installing 2nd HDD

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Kevin Wainhouse, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. I'm having big problems installing a second hard drive on my system. The new
    drive is 40GB-
    jumper set to slave & installed on secondary ide socket (nothing else on
    that socket)
    Win 98 OS. Any advice appreciated re follows:

    When I run fdisk, which option do I choose in response to 'Create DOS
    partition or logical DOS partition' :

    1. Create Primary DOS partition
    2. Create extended dos partition
    3. Create logical dos drivers in extended DOS partition.

    I have run 1. ie 'Create primary dos partition' but I'm not sure it's
    correct.

    The problem is that when I attempt to format
    the process is only 20% completed when mesage ''Trying to recover
    allocation unit 255171''
    flashes up and aborts after 10 minutes by when the 255171 has increased to
    about 256000

    I've tried to format a couple of times but always unsuccessful

    The Hard disc drive is new (Maxtor) -

    Any views / advice appreciated.

    Kevin

    Kevin Wainhouse, Dec 19, 2003

  2. Kevin Wainhouse

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    "Kevin Wainhouse" <> wrote in

    > The problem is that when I attempt to format
    > the process is only 20% completed when mesage ''Trying to recover
    > allocation unit 255171''
    > flashes up and aborts after 10 minutes by when the 255171 has
    > increased to about 256000

    Download Maxtor's software from their web site (it will create a boot
    floppy) and run the diagnostic software, it sounds like the drive may be
    DOA.

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk
    email: de_on-lag@co_cast.net (_ = m)

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 19, 2003

  3. Kevin Wainhouse

    Thor Guest

    First of all, set the drive as master, if it's the only device on the
    channel. Then try again.

    Thor, Dec 19, 2003
  4. Kevin Wainhouse

    Wizard Guest

    Kevin Wainhouse wrote:

    > I'm having big problems installing a second hard drive on my system. The new
    > drive is 40GB-
    > jumper set to slave & installed on secondary ide socket (nothing else on
    > that socket)

    This is your problem.. If it is the only drive on the secondary
    controller it needs to be set as master or single. To be a slave there
    must be a master on the same controller.

    Wizard, Dec 19, 2003
  5. Kevin Wainhouse

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Wizard <> wrote in

    > This is your problem.. If it is the only drive on the secondary
    > controller it needs to be set as master or single. To be a slave there
    > must be a master on the same controller.

    Not entirely true, as many OEMs distribute CD drives as lone slaves on the
    secondary channel. I ran that way after a DVD drive failed for the longest
    time.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 20, 2003
  6. Kevin Wainhouse

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 02:18:03 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Wizard <> wrote in
    >
    >> This is your problem.. If it is the only drive on the secondary
    >> controller it needs to be set as master or single. To be a slave there
    >> must be a master on the same controller.
    >>

    >Not entirely true, as many OEMs distribute CD drives as lone slaves on the
    >secondary channel. I ran that way after a DVD drive failed for the longest
    >time.

    He was talkin' about the OP's hard drive, of course.

    Wishing you and yours a happy holiday season...

    Trent

    Trent©, Dec 20, 2003
  7. Kevin Wainhouse

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Trent© <> wrote in

    > He was talkin' about the OP's hard drive, of course.

    Yes, but my point is a device /can/ be a slave with no master.

    DeMoN LaG, Dec 20, 2003
  8. Kevin Wainhouse

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 04:15:33 -0000, DeMoN LaG <n@a> wrote:

    >Trent© <> wrote in
    >
    >> He was talkin' about the OP's hard drive, of course.

    >Yes, but my point is a device /can/ be a slave with no master.

    Only certain types of devices. And certainly not the type of device
    he was talkin' about.

    Trent©, Dec 20, 2003
  9. Kevin Wainhouse

    Thor Guest

    "DeMoN LaG" <n@a> wrote in message
    > Wizard <> wrote in
    >
    > > This is your problem.. If it is the only drive on the secondary
    > > controller it needs to be set as master or single. To be a slave there
    > > must be a master on the same controller.
    > >

    > Not entirely true, as many OEMs distribute CD drives as lone slaves on the
    > secondary channel. I ran that way after a DVD drive failed for the

    longest
    > time.

    That seems to hold true for ATAPI devices alone. IDE harddrives are ATA
    devices.
    CD/DVD drives are ATAPI, which is slightly different with regards to how it
    interfaces on the ATA/ATAPI bus. Harddrives will not (at least never in my
    experiences) operate as a slave on a channel with no master present. CD/DVD
    drives virtually always do. So do ATAPI tape drives, Zip drives, etc.

    Thor, Dec 20, 2003