    would be recognized.. Please can somebody help me to get it to work
    Thanks
    Ray
    Robert, Nov 16, 2005

  2. Robert wrote:

    > Hi Group
    > I have an old laptop computer (MITAC 5024) with Windows 98 I still use
    > floppy disks for it.The floppy drive has now gone fauly,so I decided to
    > get
    > an external LPT1 drive. I connected it up to the machine,hoping that it
    > would be recognized.. Please can somebody help me to get it to work
    > Thanks

    You have a hen-and-egg problem here. What you can do is put the drivers on a
    cd or some other media the laptop still can access, and install them.
    Be aware, you will not be able to boot from that floppy anyways.
    If you are lucky, your laptop will be able to boot from cd (a win98 install
    cd with "floppy emulation", a knoppix cd or some bootfloppy/bootcd from
    www.bootdisk.com burnt to a cd) when you set the boot order in your bios.
    Walter Mautner, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Hi
    Not sure what you mean
    Are you saying to install a driver for the external floppy drive
    Ray

    Robert, Nov 16, 2005
  4. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Still havent solved this problem with drive.
    Anybody can heplp me get this floppy installed
    Thanks
    Rob

    Robert, Nov 20, 2005
  5. Robert

    Rich Wilson Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message
    > Still havent solved this problem with drive.
    > Anybody can heplp me get this floppy installed
    > Thanks
    > Rob
    > "Robert" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Group
    >> I have an old laptop computer (MITAC 5024) with Windows 98 I still use
    >> floppy disks for it.The floppy drive has now gone fauly,so I decided to

    > get
    >> an external LPT1 drive. I connected it up to the machine,hoping that it
    >> would be recognized.. Please can somebody help me to get it to work
    >> Thanks
    >> Ray

    You're going to need to give us some more information... exactly what sort
    of drive you've got and how you've connected it, for example.
    Rich Wilson, Nov 21, 2005
  6. Robert

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Robert" <> wrote in message

    > Still havent solved this problem with drive.
    > Anybody can heplp me get this floppy installed
    > Thanks
    > Rob

    Personally, I've never heard of a parallel port floppy - but I guess it's
    just a case of installing the drivers. If this is a generic external
    enclosure that you've mounted a floppy in, the drivers are probably on a
    diskette, so you're going to have to put the diskette in another machine
    that has a CD burner and burn the drivers onto CD, then load the drivers on
    the Win98 machine. If it is an external unit with a pre installed floppy
    drive, then the manufacturer should have included drivers on CD.

    As others have stated, you're not being overly forthcoming with information,
    like what make/model is the floppy/enclosure - stuff like that makes it much
    easier to find out how to fix it.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 21, 2005
  7. Robert

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:Oy9gf.5842$,
    Rich Wilson spewed forth:
    > "Robert" <> wrote in message
    >> Still havent solved this problem with drive.
    >> Anybody can heplp me get this floppy installed
    >> Thanks
    >> Rob
    >> "Robert" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi Group
    >>> I have an old laptop computer (MITAC 5024) with Windows 98 I
    >>> still use floppy disks for it.The floppy drive has now gone
    >>> fauly,so I decided to get an external LPT1 drive. I connected it
    >>> up to the machine,hoping that it would be recognized.. Please can
    >>> somebody help me to get it to work Thanks
    >>> Ray

    > You're going to need to give us some more information... exactly what
    > sort of drive you've got and how you've connected it, for example.

    Heh...it's a floppy drive. It's connected to the LPT1 port.

    (see, ya gotta put the pieces together...the floppy drive has now gone fauly
    (sic) so (he) decided to get an external LPT1 drive.)

    But the *real* questions are this: is the Mitac capable of using an LPT1
    port floppy drive, and is his external LPT1 drive the correct model for his
    Mitac laptop.

    --
    Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but you
    still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    Toolman Tim, Nov 21, 2005
  8. Robert

    Ben Myers Guest

    Go into the BIOS setup and make sure the LPT port is enabled. Be sure
    to save any changes when exiting. If this doesn't help, please repost with
    more information, including the manufacturer and model of the floppy
    drive.

    Ben

    Ben Myers, Nov 21, 2005
  9. Robert

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:43812d60$0$3488$,
    Dan Evans spewed forth:
    > "Robert" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> Still havent solved this problem with drive.
    >> Anybody can heplp me get this floppy installed
    >> Thanks
    >> Rob

    > Personally, I've never heard of a parallel port floppy

    A number of older laptops did that. Specifically, I've used Dell and IBM
    computers made like that. They had one bay, and two drives - a floppy and a
    CD. Since a parallel port uses less than half of the 25 pins, the engineers
    decided they could hardwire the others for a special cable allowing the
    extra drive to connect using that port. However, the computer MUST be wired
    for that special drive cable, or it won't work.

    I don't know anything about the laptop in this thread, but if it wasn't
    wired, it ain't gonna work, or if he has a Dell cable, it may not be wired
    correctly, etc.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 21, 2005
  10. Robert

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message

    > In news:43812d60$0$3488$,
    > Dan Evans spewed forth:
    >> "Robert" <> wrote in message
    >>>

    >>> Still havent solved this problem with drive.
    >>> Anybody can heplp me get this floppy installed
    >>> Thanks
    >>> Rob

    >> Personally, I've never heard of a parallel port floppy

    > A number of older laptops did that. Specifically, I've used Dell and IBM
    > computers made like that. They had one bay, and two drives - a floppy and
    > a CD.

    I had an old Toshiba Satellite that had one bay and two drives, but it used
    its own connector.

    Dan

    Dan Evans, Nov 21, 2005
  11. Robert

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:438180c4$0$3485$,
    Dan Evans spewed forth:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> In news:43812d60$0$3488$,
    >> Dan Evans spewed forth:
    >>> "Robert" <> wrote in message

    >>> Personally, I've never heard of a parallel port floppy

    >> A number of older laptops did that. Specifically, I've used Dell and
    >> IBM computers made like that. They had one bay, and two drives - a
    >> floppy and a CD.

    > I had an old Toshiba Satellite that had one bay and two drives, but
    > it used its own connector.

    Yup - I've seen those too. But I really liked the engineers design using the
    LPT1 port since it already exists and didn't require adding another port to
    what is usually an already tightly packed system. It showed some creative
    thinking.

    Toolman Tim, Nov 21, 2005