
    > firefox-installer/xpi/talkback.xpi
    > firefox-installer/xpi/xpcom.xpi
    > firefox-installer/config.ini
    > firefox-installer/header.png
    > firefox-installer/install.ini
    > firefox-installer/license.txt
    > firefox-installer/watermark.png
    > firefox-installer/firefox-installer
    > firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin
    > root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# cd firefox-installer
    > root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer
    > Xlib: No protocol specified
    >

    > (firefox-installer-bin:7139): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    >
    > I'm logged in as root, and this error msg means nothing to me. Any ideas
    > out there?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > REO

    download Ff1.0.6 and try again, if same thing, as a linux newb i dunno
    lol, have ya tried a google for "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by
    server"?

    Jedi Fans, Jul 22, 2005

  3. Jedi Fans wrote:
    > roland.E.oderant wrote:
    >
    >> Ok, I'm experiencing some trouble installing ffx on my hd install of
    >> knoppix 3.8. I'm following the ffx instructions, but everything comes
    >> unglued when I type './firefox-installer'. Here's the command line text:
    >>
    >> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.5.installer.tar.gz
    >> firefox-installer/
    >> firefox-installer/xpi/
    >> firefox-installer/xpi/adt.xpi
    >> firefox-installer/xpi/browser.xpi
    >> firefox-installer/xpi/en-US.xpi
    >> firefox-installer/xpi/help.xpi
    >> firefox-installer/xpi/talkback.xpi
    >> firefox-installer/xpi/xpcom.xpi
    >> firefox-installer/config.ini
    >> firefox-installer/header.png
    >> firefox-installer/install.ini
    >> firefox-installer/license.txt
    >> firefox-installer/watermark.png
    >> firefox-installer/firefox-installer
    >> firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin
    >> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# cd firefox-installer
    >> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer
    >> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    >> Xlib: No protocol specified
    >>

    >> (firefox-installer-bin:7139): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    >>
    >> I'm logged in as root, and this error msg means nothing to me. Any
    >> ideas out there?
    >>
    >> TIA
    >>
    >> REO

    > download Ff1.0.6 and try again, if same thing, as a linux newb i dunno
    > lol, have ya tried a google for "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by
    > server"?

    Yep - got lots of waffle about gnome and X. I'm a n00b too, but I know
    I'm using kde .... I'll keep looking though.

    roland.E.oderant, Jul 22, 2005
  4. roland.E.oderant

    Jedi Fans Guest

    roland.E.oderant wrote:
    > Jedi Fans wrote:
    >> roland.E.oderant wrote:
    >>
    >>> Ok, I'm experiencing some trouble installing ffx on my hd install of
    >>> knoppix 3.8. I'm following the ffx instructions, but everything
    >>> comes unglued when I type './firefox-installer'. Here's the command
    >>> line text:
    >>>
    >>> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.5.installer.tar.gz
    >>> firefox-installer/
    >>> firefox-installer/xpi/
    >>> firefox-installer/xpi/adt.xpi
    >>> firefox-installer/xpi/browser.xpi
    >>> firefox-installer/xpi/en-US.xpi
    >>> firefox-installer/xpi/help.xpi
    >>> firefox-installer/xpi/talkback.xpi
    >>> firefox-installer/xpi/xpcom.xpi
    >>> firefox-installer/config.ini
    >>> firefox-installer/header.png
    >>> firefox-installer/install.ini
    >>> firefox-installer/license.txt
    >>> firefox-installer/watermark.png
    >>> firefox-installer/firefox-installer
    >>> firefox-installer/firefox-installer-bin
    >>> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama# cd firefox-installer
    >>> root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer
    >>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
    >>> Xlib: No protocol specified
    >>>

    >>> (firefox-installer-bin:7139): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:
    >>>
    >>> I'm logged in as root, and this error msg means nothing to me. Any
    >>> ideas out there?
    >>>
    >>> TIA
    >>>
    >>> REO

    >> download Ff1.0.6 and try again, if same thing, as a linux newb i dunno
    >> lol, have ya tried a google for "Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by
    >> server"?

    > Yep - got lots of waffle about gnome and X. I'm a n00b too, but I know
    > I'm using kde .... I'll keep looking though.

    well i know gtk is the layout engine for gnome lol, what distro?

    Jedi Fans, Jul 22, 2005
  5. Jedi Fans wrote:
    > roland.E.oderant wrote:
    >
    >> Jedi Fans wrote:

    >>> download Ff1.0.6 and try again, if same thing, as a linux newb i
    >>> dunno lol, have ya tried a google for "Xlib: connection to ":0.0"
    >>> refused by server"?

    >> Yep - got lots of waffle about gnome and X. I'm a n00b too, but I know
    >> I'm using kde .... I'll keep looking though.

    > well i know gtk is the layout engine for gnome lol, what distro?

    I sort of found a solution. I'm using knoppix. In konsole, type 'xhost
    +' and then go through the normal installation process. It works! My
    problem now is where to find the damn prog, so I can start it without
    using the ruddy command line .... Each time I create a shortcut icon, it
    starts the 1.0.2 version. Linux is so easy :).

    roland.E.oderant, Jul 22, 2005
  6. roland.E.oderant

    Jedi Fans Guest

    roland.E.oderant wrote:
    > Jedi Fans wrote:
    >> roland.E.oderant wrote:

    >>> Yep - got lots of waffle about gnome and X. I'm a n00b too, but I
    >>> know I'm using kde .... I'll keep looking though.

    >> well i know gtk is the layout engine for gnome lol, what distro?

    > I sort of found a solution. I'm using knoppix. In konsole, type 'xhost
    > +' and then go through the normal installation process. It works! My
    > problem now is where to find the damn prog, so I can start it without
    > using the ruddy command line .... Each time I create a shortcut icon, it
    > starts the 1.0.2 version. Linux is so easy :).

    well im using suse and my program links directory is in /usr/sbin or
    /usr/bin i cant remember, something like that - use
    ln -s TARGET LINKNAME
    eg:
    ln -s /usr/local/firefox firefox

    Jedi Fans, Jul 22, 2005
  7. roland.E.oderant

    Z Guest

    roland.E.oderant wrote:
    > root@gadgebox:/home/gadgerama/firefox-installer# ./firefox-installer

    This usually means that you're not allowing x-windows apps to write to
    your x-terminal.

    Type: man xhost

    Z, Jul 24, 2005