installing CA on windows 2000 server

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Pamela, Oct 27, 2004.

  1. Pamela

    Pamela Guest

    Hi,

    i'm trying to install my own CA on a windows 2000 server, i've installed
    first the certificate services and run through soms wizards (ive chosen an
    stand alone, root certificate), at last the installation was finished and
    now i open via administrative tools - certificate authority, I see my
    revoked and other certificates. Everything seems good. (CA is running)

    But then in IIS, i go to the standard website (where there are now a few
    extra virtual maps considering my CA) and I want to make a new virtual map.
    In the properties of that new map I want to edit the secure communication
    but... that isn't active...
    When I look in the help file, one says I have to install CA, but I thought
    I'd just did that...

    Can anyone help me with this problem?

    Thx

    Pamela

    Pamela, Oct 27, 2004

  2. Pamela

    Wimbo Guest

    Pamela wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > i'm trying to install my own CA on a windows 2000 server, i've installed
    > first the certificate services and run through soms wizards (ive chosen an
    > stand alone, root certificate), at last the installation was finished and
    > now i open via administrative tools - certificate authority, I see my
    > revoked and other certificates. Everything seems good. (CA is running)
    >
    > But then in IIS, i go to the standard website (where there are now a few
    > extra virtual maps considering my CA) and I want to make a new virtual map.
    > In the properties of that new map I want to edit the secure communication
    > but... that isn't active...
    > When I look in the help file, one says I have to install CA, but I thought
    > I'd just did that...
    >

    > Can anyone help me with this problem?
    >
    > Thx
    >

    > Pamela

    You need to generate a CSR (Certificate Signing Request) on the webserver
    with the IIS Manager for the specific website you want to secure. Submit
    this CSR to your CA (http://127.0.0.1/Certsrv). After submitting it, you
    have to approve the request in the Certificate Authority (pending requests).
    Revisit the website (http://127.0.0.1/Certsrv) and check pending request.
    This will give you a certificate. Open IIS manager and finish the
    certificate request on the webserver. If all went fine, you're able to use
    SSL with that website.

    More detailed info: http://tinyurl.com/43cad

    Wimbo

    Wimbo, Oct 28, 2004