    can't seem to find much info now.

    ta

    paddle
    the paddle, Jan 27, 2007

  2. the paddle

    philo Guest

    "the paddle" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi
    >
    > If a PC has in slot 1: 256RAM, slot 2 & 3 empty, and additional RAM of
    > 512MB is to be added, can the 512 go straight in slot 2. Or should it
    > go in slot 1, and the 256 go in slot 2, or does it, as I believe, make
    > no difference? I just thought I read somewhere about slot order, but
    > can't seem to find much info now.

    It rarely (if ever) makes a difference
    philo, Jan 27, 2007

  3. the paddle

    WhzzKdd Guest

    philo wrote:
    > "the paddle" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> If a PC has in slot 1: 256RAM, slot 2 & 3 empty, and additional RAM
    >> of 512MB is to be added, can the 512 go straight in slot 2. Or
    >> should it go in slot 1, and the 256 go in slot 2, or does it, as I
    >> believe, make no difference? I just thought I read somewhere about
    >> slot order, but can't seem to find much info now.
    >>

    > It rarely (if ever) makes a difference

    Wow! You said that so eloquently. I was going to say "Just stick it."
    WhzzKdd, Jan 27, 2007
  4. the paddle

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    > "the paddle" <> wrote in message
    > .
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> If a PC has in slot 1: 256RAM, slot 2 & 3 empty, and
    >> additional RAM of 512MB is to be added, can the 512 go
    >> straight in slot 2. Or should it go in slot 1, and the 256
    >> go in slot 2, or does it, as I believe, make no
    >> difference? I just thought I read somewhere about slot
    >> order, but can't seem to find much info now.
    >>

    > It rarely (if ever) makes a difference

    It mattered in older MB's where the RAM had to be the exact same
    type and put in the slots in a certain order.
    Most new MB's will accept anything anywhere (yes, yes, don't
    bother, OK?)
    Doesn't your MB have a manual or isn't there a website where you
    can check for sure? I would recommend doing that before doing
    anything with ANY MB, just in case.
    thanatoid, Jan 27, 2007
  5. the paddle

    philo Guest

    > > It rarely (if ever) makes a difference

    > It mattered in older MB's where the RAM had to be the exact same
    > type and put in the slots in a certain order.
    > Most new MB's will accept anything anywhere (yes, yes, don't
    > bother, OK?)
    > Doesn't your MB have a manual or isn't there a website where you
    > can check for sure? I would recommend doing that before doing
    > anything with ANY MB, just in case.

    Yes I was assuming that the mobo was not an antique.

    Recently I was working on a Packard Bell P-1
    that had 40 megs of RAM
    8 megs "on board" plus 4, 8 meg sticks

    I took the ram out of the slots and tried to add more ram from my "large
    junk" box of ram...

    Only no matter what I did, things only got worse...

    Then the original RAM somehow got shuffled into the mix...
    and half an hour later...I was just glad that I got the machine up to 32
    megs!!!!

    I'm sure most people think it was a waste of time...
    but I may end up giving the machine to a person who is currently still using
    a 286 and Word Perfect.

    The P1 should be a nice upgrade :)
    philo, Jan 27, 2007
  6. "the paddle" <> wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    > If a PC has in slot 1: 256RAM, slot 2 & 3 empty, and additional RAM of
    > 512MB is to be added, can the 512 go straight in slot 2. Or should it
    > go in slot 1, and the 256 go in slot 2, or does it, as I believe, make
    > no difference? I just thought I read somewhere about slot order, but
    > can't seem to find much info now.
    >
    > ta
    >
    > paddle

    Depends a lot on the motherboard (mainboard) but I would stay with all the
    same sized modules if at all possible. But if it came to a point where I
    had to wait until I could afford to do that, I would put the smaller module
    in the last available slot.

    I would not do the Google work, or spend any time to argue it, it's just
    the way I'd do it.

    Best regards.

