    I know how to connect the hardware but will 98SE recognise a 2nd HDD? Any
    advice or help welcomed as to what to do.

    Thanks

    SS, Apr 10, 2007

  2. SS

    Mike Easter Guest

    SS wrote:
    > I know how to connect the hardware but will 98SE recognise a 2nd HDD?

    Yes.

    W98se likes 2 file systems, fat16 & fat32. There are advantages &
    disadvantages of each.

    > Any advice or help welcomed as to what to do.

    A disadvantage of the older fat16 is that its max volume is 2G, so if
    you have a drive larger than that, it should be sliced into partitions.
    Since modern hdd/s are considerably bigger than that, fat32 is the more
    popular format and its volumes in w98 can be 32G.

    If your 2nd hdd is larger than 64G, there's a problem for fdisk.
    kb263044 "Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than
    64 GB"

    How big is your 2nd hdd?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Apr 10, 2007

  3. SS

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 17:51:33 +0000, SS wrote:

    > I know how to connect the hardware but will 98SE recognise a 2nd HDD? Any
    > advice or help welcomed as to what to do.
    >
    > Thanks

    yes
    #1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
    #1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
    #1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
    #10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
    COOSN-266-06-25794

    Meat Plow, Apr 10, 2007
  4. SS

    SS Guest

    "Mike Easter" <> wrote in message
    > SS wrote:
    > > I know how to connect the hardware but will 98SE recognise a 2nd HDD?

    > Yes.
    >
    > W98se likes 2 file systems, fat16 & fat32. There are advantages &
    > disadvantages of each.
    >
    > > Any advice or help welcomed as to what to do.

    > A disadvantage of the older fat16 is that its max volume is 2G, so if
    > you have a drive larger than that, it should be sliced into partitions.
    > Since modern hdd/s are considerably bigger than that, fat32 is the more
    > popular format and its volumes in w98 can be 32G.
    >
    > If your 2nd hdd is larger than 64G, there's a problem for fdisk.
    > kb263044 "Fdisk Does Not Recognize Full Size of Hard Disks Larger than
    > 64 GB"
    >
    > How big is your 2nd hdd?
    >

    > --
    > Mike Easter

    15GB. Main HDD is 13GB FAT 32

    SS, Apr 11, 2007
  5. SS

    ProfGene Guest

    SS wrote:
    > I know how to connect the hardware but will 98SE recognise a 2nd HDD? Any
    > advice or help welcomed as to what to do.
    >
    > Thanks

    Make sure you set the jumper right and it should be recognized by the
    bios but to make sure go into the bios when you boot the first time
    after you put in the drive to make sure the bios detected it, then if it
    did you should see it in My Computer. Make sure you format it for
    Windows 98. The software that comes with the drive should give you
    formatting options and also with the newer drives on older system you
    have to tell it to use the large disk option.

    ProfGene, Apr 12, 2007