    run the install again?
    Thanks
    Cliff

    Cliff, Nov 18, 2004

  2. Cliff

    thing Guest

    Cliff wrote:
    > I have successfully downloaded and burnt an iso for disc 1 of sarge.
    > and have used it to provide a basic debian installation.
    > Debian is now dual booting successfully alongside Win98.
    > I have an xtra jetstream connection.
    > When I installed Debian I wasn't able to provide info for the
    > internet connection.
    > Can someone please tell me what I should have entered during the
    > installation process to establish an internet connection via
    > jetstream.
    > Also where can I now enter that info or would it be simpler for me to
    > run the install again?
    > Thanks
    > Cliff

    Internal ADSL card or a external router?

    If an external card you need to give your Debian box the IP of the
    router as the default gateway, also a DNS entry. At this point you setup
    /etc/apt/sources.list to show a NZ debian mirror and the netinst updates
    and install all you want.

    ergards

    Steven

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Nov 18, 2004

  3. Cliff

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Cliff wrote:

    > I have successfully downloaded and burnt an iso for disc 1 of sarge.
    > and have used it to provide a basic debian installation.
    > Debian is now dual booting successfully alongside Win98.
    > I have an xtra jetstream connection.
    > When I installed Debian I wasn't able to provide info for the
    > internet connection.
    > Can someone please tell me what I should have entered during the
    > installation process to establish an internet connection via
    > jetstream.
    > Also where can I now enter that info or would it be simpler for me to
    > run the install again?
    > Thanks
    > Cliff

    By default it will set up DHCP on the network card, so if your router does
    that you are set up already. You should be able to see it query as it
    boots.
    Or you can configure /etc/network/interfaces statically with IP and gateway
    man interfaces
    and /etc/resolv.conf with DNS
    man resolv.conf
    The usual common network cards are compiled in the kernel on the install
    disks
    If you run apt-setup then select http then New Zealand it will enter the nz
    mirror in /etc/apt/sources.list and update
    Then just run aptitude to select packages
    once apt is working you can comment out the cd line in /etc/apt/sources.list

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 18, 2004
  4. Cliff

    Cliff Guest

    > Internal ADSL card or a external router?
    >
    > If an external card you need to give your Debian box the IP of the router
    > as the default gateway, also a DNS entry. At this point you setup
    > /etc/apt/sources.list to show a NZ debian mirror and the netinst updates
    > and install all you want.

    Thanks for this. It is an external router.
    My router control panel is accessed on my browser at
    10.0.0.2 is that its IP ?
    Within the control panel DNS entries are both 0.0.0.0
    Should I use these or the 207.27.184.3 that xtra uses?

    Without reinstalling where exactly can I give Debian the router IP etc?

    Thanks
    Cliff

    Cliff, Nov 18, 2004
  5. Cliff

    Cliff Guest

    "Alex Axolotl" <> wrote in message
    > By default it will set up DHCP on the network card, so if your router does
    > that you are set up already. You should be able to see it query as it
    > boots.
    > Or you can configure /etc/network/interfaces statically with IP and
    > gateway
    > man interfaces
    > and /etc/resolv.conf with DNS
    > man resolv.conf
    > The usual common network cards are compiled in the kernel on the install
    > disks

    The problem is my network card is not listed. What should I do in this case?

    Cliff, Nov 18, 2004
  6. Cliff

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Cliff wrote:

    > "Alex Axolotl" <> wrote in message
    >> By default it will set up DHCP on the network card, so if your router
    >> does that you are set up already. You should be able to see it query as
    >> it boots.
    >> Or you can configure /etc/network/interfaces statically with IP and
    >> gateway
    >> man interfaces
    >> and /etc/resolv.conf with DNS
    >> man resolv.conf
    >> The usual common network cards are compiled in the kernel on the install
    >> disks

    > The problem is my network card is not listed. What should I do in this
    > case?

    What sort of network card ?

    Theres a couple of useful configurators

    apt-get install modconf
    dpkg-reconfigure modconf
    and have a look for the correct module and install it

    To make the network card setup easy
    apt-get install etherconf
    dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 18, 2004
  7. Cliff

    > What sort of network card ?

    Realtek RTL 8029AS

    > Theres a couple of useful configurators
    >
    > apt-get install modconf
    > dpkg-reconfigure modconf
    > and have a look for the correct module and install it
    >

    > To make the network card setup easy
    > apt-get install etherconf
    > dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

    I do not seem to have either modconf or etherconf

    Cliff, Nov 18, 2004
  8. Cliff

    Alex Axolotl Guest

    Cliff wrote:

    > "Alex Axolotl" <> wrote in message
    >> What sort of network card ?

    > Realtek RTL 8029AS
    >

    >> Theres a couple of useful configurators
    >>
    >> apt-get install modconf
    >> dpkg-reconfigure modconf
    >> and have a look for the correct module and install it
    >>

    >> To make the network card setup easy
    >> apt-get install etherconf
    >> dpkg-reconfigure etherconf

    > I do not seem to have either modconf or etherconf

    The kernel might not have an ne2k module

    To list your modules

    lsmod

    If there is no card listed try

    modprobe ne2k-pci

    I have successfully installed Sarge from the first CD onto two PCs, one with
    a Via Rhine network card and one with an RTL 8139 so you might have to
    change nics

    Not really expert at this stuff, just trying to help out.

    Alex Axolotl, Nov 19, 2004
  9. Cliff

    -[Myth]- Guest

    On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:00:17 +1300, Cliff wrote:

    >> Internal ADSL card or a external router?
    >>
    >> If an external card you need to give your Debian box the IP of the router
    >> as the default gateway, also a DNS entry. At this point you setup
    >> /etc/apt/sources.list to show a NZ debian mirror and the netinst updates
    >> and install all you want.

    > Within the control panel DNS entries are both 0.0.0.0
    > Should I use these or the 207.27.184.3 that xtra uses?

    Most routers provide a DNS proxy, set the DNS to your router IP, you will
    probably find it faster (most support caching)

    -[Myth]-, Nov 19, 2004