installing 64bit SAS HA help

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by spock, Jul 19, 2008.

  1. spock

    spock Guest

    Hello Everyone

    I have a problem I have a machine with XP X64 installed and Adaptec SAS 4800 HA installed
    but due to fact that
    fan has got noisy and I mean VERY noisy and even thou the card is still under warranty.
    Adaptec in Australia don't
    want to help me. OK I got me a SAS 48300 which does not have a fan, heres the problem
    because my motherboard
    board only have one pci-x slot which means I can only have one card in the machine at a
    time How do I install the drivers.

    You see the drivers are different, I don't know how to install the drivers for new card
    while the old card is still installed.
    I have never done this sort of thing before, and before say it I tried to fit 48300 in the
    pci slot and guess what I can't get it to fit.

    Please help the answer is possibily starring me in the face but I can't see it.

    Thanks in advance.

    spock, Jul 19, 2008

  2. The 4800 _might_ fit in a PCI slot - it depends on the card - some do, some
    don't. (My adaptec SAS card won't either, but it's worth a try to check.)

    First, before you do anything - make a FULL BACKUP. I personally prefer
    something like Acronis TrueImage, but even good old NTBackup will do the
    job. But get your important data onto some non-SAS controlled drive so you
    have a fallback.

    Then, make sure you have the drivers for the new card available on floppy,
    and that you have a floppy drive available. If the machine doesn't natively
    have one, borrow one for a bit and plug it in, or get a USB floppy drive.

    Power down, remove the old SAS card, and insert the new one, and boot off
    your XP x64 CD.
    Press F6 when you see the prompt at the bottom of the screen. This will let
    you load the drivers. Now follow the instructions for a Repair Install. The
    best instructions for a Repair Install are on Michael Steven's site at:
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 19, 2008

  3. spock

    spock Guest

    Thanks I spent nearly 3 hours doing backups with the backup programm
    that comes with XP X64 and then with acronis as well then had to intialize
    the drive in the HA which did not affect the files etc.
    Then I forced "add hardware" to install drivers without the device present I
    did not know you could do that until went a looking.
    BTW I don't have access to a usb floopy. I find it is useless as the bios updates for
    my motherboard are 2mb and will not filt on a floppy. I also find that floppies are the
    most unreliable devices ever used on computers with at least 50% failure rate over time.
    Thanks again

    spock, Jul 20, 2008
  4. "spock" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks I spent nearly 3 hours doing backups with the backup programm
    > that comes with XP X64 and then with acronis as well then had to intialize
    > the drive in the HA which did not affect the files etc.
    > Then I forced "add hardware" to install drivers without the device present
    > did not know you could do that until went a looking.
    > BTW I don't have access to a usb floopy. I find it is useless as the bios
    > updates for
    > my motherboard are 2mb and will not filt on a floppy. I also find that
    > floppies are the
    > most unreliable devices ever used on computers with at least 50% failure
    > rate over time.
    > Thanks again

    I have had enough situations where keeping the old legacy stuff around has
    paid off. BIOS updates are not the only uses for floppies. I treat PS/2
    ports the same way.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 20, 2008
  5. Some things, at least until the Vista and later OS versions, require floppy.
    I keep one around "just in case". None of us like it, but sometimes it's
    necessary. I have an old, standard, 3.5" floppy drive removed from a long
    dead desktop, complete with cable and that little power adapter cable, and I
    have an inexpensive USB floppy left over from one laptop or another I had
    years ago. Both are sitting in zip lock bags on a back shelf.

    With XP x64 not having SATA or SAS drivers for the majority of the
    motherboards out there, it was real handy to have them. Especially since I
    haven't built or ordered boxes with floppy for a long time.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 20, 2008
  6. yup. handy to keep around. And cheap.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 20, 2008
  7. spock

    R. C. White Guest

    Hi, Charlie.

    My small tower case has a couple of extra 5 1/4" slots so I've installed my
    floppy drive there. It's a "combination" drive with both 3 1/2" and 5 1/4"
    slots in a single half-height internal unit. While I haven't inserted a 5
    1/4" diskette in a decade or so, it's comforting to know that I can if I
    want to - or need to.

    When my computer's RAM caused a melt-down a couple of weeks ago, I needed
    the 3 1/2" floppy to re-install SATA and RAID drivers as I reinstalled WinXP
    SP3. Vista had the drivers built-in, but WinXP still doesn't. And WinXP
    won't accept boot device drivers from USB or CD, either, in my experience.

    RC
    --
    R. C. White, CPA
    San Marcos, TX

    Microsoft Windows MVP

    R. C. White, Jul 21, 2008
  8. Exactly correct, and why I keep the spares around. I don't bother keeping
    any of them inserted into any of my machines, but if I ever need to rebuild,
    they're there. The F6 floppy for each machine is taped to the inside of the
    cover.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2008
  9. Gee - keeping'em there, isn't that a 'High Security Erasure Zone'?

    Personally, with the difficulty of preserving floppies over several years
    (or decades) in mind, I've come to put myself under a strict regime (the
    only kind of strictness I could ever muster) of formating those floppies and
    storing them along-side all the old system CD's, in one safe place, and
    re-creating them when they are needed.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 21, 2008
  10. "Charlie Russel - MVP" <> wrote in message
    > Exactly correct, and why I keep the spares around. I don't bother keeping
    > any of them inserted into any of my machines, but if I ever need to
    > rebuild, they're there. The F6 floppy for each machine is taped to the
    > inside of the cover.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.

    Charlie, you remind me of a time my wife cleaned up my computer area years
    ago. It was back in the days of the PC clones and everything was on 5.25
    floppies. I came home from work and found that my wife had neatly organized
    the stack of discs on my computer table by carefully pinning each disc to
    the side of the metal file cabinet with refrigerator magnets. Row upon row
    where I could easily see each one.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 21, 2008
  11. Well, all of the files are also on the server, should a floppy decide to
    self destruct. But so far, they're just fine.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2008
  12. How nice. I'm sure you really appreciated it. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jul 21, 2008
  13. spock

    Gary Walter Guest

    I remember a secretary in the "old floppy days"
    whose work was constantly being corrupted.

    Turned out that at the close of the work day
    she would prop her work floppy up against
    front of monitor so it would be conveniently
    there the next morning...

    so when she turned her computer on, the monitor
    blasted the floppy with all the bad emissions they
    put out in those days.

    Gary Walter, Jul 23, 2008
  14. spock

    Jeff Gaines Guest

    On 23/07/2008 in message <> Gary
    Walter wrote:

    >so when she turned her computer on, the monitor
    >blasted the floppy with all the bad emissions they
    >put out in those days.

    More likely it de-gaussed itself, most CRT monitors seemed to do this at
    start up.

    --
    Jeff Gaines Damerham Hampshire UK
    "Why is it that when we talk to God we're said to be praying,

    Jeff Gaines, Jul 23, 2008
  15. spock

    Gary Walter Guest

    This was *way back* in DOS/Zenith 286, no-harddrive days
    where one 5.25 floppy booted DOS and other held program(s)
    and data...

    I don't remember monitors being that sophisticated back then...

    of course I could be wrong...

    BTW thank you to all that help here.

    I had need to run SQL Server 2005 64-bit (on XP 64bit)
    and learned so much here prior to setting out on a very
    successful endeavor.

    Gary Walter, Jul 23, 2008