    Is there a better way?

    Why do TB and FF require privileges to install extensions that affect
    only my instance of either the mail client or browser?

    Z, Jan 29, 2005

  2. Z wrote:
    > To install extensions into either TB or FF, I have to give my regular
    > user acct Administrator privs, then log back in, install the extensions,
    > log out and reset the acct to Limited.
    >
    > Is there a better way?
    >
    > Why do TB and FF require privileges to install extensions that affect
    > only my instance of either the mail client or browser?

    Unless you want to give admin privileges to the Limited account on a
    permanent basis, I don't see any other way.

    I don't think its TB/FF that's requiring it, its the OS.

    I'm not really an XP expert, but mt user account has admin provileges,
    and I am never asked when I install extensions or themes.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 29, 2005

  3. Z

    Z Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Why do TB and FF require privileges to install extensions that affect
    >> only my instance of either the mail client or browser?

    > Unless you want to give admin privileges to the Limited account on a
    > permanent basis, I don't see any other way.

    I don't want.

    > I don't think its TB/FF that's requiring it, its the OS.
    >
    > I'm not really an XP expert, but mt user account has admin provileges,
    > and I am never asked when I install extensions or themes.

    FF and TB are either modifying the registry or files in a protected
    (from limited users) directory.

    Can anyone tell me what FF/TB needs to change to install extensions?
    Once I know that, maybe I can just modify the permissions on those
    files/folders so that my limited user can write there.

    Z, Jan 29, 2005
  4. Z

    Ranjit Guest

    Z wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >
    >>> Why do TB and FF require privileges to install extensions that affect
    >>> only my instance of either the mail client or browser?

    >> Unless you want to give admin privileges to the Limited account on a
    >> permanent basis, I don't see any other way.

    > I don't want.
    >

    >> I don't think its TB/FF that's requiring it, its the OS.
    >>
    >> I'm not really an XP expert, but mt user account has admin provileges,
    >> and I am never asked when I install extensions or themes.

    > FF and TB are either modifying the registry or files in a protected
    > (from limited users) directory.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me what FF/TB needs to change to install extensions?
    > Once I know that, maybe I can just modify the permissions on those
    > files/folders so that my limited user can write there.

    I may be wrong on this one, but me thinks the extensions get installed
    in the user's profile folder (atleast in XP):
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
    Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random>\extensions.

    Ranjit, Jan 31, 2005
  5. Z

    Z Guest

    Ranjit wrote:
    >> FF and TB are either modifying the registry or files in a protected
    >> (from limited users) directory.
    >>
    >> Can anyone tell me what FF/TB needs to change to install extensions?
    >> Once I know that, maybe I can just modify the permissions on those
    >> files/folders so that my limited user can write there.

    > I may be wrong on this one, but me thinks the extensions get installed
    > in the user's profile folder (atleast in XP):
    > C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application
    > Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<random>\extensions.

    They do. But something else must be happening, maybe in the registry, or
    some other file(s) because a limited on Windows XP Pro user cannot
    install an extension in either Thunderbird or Mozilla.

    Z, Jan 31, 2005