    Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed

    TIA

    , Apr 13, 2005

  2. Miles Ahead Guest

    On Wed, 13 Apr 2005 14:09:08 GMT, wrote:

    >I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
    >HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
    >partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
    >which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
    >
    >I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
    >It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up

    Why not run the Dos program under real Dos?? You can either boot
    a Dos CD or install Dos on C: along with Win98.

    Miles Ahead, Apr 13, 2005

  3. Ron Martell Guest

    wrote:

    >I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
    >HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
    >partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
    >which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
    >
    >I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
    >It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
    >have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
    >then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
    >or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
    >same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.
    >
    >What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
    >the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
    >HD after a fresh installation of XP.
    >
    >Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed
    >
    >TIA

    The "Devilsown" version of Windows XP is/was an authorized copy of the
    Volume Licensed version.

    You did not indicate which type of Windows XP you are going to obtain.

    First of all, no version of XP Home (retail full, retail upgrade, or
    OEM) will do a "repair install" or otherwise replace your bootleg XP
    Pro. It will have to be XP Pro if you want to retain the installed
    programs etc.

    With a legit XP Pro you have a couple of possibilities:
    1. It might just be as simple as changing the product key used. You
    can do this with the key finder utility from
    http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/keyfinder.exe as it also has a key
    change function.
    2. You might have to do a repair install of XP Pro as per the
    instructions at http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    If you want to use the lower priced XP Home version then your only
    option is to use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard in Windows XP
    to save your existing data files and program configuration settings to
    another hard drive partition, a network drive, or a removable backup
    device. Then format the XP partition, install your new XP Home
    clean, reinstall the application programs, and then run FASTW again to
    import the saved data and configuration settings.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron Martell, Apr 13, 2005
  4. °Mike° Guest

    In <>,
    took 19 lines to utter:

    <snip>

    >What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown

    How can there be downsides to installing a legitimate copy
    over an illegal, pirated copy?

    --
    Damn thief.

    °Mike°, Apr 13, 2005
  5. Ghostrider Guest

    wrote:
    > I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
    > HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
    > partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
    > which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
    >
    > I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
    > It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
    > have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
    > then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
    > or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
    > same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.
    >
    > What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
    > the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
    > HD after a fresh installation of XP.
    >
    > Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed
    >
    > TIA

    There is probably nothing wrong at all with the Windows XP
    that is installed. Rather, the DOS program could probably be
    draining all of the resources being used by the computer to
    sustain its running while in the DOS window. Right click on
    the icon for the DOS application and check its properties.
    Pay particular attention to the memory and other settings so
    that the DOS window for this application is pretty much the
    same as it would be in an ordinary DOS box. And then there
    are some DOS programs so badly programmed that they cannot
    conserve resources and crash.

    Ghostrider, Apr 13, 2005
  6. FML Guest

    spewed forth...

    > I have Devilsown XP Pro, release date 8/29/01. It is on a 80 gig Fat32
    > HD. The HD has 2 partition a 2 gig W98 and the XP one. I need the W98
    > partition as there is a program I run which has no XP version and
    > which will not run under XP. I want to go to a legit version of XP.
    >
    > I have a DOS program which I use daily which is on the XP partition.
    > It will usually load and run under XP but will eventually lock up. I
    > have removed all start up progams and background programs and even
    > then it eventually locks up. My feeling is that there is something in,
    > or not in, Devilsown XP that is causing this. A friend is running the
    > same DOS program under a legit XP with no problems.
    >
    > What are the downsides of installing a legit XP over the Devilsown in
    > the XP partition. I would like to avoid the complete rebuilding of my
    > HD after a fresh installation of XP.
    >
    > Constructive comments and recommendations needed and welcomed
    >
    > TIA

    Regarding your DOS program, read this article and see if it helps:
    (scroll down to the middle of the page to Running MS-DOS programs in
    Windows XP)

    http://www.zdnet.com.au/insight/0,39023731,20265375-2,00.htm

    FML, Apr 13, 2005