  1. I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
    than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im
    running xp

    Michael Branchfield, Dec 31, 2006

  2. Michael Branchfield wrote:

    > I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free)
    > other than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot.
    > im running xp

    If you want to exchange the drives and copy your files _and_ the operating
    system, you need drive/partition imaging. A free disk cloning tool is
    gpartd livecd (Google where you can download it, and what to do with it).

    Walter Mautner, Dec 31, 2006

  3. Michael Branchfield

    Alan Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:
    > Michael Branchfield wrote:
    >
    >> I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free)
    >> other than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot.
    >> im running xp

    > If you want to exchange the drives and copy your files _and_ the operating
    > system, you need drive/partition imaging. A free disk cloning tool is
    > gpartd livecd (Google where you can download it, and what to do with it).

    Some retail-boxed hard drives include the necessary software.

    Alan, Dec 31, 2006
  4. Michael Branchfield

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:28:35 GMT, Michael Branchfield wrote:

    >I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
    >than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im
    >running xp

    That's the drive with the OS on it or just data? Mind you in any case
    you simply want to clone (image) the disk.

    1 free, is a bootable LiveCD of gparted
    copy / move notes with screenshots.
    http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/move/move.htm

    I seem to recall Ranish Partition Manager did cloning as well.

    Non free options, Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, Paragon Drive Backup.

    Maxtor and other drive manufacturer's usually have software with the
    drive or as downloads from thier sites.

    Me

    why?, Dec 31, 2006
  5. Alan wrote:

    > Some retail-boxed hard drives include the necessary software.

    Hmmm. At least here in Europe, harddrives are sold in antistatic bags and
    that's all you get ... the drive overlay software is a thing of the past,
    with XP and linux, and for imaging you can buy Ghost or use a free one (and
    guess, ghost/drive image bootcds are easy to "image" as well).

    Happy New Year :)

    Walter Mautner, Dec 31, 2006
  6. In article <>,
    Walter Mautner <> wrote:

    > Alan wrote:

    > > Some retail-boxed hard drives include the necessary software.

    > Hmmm. At least here in Europe, harddrives are sold in antistatic bags and
    > that's all you get ... the drive overlay software is a thing of the past,
    > with XP and linux, and for imaging you can buy Ghost or use a free one (and
    > guess, ghost/drive image bootcds are easy to "image" as well).
    >
    > Happy New Year :)

    Drive manufactures still make this software available for download
    though.

    David Matthew Wood, Dec 31, 2006
  7. Michael Branchfield

    PeeCee Guest

    "Michael Branchfield" <> wrote in message
    >I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free)
    >other than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot.
    >im running xp

    Michael

    Go to the new drives manufacturers website and download their free tools
    software.
    I have done a few Seagates recently and found their Seatools the simplest
    way to image to a new drive.
    Just "read the instructions" and you will be ok.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Dec 31, 2006
  8. Michael Branchfield

    Fred Kasner Guest

    why? wrote:
    > On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:28:35 GMT, Michael Branchfield wrote:
    >
    >> I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
    >> than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im
    >> running xp

    > That's the drive with the OS on it or just data? Mind you in any case
    > you simply want to clone (image) the disk.
    >
    > 1 free, is a bootable LiveCD of gparted
    > copy / move notes with screenshots.
    > http://gparted.sourceforge.net/larry/move/move.htm
    >
    > I seem to recall Ranish Partition Manager did cloning as well.
    >
    > Non free options, Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, Paragon Drive Backup.
    >
    > Maxtor and other drive manufacturer's usually have software with the
    > drive or as downloads from thier sites.
    >
    > Me

    It would be best to use a program such as Ghost or TrueImage (I prefer
    the latter). What you do is do an "image" without compression. That
    would make a true copy of the old HD. In addition you would have a
    backup program (certainly everyone should have and use one) for future
    safety.
    FK

    Fred Kasner, Dec 31, 2006
  9. Michael Branchfield

    Star@*.* Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
    >than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im
    >running xp

    Acronis at www.acronis.com has a trial version of TrueImage or
    Easy Migrate. Either one will allow the complete cloning of one
    HDD to another.
    I would get TrueImage as it has more features. Use it to do the
    clone and then try some of its other features maby you could
    use the ability to make backups to your old HDD.

    Star@*.*, Jan 1, 2007
  10. Michael Branchfield

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 23:58:44 GMT, Fred Kasner wrote:

    >why? wrote:
    >> On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 07:28:35 GMT, Michael Branchfield wrote:
    >>
    >>> I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free) other
    >>> than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot. im

    <snip free apps>

    >> Non free options, Norton Ghost, Acronis TrueImage, Paragon Drive Backup.
    >>
    >> Maxtor and other drive manufacturer's usually have software with the
    >> drive or as downloads from thier sites.
    >>
    >> Me

    >It would be best to use a program such as Ghost or TrueImage (I prefer
    >the latter). What you do is do an "image" without compression. That
    >would make a true copy of the old HD. In addition you would have a
    >backup program (certainly everyone should have and use one) for future
    >safety.
    >FK

    Why tell me? I just mentioned both those apps to the OP.

    Me

    why?, Jan 1, 2007
  11. Michael Branchfield

    why? Guest

    On Mon, 1 Jan 2007 11:34:22 +1300, PeeCee wrote:

    >"Michael Branchfield" <> wrote in message
    >>I will be installing a new hard drive is there a way (preferably free)
    >>other than copying everything to a slave to transfer my files in one shot.
    >>im running xp

    >Michael
    >
    >Go to the new drives manufacturers website and download their free tools
    >software.
    >I have done a few Seagates recently and found their Seatools the simplest
    >way to image to a new drive.
    >Just "read the instructions" and you will be ok.

    As long as you point out it's Seagate HD with Seatools, Maxtor HD with
    Maxtor tools. Or have they removed that restriction for the new drive to
    be thier own brand?

    Me

    why?, Jan 1, 2007