    PaintShop Pro works fine.
    Is there some rhyme or reason to this? Please inform this new 64bit kid!

    Thanks

    Sam Steinhauser, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Sam Steinhauser

    John Barnes Guest

    Just one of my pet peeves. Programs which have 32-bit installers, install
    but don't work properly and then have 16-bit uninstallers that don't work.

    John Barnes, Dec 22, 2005

  3. 16-bit software, installers or programs, do not work (by design).

    Colin Barnhorst, Dec 22, 2005
  4. Is there a way to tell what a program is? 16 or 32 bit?

    Sam Steinhauser, Dec 22, 2005
  5. Is there a way to tell which programs use either 16 or 32 bit?

    Sam Steinhauser, Dec 23, 2005
  6. Sam Steinhauser

    Randy Guest

    I believe that generally, anything written for Windows 3.X is 16bit, and
    anything written for Windows 9X is 32bit. And if you go back far enough,
    stuff written for DOS is 8bit. That's very broad and general and not real
    helpful, but it generally does hold true...

    So the longer stuff has been around, the less likely it will work with x64
    Windows...

    If you already have software installed on a 32bit system, you may be able to
    use an applet called process explorer to look at a running application and
    see if it's listed as 16bit or 32bit. You can find process explorer and many
    similar such utilities lots of places on the web. They are basically
    enhanced versions of Task Manager...

    Randy, Dec 26, 2005
  7. Sam Steinhauser

    Rick Guest

    Randy wrote:
    > I believe that generally, anything written for Windows 3.X is 16bit, and
    > anything written for Windows 9X is 32bit. And if you go back far enough,
    > stuff written for DOS is 8bit. That's very broad and general and not real
    > helpful, but it generally does hold true...

    The above is not 100% correct. There are still many programs out there
    that are using either a 16-nit installer and/or a 16-bit uninstaller.
    These install and uninstall programs will run in Windows XP Pro & Home,
    and have not been updated and/or replaced before now because there was
    no compelling reason to do so.

    The only way Microsoft will force software developers to move to at
    least a 32-bit installer and uninstaller is to stop supporting 16-bit in
    current versions of Windows.

    Rick...

    Rick, Dec 26, 2005
  8. check this compatabilty guide out, may help
    http://www.3dvelocity.com/articles/win64compatibility/win64softlist.htm
    --
    koolbreezerepairs

    =?Utf-8?B?VGVycnk=?=, Jan 2, 2006