    back up to the other parition it says that i need an administrator to
    install the device.

    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Robin Goodfellow, Dec 1, 2005

  2. Robin Goodfellow

    old jon Guest

    "Robin Goodfellow" <> wrote in message
    news:FhGjf.20977$...
    > hi,
    >
    > i was hoping someone could give me a bit of help.
    >
    > I currently have a workstation with 2 partitions, xp is installed on both.
    > One partition is on a domain and although i do have an account with some
    > admin rights i cannot install any plug n play devices, some printers etc.
    > will work as the drivers are already on.
    >
    > The 2nd partition i have full admin rights to, what i was hoping to do was
    > login on the 2nd partition and then manually copy over the appropriate
    > files to allow for use of a scanner on the other partition too.
    >
    > Am I over simplfying this or can it be done this way? I tried copying
    > over the .inf files that were installed and the usbscan.sys file but when
    > i boot back up to the other parition it says that i need an administrator
    > to install the device.
    >
    > Any help would be much appreciated.

    Start\Help and read `Administrator rights`.
    old jon, Dec 1, 2005

  3. >>
    > Start\Help and read `Administrator rights`.

    How does this help?

    There must be a way of moving the drivers over manually as the system will
    automatically find some of the newer devices.
    Robin Goodfellow, Dec 1, 2005
  4. Robin Goodfellow

    >> Start\Help and read `Administrator rights`.
    >>

    > How does this help?

    Sorry R. thought you wanted to take over Admin rights on the other
    partition.
    bw..OJ
    old jon, Dec 1, 2005
  5. I want to install the scanner into the partition I don't have the admin
    rights for. I thought that I could do this by simply copying the drivers to
    the system32 folder and letting the plug n play do the rest but that didn't
    seem to work.

    I have just read on the microsoft website that if the drivers are not
    ditially signed then you have to be an admin so it looks like I am going to
    have to find another way to go about this.
    Robin Goodfellow, Dec 1, 2005
  6. Robin Goodfellow

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-01, Robin Goodfellow <> wrote:
    > I want to install the scanner into the partition I don't have the admin
    > rights for. I thought that I could do this by simply copying the drivers to
    > the system32 folder and letting the plug n play do the rest but that didn't
    > seem to work.
    >
    > I have just read on the microsoft website that if the drivers are not
    > ditially signed then you have to be an admin so it looks like I am going to
    > have to find another way to go about this.

    Ask whoever is the admin of that system.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 1, 2005
  7. > Ask whoever is the admin of that system.

    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    Why bother even wasting your time replying.

    Obviously that is not an option or I wouldn't be posting here asking how to
    bypass it.
    Robin Goodfellow, Dec 1, 2005
  8. Robin Goodfellow wrote:
    > hi,
    >
    > i was hoping someone could give me a bit of help.
    >
    > I currently have a workstation with 2 partitions, xp is installed on both.
    > One partition is on a domain and although i do have an account with some
    > admin rights i cannot install any plug n play devices,

    Have you actually thought that whoever the Admin of this machine is (not
    you obviously) doesn't WANT you to install any extra devices? Why not
    approach the admin and discuss this?

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Ubuntu 5.10
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Dec 1, 2005
  9. Robin Goodfellow

    old jon Guest

    "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    > On 2005-12-01, Robin Goodfellow <> wrote:
    >> I want to install the scanner into the partition I don't have the admin
    >> rights for. I thought that I could do this by simply copying the drivers
    >> the system32 folder and letting the plug n play do the rest but that
    >> didn't
    >> seem to work.
    >>
    >> I have just read on the microsoft website that if the drivers are not
    >> ditially signed then you have to be an admin so it looks like I am going
    >> have to find another way to go about this.

    > Ask whoever is the admin of that system.

    He doesn`t need any help Whiskers. He knows all the answers.

    old jon, Dec 1, 2005

  10. > Have you actually thought that whoever the Admin of this machine is (not
    > you obviously) doesn't WANT you to install any extra devices? Why not
    > approach the admin and discuss this?

