    newer than the version on the CD"

    -Micah
    A+ Cert.
    Micah E., Jun 28, 2005

  2. Micah E.

    Al Romanosky Guest

    Unfortunately a bad effect of SP2 is that it "upgrades" XP installations -
    rendering "older" installation XP CDs without SP2 about useless (Except for
    clean installations). Another bad effect - XP Home with SP2 cannot be
    upgraded to XP pro if the Pro cd does not have SP2. One solution is to
    "upgrade" your XP CD by "slipstreaming" SP2.

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL
    Al Romanosky, Jun 28, 2005

  3. Use the appropriate set of disks:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Jun 28, 2005
  4. Micah E.

    Micah E. Guest

    Yes, thank you both, Jupiter Jones and Al Romanosky. I used that option.

    I found the following in the SPDEPLOY.HTM on the Service Pack disc.

    To create an installation of Windows XP integrated with the service pack

    1.. Connect to the network or computer where you want to create the
    distribution folder, and then set up Drive: to correspond to the
    distribution folder. <I just used my own hard drive.>
    2.. In the shared folder on the network, create a distribution folder for
    the Windows XP installation files.
    For example, to create a distribution folder named XPSP2_INT\PRO, type the
    following:

    mkdir Drive:\XPSP2_INT\PRO

    Ensure that only the system administrator has full access to this folder.
    Other users should have only Read and Execute permissions.

    3.. Insert your version of the Windows XP product CD that does not include
    the service pack into the CD-ROM drive, and then copy the contents of the CD
    to the distribution folder that you created in Step 2. <Again, I just copied
    it onto my hard drvie.>
    For example, to copy the installation files and folders from the Windows
    XP product CD in the CD-ROM drive (D:) to the distribution folder named
    XPSP2_INT\PRO, type the following:

    xcopy D:\ Drive:\XPSP2_INT\PRO /E

    4.. Remove the product CD from the CD-ROM drive, and then insert the
    service pack CD.
    5.. If you want to store these files locally (described in The Standalone
    Installation earlier in this guide), you can extract the service pack source
    files from XPsp2.exe and put them in a folder on your hard disk.
    If you do not want to store these files locally, skip this step. The
    installation will put the files in the default location. The default
    location is randomly chosen and determined by the installation.

    For example, to extract the service pack files located in the CD-ROM drive
    (D:) to a folder named temp on the drive where the distribution folder is
    located, you would type the following:

    D:\ XPsp2.exe /X: Drive:\temp

    6.. If you extracted the files, you can apply the service pack to the
    Windows XP installation files located in the folder named XPSP2_INT\PRO by
    typing the following:
    Drive:\temp\i386\update\update.exe /Integrate:Drive:\XPSP1_INT\PRO

    For a list of command-line options that you can use with this command
    line, see Command-Line Options for XPsp2.exe and Update.exe earlier in this
    guide.

    7.. The Setup Wizard for SP2 for Windows XP displays the progress of your
    installation and informs you when the installation is completed.

    --
    Micah E.
    A+ Cert.

    Micah E., Jun 28, 2005
  5. Knowing how to slipstream updates into XP before you take the test is
    probably a good idea anyway. You should also know how to slipstream
    hotfixes.

    msnews.microsoft.com, Jul 29, 2005