    whatsoever problem at all. But when installing to "guan.com", it complains
    that it cannot connect to active directory and schema master.

    So can Exchange 2000 be installed in different root tree in the same forest?

    Guan Foo Wah, Nov 22, 2003

  2. Ov corse

    Marlin Munrow, Nov 22, 2003

  3. Hi Guan, my 2cents. I'm not certain what the relationship
    is between guan.com and jeff.com and I don't mean to be
    insulting with the following question (adv. apologies) as
    I'm very curious about your situation.
    Is guan.com a another tree in the same forest as jeff.com
    or is it actually another forest root domain (what
    options did you pick when dcpromo ran on the guan.com
    server(s))? At work we use GroupWise (NW/W2K/Unix/MAC/VMS
    mix -> NIGHMARE!) so I'm going from hearsay with Exchange
    (... so do your own research! - Not that this has to be
    said right ;-> ):
    It is my understanding from my MS orientated IT friends
    that Exchange 2K expects all the domains to be in the
    same forest but if guan.com is another forest it will
    have no clue RE: jeff.com and child because apparently
    even in w2k3 you can't unify GCs from other forests. But
    assuming all domains are in the same forest where are
    your GCs? Are all DCs GCs in your setup? If not did you
    misplace a GC by sticking it with the Infra-mast? Check
    your rep status with your new domain then, if that's the
    case it maybe your AD will have issues, but that's a wild
    guess on my part. In your case I'm assuming your guan.com
    domain has only one DC in which case all domain wide FSMO
    roles are on it. Can you check if the domain naming and
    schema mast roles are also on it? If so I think this
    domain is a separate forest as these 2 operations masters
    are forest wide not domain wide in scope and would
    usually be residing in the forest root domain.
    If there are any Exchange experts out there please add
    (or correct as the case maybe) to this as I'd very much
    like to know as I'm debating whether to take Exchange as
    an elective.
    Aside:
    I think this one forest assumption may also be the case
    with SQL2K? Can any MCDBAs can clarify? I would be most
    appreciative.
    Just another IT Peon (learning something new everyday)

    Just another IT Peon, Nov 22, 2003
  4. Guan Foo Wah

    Bay Guest

    Hi, I am studying for the exchange 2000 test also. Do you use the MSPress
    book? If you do, please look at page 44. It says "A single Exchange 2000
    organization cannot span multiple forests, but it is possible to spawn
    multiple domains of a single forest." This should answer your question on
    why your chain domain under jeff.com is OK but not guan.com

    Bay, Nov 23, 2003
  5. Guan Foo Wah

    Guan Foo Wah Guest

    "guan.com" and "jeff.com" both belong in the same forest. They are not from
    different forest.

    To prove that I setup right, I can even transfer schema master and DN master
    directly from jeff.com to guan.com without any problems, and there is a
    transitive trust relationship between these two domains. As I am awere, a
    transitive 2 way trust relationship cannot exist for domains that do not
    belong in the same forest. When I ran dcpromo for "guan.com", I did specify
    to create a new domain and new tree under an existing forest (not new
    forest), and dcpromo asked me a valid account from the existing forest (that
    is enterprise administrator from "jeff.com") for the rights to create a new
    domain and tree under the existing forest. Plus when I ran AD Sites and
    Services snap-in, I can see all domain controllers from jeff.com, guan.com
    and hasl.jeff.com. With that said, I guess this will clear up the confusion
    that all of these domains are really really in the same forest.

    My Sybex MCSE book and Exchange 2000 resource kit from MSPress also says
    that Exchange organization can only span within the same forest, but
    "guan.com" and "jeff.com" is still fall within the same forest. So I am
    quite confused here.

    FYI, all Exchange 2000 are installed on the domain controller and all domain
    controllers are GC enabled.

    "Just another IT Peon" <> wrote in
    message news:411501c3b148$4eb93c70$...

    Guan Foo Wah, Nov 23, 2003
  6. Guan Foo Wah

    Bay Guest

    I don't think it will work because jeff.com and guan.com have different
    namespaces.

    Bay, Nov 24, 2003