    They will install them if I ask except they charge a lot of money to do it.
    It is a semi managed system and I am not about to start paying to use a
    scanner on one machine. This newsgroup seems to have changed a lot since I
    was last here, I would prefer no replies at all instead of people trying to
    be funny.

    Thanks for your suggestion
    Robin Goodfellow, Dec 1, 2005
  11. Robin Goodfellow wrote:
    >>Have you actually thought that whoever the Admin of this machine is (not
    >>you obviously) doesn't WANT you to install any extra devices? Why not
    >>approach the admin and discuss this?

    > They will install them if I ask except they charge a lot of money to do it.

    > It is a semi managed system and I am not about to start paying to use a
    > scanner on one machine.

    Could you explain "Semi-managed"? Either a machine is managed or it is
    not. And where is this machine situated? If it belongs to you, then
    change the way it's managed.

    This newsgroup seems to have changed a lot since I
    > was last here, I would prefer no replies at all instead of people trying to
    > be funny.
    >
    > Thanks for your suggestion

    No-one's trying to be funny - your original post would suggest that you
    are trying to circumvent security set in place by someone else for a reason.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Dec 1, 2005
  12. Gordon Burgess-Parker wrote:
    > Robin Goodfellow wrote:
    >
    >>>Have you actually thought that whoever the Admin of this machine is (not
    >>>you obviously) doesn't WANT you to install any extra devices? Why not
    >>>approach the admin and discuss this?

    >>They will install them if I ask except they charge a lot of money to do it.

    >>It is a semi managed system and I am not about to start paying to use a
    >>scanner on one machine.

    > Could you explain "Semi-managed"? Either a machine is managed or it is
    > not. And where is this machine situated? If it belongs to you, then
    > change the way it's managed.
    >

    > This newsgroup seems to have changed a lot since I
    >
    >>was last here, I would prefer no replies at all instead of people trying to
    >>be funny.
    >>
    >>Thanks for your suggestion

    > No-one's trying to be funny - your original post would suggest that you
    > are trying to circumvent security set in place by someone else for a reason.

    In addition, if the machine is NOT part of a domain, then you can create
    an account with Admin rights and take ownership of whatever you need to.
    Don't forget - whoever you pay to maintain this machine is there to
    serve YOU, not the other way around.

    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Dec 1, 2005

  13. > In addition, if the machine is NOT part of a domain, then you can create
    > an account with Admin rights and take ownership of whatever you need to.
    > Don't forget - whoever you pay to maintain this machine is there to
    > serve YOU, not the other way around.

    Each workstation is partioned, a managed side and a non-managed side. The
    managed side I have an account with certain rights,, change users, passwords
    etc. but I am cannot add devices or install software, this is due to the
    fact that this side of the computer is being managed by an outside company
    and we rent software licences from them. They do not want to have to have
    to deal with people messing up the operating system so they will install
    drivers but they charge a call-out fee for this service. Which is extremely
    high.

    The other partition is mine to do with as I please, running XP but with none
    of their software installed. I have full admin rights and I can do what I
    like, so i can install my scanner. The problem is that Idont have the
    licence for the software I want to use with the scanner, it's on the other
    partition, so I was hoping to just copy the device drivers over or find some
    other way of getting this to work. From the partition I have full admin
    rights to I can access everything.

