Installing a CDRW Drive -- Now windows won't boot

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Guest, Sep 6, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I recently purchased a cdrw drive and now am experiencing problems with it. First off, my computer crashed when DOS was attempting to identify the new hardware, so I had to manually install the CD-RW. Now, when the CD-RW is in, Windows refuses to boot. I have the correct master/slave configuration and I can acess the drive in DOS promt. I heard something about windows not booting if a pin is missing, which in my case, there is a pin thats entirely missing, not bent. Please help, I need to know if I should return this CD-RW or if there is a way I can fix it.

Guest, Sep 6, 2003
    1. Advertising

2. Guest

olfart Guest

what O/S?
    what CD writer?
    <> wrote in message
    news:a9o6b.173683$...
    | I recently purchased a cdrw drive and now am experiencing problems with it.
    First off, my computer crashed when DOS was attempting to identify the new
    hardware, so I had to manually install the CD-RW. Now, when the CD-RW is in,
    Windows refuses to boot. I have the correct master/slave configuration and I can
    acess the drive in DOS promt. I heard something about windows not booting if a
    pin is missing, which in my case, there is a pin thats entirely missing, not
    bent. Please help, I need to know if I should return this CD-RW or if there is a
    way I can fix it.
    |
    |

olfart, Sep 6, 2003
    1. Advertising

3. Guest

Jimmy Dean Guest

On Sat, 06 Sep 2003 16:43:50 GMT, <> wrote:

> I recently purchased a cdrw drive and now am experiencing problems with it.
    > First off, my computer crashed when DOS was attempting to identify the new
    > hardware, so I had to manually install the CD-RW. Now, when the CD-RW is in,
    > Windows refuses to boot. I have the correct master/slave configuration and
    > I can acess the drive in DOS promt. I heard something about windows not
    > booting if a pin is missing, which in my case, there is a pin thats entirely missing,
    > not bent. Please help, I need to know if I should return this CD-RW or if there is a way I can fix it.

Just before Win98 boots press F8 once a second, then when the startup
    menu displays, choose Step-by-Step config. Choose yes at each step
    present but keep track of the steps as they occur and note where the
    Windows load process hangs. Might give a clue as to what's happening.

jd

Jimmy Dean, Sep 7, 2003
    1. Advertising