    George in Las Vegas

    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/hub_search/document.jhtml?lc=en&cc=us&prodId=hppav
    ilion90381&docName=bph03429&printable=true

    George, Feb 25, 2004

  2. George

    Hywel Guest

    In article <OYW_b.17607$>, gkbiv4
    @prodigy.net says...
    > I am trying to install a second hard drive in my Pavilion 503n and the
    > instructions on the web site aren't working. I have installed the hard drive
    > and it shows up in my BIOS. The step after checking that the hard drive
    > shows up in the BIO is to insert the first system recovery disk and turn off
    > the computer by pushing the power button. Then it says to wait 60 seconds
    > before you restart the computer. The next step is "at the advanced options
    > menu select DOS screen. When I reboot I don't get advanced options the
    > computer restarts in Windows XP. If I press F5 while booting I get a group
    > of options but the only operating system available is Windows XP.

    Let your computer boot to Windows XP, then find "Computer Management" in
    Control Panel > Administrative Tools. Expand the "Storage" tab, click
    "Disk Management" - do the partitioning and formatting from there.

    --
    Hywel I do not eat quiche
    http://kibo.org.uk/

    Hywel, Feb 25, 2004

  3. George

    BARRY AYRES Guest

    hi,
    disconnect your xp drive & boot onthe new drive with your floppy in, you
    will then be able to format or fdisk it, once complete shut down, then
    connect the xp drive with it & reboot.
    "George" <> wrote in message
    > I am trying to install a second hard drive in my Pavilion 503n and the
    > instructions on the web site aren't working. I have installed the hard

    drive
    > and it shows up in my BIOS. The step after checking that the hard drive
    > shows up in the BIO is to insert the first system recovery disk and turn

    off
    > the computer by pushing the power button. Then it says to wait 60 seconds
    > before you restart the computer. The next step is "at the advanced options
    > menu select DOS screen. When I reboot I don't get advanced options the
    > computer restarts in Windows XP. If I press F5 while booting I get a group
    > of options but the only operating system available is Windows XP.
    >
    > I am supposed to run FDISK to configure the hard drive. I have tried

    making

    BARRY AYRES, Feb 25, 2004
  4. George

    br1ght Guest

    Your bootdisk with fdisk and format can be found here:
    http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

    Have set the jumper(s) so you have a slave and a
    master? Are they plugged into the right cable/plug?

    Do you have both IDE channels turned on in the bios?
    (this one has got me before since there sometimes is 2
    setting on different bios pages).
    --
    br1ght
    _____________________________

    br1ght, Feb 25, 2004
  5. George

    George Guest

    Thanks for your answers. I didn't get to try any of them because I checked
    the manufacturers website and found a utility that worked.
    George in Las Vegas

    George, Feb 26, 2004
  6. George

    br1ght Guest

    You're welcome. Glad your problem is solve.

    --
    br1ght
    "George" <> wrote in message
    : Thanks for your answers. I didn't get to try any of
    them because I checked
    : the manufacturers website and found a utility that
    worked.
    : George in Las Vegas
    :
    :