    I'm just going to have to keep reading, i'm sure there is a way to do it.
    Robin Goodfellow, Dec 1, 2005
  14. Robin Goodfellow

    Trax Guest

    "Robin Goodfellow" <> wrote:

    |>> In addition, if the machine is NOT part of a domain, then you can create
    |>> an account with Admin rights and take ownership of whatever you need to.
    |>> Don't forget - whoever you pay to maintain this machine is there to
    |>> serve YOU, not the other way around.
    |>>

    |>Each workstation is partioned, a managed side and a non-managed side. The
    |>managed side I have an account with certain rights,, change users, passwords
    |>etc. but I am cannot add devices or install software, this is due to the
    |>fact that this side of the computer is being managed by an outside company
    |>and we rent software licences from them. They do not want to have to have
    |>to deal with people messing up the operating system so they will install
    |>drivers but they charge a call-out fee for this service. Which is extremely
    |>high.
    |>
    |>The other partition is mine to do with as I please, running XP but with none
    |>of their software installed. I have full admin rights and I can do what I
    |>like, so i can install my scanner. The problem is that Idont have the
    |>licence for the software I want to use with the scanner, it's on the other
    |>partition, so I was hoping to just copy the device drivers over or find some
    |>other way of getting this to work. From the partition I have full admin
    |>rights to I can access everything.
    |>
    |>I'm just going to have to keep reading, i'm sure there is a way to do it.

    Then you could import the registry from the managed side, hummm

    You don't need admin rights, just a clue.

    --
    Take a break...
    http://games.briankass.com/
    Trax, Dec 1, 2005

  15. >
    > Then you could import the registry from the managed side, hummm
    >
    > You don't need admin rights, just a clue.
    >
    > --
    > Take a break...
    > http://games.briankass.com/
    > http://www.everyvideogame.com/gamelist.php?start=951&sys=all

    I dont have access to regedit on the managed side. I tried copying every
    file that was installed when I put it onto my side but when I reboot into
    the managed side it says that I need to either type in username and password
    with admin rights or to log off and on again as administrator.

    This is what I am not sure about, when a device is installed does it alter
    the registry as well, I thought it would just be an .inf. There are some
    printers and scanners that work straight out of the box because the the
    drivers have been previously installed.
    Robin Goodfellow, Dec 1, 2005
  16. Robin Goodfellow

    Trax Guest

    "Robin Goodfellow" <> wrote:

    |>> Then you could import the registry from the managed side, hummm
    |>>
    |>> You don't need admin rights, just a clue.
    |>>

    |>I dont have access to regedit on the managed side. I tried copying every
    |>file that was installed when I put it onto my side but when I reboot into
    |>the managed side it says that I need to either type in username and password
    |>with admin rights or to log off and on again as administrator.
    |>
    |>This is what I am not sure about, when a device is installed does it alter
    |>the registry as well, I thought it would just be an .inf. There are some
    |>printers and scanners that work straight out of the box because the the
    |>drivers have been previously installed.

    I might be wrong, NT and Wk2 allow'd you to import a registry in
    regedit to snoop around- XP want's to append an import to my registry.
    I'm done testing it.

    Trax, Dec 1, 2005
  17. Robin Goodfellow

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-01, Robin Goodfellow <> wrote:
    >> Ask whoever is the admin of that system.

    > Why bother even wasting your time replying.
    >
    > Obviously that is not an option or I wouldn't be posting here asking how to
    > bypass it.

    Why is that not an option? Are you perchance using the system without the
    owner of it knowing that you are using it? Why do you want to modify
    someone else's system without them knowing? Do you want to dig yourself
    any deeper into your hole?

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 1, 2005
  18. Robin Goodfellow

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2005-12-01, old jon <> wrote:

    > "Whiskers" <> wrote in message
    >> On 2005-12-01, Robin Goodfellow <> wrote:
    >>> I want to install the scanner into the partition I don't have the admin
    >>> rights for. I thought that I could do this by simply copying the drivers
    >>> the system32 folder and letting the plug n play do the rest but that
    >>> didn't
    >>> seem to work.
    >>>
    >>> I have just read on the microsoft website that if the drivers are not
    >>> ditially signed then you have to be an admin so it looks like I am going
    >>> have to find another way to go about this.

    >> Ask whoever is the admin of that system.
    >>

    > He doesn`t need any help Whiskers. He knows all the answers.

    Heh ;))

    --
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Dec 1, 2005