Installing cable modem

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Pepperoni, Sep 12, 2004.

  1. Pepperoni

    Pepperoni Guest

    Do you have cable tv, or previously installed cable in the house? That
    could save install time. Some providers allow you to purchase your own
    modem. It is better to have the installer come out and hook you up, because
    there may be a trap (block) installed somewhere on your line. The installer
    also has the tools to test your signal strength and knows the procedure for
    registering your modem for service.

    Give them a call and see how long it will take; they may be able to get to
    you in a few days.

    You will love cable service.

    "Michael" <> wrote in message news:...
    > I want to get a cable connection, but it takes them a long time to install
    > it. A friend got his and took about 2 or 3 weeks. Is installing the

    cable

    Pepperoni, Sep 12, 2004

  2. Pepperoni

    Pepperoni Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message news:...

    > I have cable tv right now. I know I would love cable service. But, I

    don't
    > want to wait and wait for it. Not only that, but I don't like others
    > messing with my computer.

    The sooner you call, the less you need to wait. Install will be simple.
    Generally, they will even add an ethernet card to your desktop pc. (they
    don't do laptops) I do prefer to add the ethernet card myself. (about $15,
    ,make sure it's plug & play; have your install CD handy, you'll need to add
    items from the communications group) Hint: set your dialup to NOT auto dial
    on start-up, set your mail to NOT check for mail automatically. You'll need
    to reconfigure your mail for the new connection. Once you get the cable
    installed, you'll need to set your LAN properties to "never dial a
    connection".

    I prefer to use a router. This allows you to run multiple pcs on a single
    connection, and functions as a hardware firewall. (don't let a salesman
    sell you a hub for this purpose) A router does contain a switch, however
    and other functions, besides. Routers with 4 port switch can be had for
    $50.(DLink) You won't need a router to get connected, but it does provide
    security against the network nasties. Use a software firewall, too.

    I decided to wire my upstairs to prevent cords snaking between rooms. Face
    plates are available similar to AC plugs or phone plugs (and combo
    ethernet/phone jacks). I prefer the type that takes cables with preformed
    heads, but they also sell the type you wire yourself. I merely ran the cords
    through the attic and set the face plates in the ceiling above my work
    spaces. Costs about $10 for each face plate/plug set, plus the cost of the
    cables. Radio Shack carries the parts, and most major stores. (usually near
    the cables) This is a great way to run wires if you own your home. (or have
    an understanding landlord)

    Pepperoni

    Michael, Sep 12, 2004
  4. Pepperoni

    Michael Guest

    Michael, Sep 12, 2004
  5. Pepperoni

    Ionizer Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message news:...

    > Thanks for the info. Right now I will only have one computer connected.
    > Maybe sometime down the line I will get a cheap second computer. Will

    they
    > have to do work at the pole and run new wires into my house?

    In our case; Rogers Cable, Toronto, the guy just connected a couple of
    these splitters inside the house:
    http://www.bgi.ca/Products/SGHD_Series/SGHD_Features_and_Benefits.htm and
    ran some new cable to my modem. (Months later they came around when doing
    upgrades in our neighbourhood and ran new & improved cable to the house
    from the pole. This seemed to improve my connection speed somewhat and
    gave a better picture on some TV channels.)

    Rogers also offers self-installation kits. They send you home with a
    modem, a CD full of drivers and a step-by-step install guide for each of
    the Operating Systems. We got my sister-in-law hooked up in this way a
    couple of weeks ago with very little trouble.

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Sep 12, 2004
  6. Pepperoni

    Michael Guest

    Michael, Sep 12, 2004
  7. Pepperoni

    ric Guest

    Pepperoni wrote:

    > The sooner you call, the less you need to wait. Install will be simple.
    > Generally, they will even add an ethernet card to your desktop pc. (they
    > don't do laptops) I do prefer to add the ethernet card myself.

    Many new DOCSIS modems are USB compatible. No NIC necessary. My Motorola
    SB5100 is one such modem. Many cable companies DO NOT allow "do it yourself"
    initial installations. Those that do have large fees to send out a tech to
    undo any screwups the self installer might have done. From the sound of the
    OP's post, methinks he should opt for the cable company installation.

    ric, Sep 12, 2004
  8. Pepperoni

    SilverR1_04 Guest

    what cable company do you have?