    --

    "I am neither a racist nor am I biased!
    Statistics would appear racist and biased.
    Bucky Breeder, Jan 27, 2007
  7. the paddle

    the paddle Guest

    On 27 Jan, 17:47, "the paddle" <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > If a PC has in slot 1: 256RAM, slot 2 & 3 empty, and additional RAM of
    > 512MB is to be added, can the 512 go straight in slot 2. Or should it
    > go in slot 1, and the 256 go in slot 2, or does it, as I believe, make
    > no difference? I just thought I read somewhere about slot order, but
    > can't seem to find much info now.
    >
    > ta
    >
    > paddle

    Thanks all those who replied.

    :) paddle
    the paddle, Jan 27, 2007
  8. the paddle wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > If a PC has in slot 1: 256RAM, slot 2 & 3 empty, and additional RAM of
    > 512MB is to be added, can the 512 go straight in slot 2. Or should it
    > go in slot 1, and the 256 go in slot 2, or does it, as I believe, make
    > no difference? I just thought I read somewhere about slot order, but
    > can't seem to find much info now.
    >
    > ta
    >
    > paddle

    I *think* it only currently makes a difference if you are using high
    speed DDR2 RAM dual channel and all that.
    but otherwise RTFM :))
    Uncopyrightable, Jan 27, 2007
  9. the paddle

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    >> > It rarely (if ever) makes a difference

    >> It mattered in older MB's where the RAM had to be the
    >> exact same type and put in the slots in a certain order.
    >> Most new MB's will accept anything anywhere (yes, yes,
    >> don't bother, OK?)
    >> Doesn't your MB have a manual or isn't there a website
    >> where you can check for sure? I would recommend doing that
    >> before doing anything with ANY MB, just in case.

    > Yes I was assuming that the mobo was not an antique.

    Your assumption, of course, was correct - in those days sticks
    of 256MB were not very common.

    > Recently I was working on a Packard Bell P-1
    > that had 40 megs of RAM
    > 8 megs "on board" plus 4, 8 meg sticks
    >
    > I took the ram out of the slots and tried to add more ram
    > from my "large junk" box of ram...
    >
    > Only no matter what I did, things only got worse...
    >
    > Then the original RAM somehow got shuffled into the mix...
    > and half an hour later...I was just glad that I got the
    > machine up to 32 megs!!!!

    I have been through similar experiences... Just not as bad...
    The 486/66 ended up with 16MB of RAM (it has a 1MB video chip
    on-board) and runs DOS and 3.1 just GREAT. Runs 95 OK.

    > I'm sure most people think it was a waste of time...
    > but I may end up giving the machine to a person who is
    > currently still using a 286 and Word Perfect.

    Nothing wrong with that. I did an 80 page audio/video catalogue
    using a 286 with (IIRC) 8 MB of RAM, POSSIBLY only 4; whatever
    version of PageMaker was current; Corel Draw (yuch - I didn't
    know any better, plus we had nothing else), and a black and
    white HP ScanJet.

    > The P1 should be a nice upgrade :)

    I am doing this on a 9.5 years old 166MMX with 64MB of RAM
    running Win95B. It's faster than anyone's XP or Vista machine is
    (except for the 33.6 modem and converting audio and video - I
    got a 2GHz P4 just for doing the audio work).

    (I say this so often I REALLY should just make it a
    signature...)

    t.

    thanatoid, Jan 27, 2007
  10. the paddle

    philo Guest

    <portions snipped>

    > Nothing wrong with that. I did an 80 page audio/video catalogue
    > using a 286 with (IIRC) 8 MB of RAM, POSSIBLY only 4; whatever
    > version of PageMaker was current; Corel Draw (yuch - I didn't
    > know any better, plus we had nothing else), and a black and
    > white HP ScanJet.

    Well if the 286 came new with either 4 or 8 megs of RAM it must have been
    exceedingly
    expensive.
    A couple of years ago...just for the heck of it...
    I put an ISA memory expansion card in a Zenith Data Systems 286 that I
    pulled
    out of the basement of a warehouse...
    and put in the full 16 megs of RAM (that's the maximum a 286 could address)
    I don't think anyone other than Bill Gates could have afforded that much ram
    at the time.

    Though the machine was hardly a speed demon...it runs win3.1 ok

    > > The P1 should be a nice upgrade :)

    > I am doing this on a 9.5 years old 166MMX with 64MB of RAM
    > running Win95B. It's faster than anyone's XP or Vista machine is
    > (except for the 33.6 modem and converting audio and video - I
    > got a 2GHz P4 just for doing the audio work).

