    and i am done. if i can't install are there any alterantives (other than the
    obvious). I seem to remember reading the 32 bit operating system allowed you
    to run 64 bit software. I'll have to go back and find my reference. thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?bWFkZGVy?=, Aug 15, 2005

  2. It depends on the version of AutoCAD you are trying to install on XP Pro
    x64. Some 32 bit applications might need updating by the manufacturers to
    support installing on on x64, for example, the version of AutoCAD you
    installed could be a 32 bit native app, but it uses a 16 bit installer which
    is not supported on x64.
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
    Andre Da Costa, Aug 15, 2005

  3. There's nothing special you need to do. The system knows if the program
    being installed is 32-bit or 64-bit, and will deal with it accordingly.
    32-bit applications will end up in %ProgramFiles(x86)% and 64 bit programs
    will end up in %ProgramFiles%. And the appropriate hive of the registry will
    be updated.

    The one place you can have a problem is if the 32-bit application uses a 16
    bit installer -- the installer can't run in x64 Edition.

    and, no, you can NOT run 64-bit applications in a 32-bit operating system.

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Aug 15, 2005
  4. "madder" <> wrote in message
    > is there some special way to install 32 bit apps so the system knows they
    > are
    > 32 bit apps? i am trying to install 32 bit autocad and the installer
    > flashes
    > and i am done.

    -snip-

    Have you tried running the install program in XP compatibility mode?

    Wayne
    Wayne Wastier, Aug 16, 2005