    Yep win95 would work great on that machine.

    Even a 386 with 4 megs of ram 8can* run win95

    I tried it and it's acceptable.

    I experiment with evey type of h/w and OS I can get my hands on

    I even plan to give Vista a try in about ten years or so :)
    philo, Jan 27, 2007
  11. the paddle

    Shep© Guest

    On 27 Jan 2007 09:47:59 -0800Whilst not letting inanimate objects know
    we are in a hurry "the paddle" <> sent this :

    >Hi
    >
    >If a PC has in slot 1: 256RAM, slot 2 & 3 empty, and additional RAM of
    >512MB is to be added, can the 512 go straight in slot 2. Or should it
    >go in slot 1, and the 256 go in slot 2, or does it, as I believe, make
    >no difference? I just thought I read somewhere about slot order, but
    >can't seem to find much info now.
    >
    >ta
    >
    >paddle

    Do you actually need more RAM?

    --
    Free Windows/PC help,
    Shep©, Jan 28, 2007
  12. the paddle

    thanatoid Guest

    "philo" <> wrote in

    <SNIP>

    > I even plan to give Vista a try in about ten years or so :)

    Hee hee. Very smart. BTW, I just read MS is already hard at work
    on Service Pack 1.

    Still your "10 years" made me wonder. Wow... I imagined a future
    with NO Microsoft for a few moments... Nice...

    thanatoid, Jan 28, 2007
  13. philo wrote:

    > Well if the 286 came new with either 4 or 8 megs of RAM it must have been
    > exceedingly
    > expensive.
    > A couple of years ago...just for the heck of it...
    > I put an ISA memory expansion card in a Zenith Data Systems 286 that I
    > pulled
    > out of the basement of a warehouse...
    > and put in the full 16 megs of RAM (that's the maximum a 286 could address)
    > I don't think anyone other than Bill Gates could have afforded that much ram
    > at the time.

    I went to the 1990 Comdex in Atlanta where Bill rolled out Windows 3.0.
    One of the most amazing things I saw at the show was a computer at the
    HP booth that had 64MB of RAM!! All in one computer. That was just 1MB
    short of my extra-huge hard drive I had just bought. HP was disappointed
    to see that the computer with massive amounts of RAM drew more of a
    crowd than their scanners did.

    By the way, the top-of-the-line HP scanner was 300 DPI and was B&W and
    grayscale only. It ran about $1,500 and weighed like a tank.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 28, 2007
  14. You can put the additional 512MB into Slot 2, it doesn't matter where it
    goes. The North Bridge that controls memory will see the slots all as
    equals.

    Make sure the RAM is the same type you've already got in there -- you cannot
    mix and match!

    For example: Your current memory is 256MB DRAM

    You cannot add in a 512 SDRAM as well.. They all need to be the same RAM,
    and the RAM that your motherboard supports.
    RAM have different speeds, and different Processors use different types of
    RAM.

    Hope that's answered that question ^^;

    Warmest Regards,
    Dan

    Daniel Anderson, Jan 28, 2007
  15. the paddle

    philo Guest

    > > I even plan to give Vista a try in about ten years or so :)

    > Hee hee. Very smart. BTW, I just read MS is already hard at work
    > on Service Pack 1.
    >
    > Still your "10 years" made me wonder. Wow... I imagined a future
    > with NO Microsoft for a few moments... Nice...

    Though Linux is getting better all the time...
    and of course nothing lasts forever...
    I'm sure Windows will be around for a very long time!
    philo, Jan 28, 2007
  16. the paddle

    philo Guest

    <portions snipped>

    > I went to the 1990 Comdex in Atlanta where Bill rolled out Windows 3.0.
    > One of the most amazing things I saw at the show was a computer at the
    > HP booth that had 64MB of RAM!! All in one computer. That was just 1MB
    > short of my extra-huge hard drive I had just bought. HP was disappointed
    > to see that the computer with massive amounts of RAM drew more of a
    > crowd than their scanners did.

    Considering that even 5 years later most new machines
    just had 8 or 16 megs of ram or so...
    It was amazing I'd say
    philo, Jan 28, 2007