Installed Vista dual boot, think I screwed up!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Don, Feb 23, 2008.

  1. Don

    Don Guest

    Hey gang,

    I think I have messed up here. I just installed 64 bit Vista Ultimate,
    retail full version, in what I thought was a dual boot environment.
    I added a new sata hard drive, and installed Vista on it.

    Now, I do not get an option when I boot to choose wich OS to boot to, it
    only boots into Vista.
    Under Vista, it shows as my C drive, I see the partion on the other hard
    drive my XP Pro is on, however under Vista it shows as drive E?

    Dangit, I thought I had read enough to know what I was doing here, but
    apparently I did something I should not have.

    I would sure appreciate any help here, my XP Pro is my main OS and I
    desperately need to be able to get back to it.

    Thanks,

    Don

    Don, Feb 23, 2008

  2. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    Download and install VistaBootPro or EasyBCD and add a legacy OS entry.
    Both are free and you can Google for the sites. Depending on your setup,
    you may have to duplicate the ntdetect.com, boot.ini and ntldr files to the
    other drive and modify the boot.ini to point to the correct drive and
    partition for the XP system

    John Barnes, Feb 23, 2008

  3. You made a good choice.

    That's how I installed mine. If you don't have dual boot, it usually means
    that the Vista installation did not see your XP drive (was it unplugged?) if
    so that's just fine. You should be able to boot from bios to the drive you
    want.

    Go to your bios and set XP hd as first boot. That means, if you don't touch
    anything XP will boot first.

    Usually on boot screen you ave an option to choose boot from (usually F10
    check your manual ) on most boards.

    I hit the F10, get a drive menu and choose the XP drive to boot to XP. If I
    don't do anything Vista will boot first.

    If worst comes to worst, use VistaBootPro on your Vista drive to create a
    start menu.

    Vista boot Pro can be found http://www.vistabootpro.org/

    --
    Lance Frca {497083/1008563} MVP Shell/User
    www.zardoc.com

    Lance Le Claire, Feb 23, 2008
  4. Don

    Don B Guest

    Thanks John,

    Using Vista Boot Pro, I added a legacy os, named it XP, chose the drive that
    Vista shows it is on - E - , then tried rebooting.
    It gave me a choice upon boot, but when I choose XP, the system just
    restarts.

    Can you elaborate a little, on duplicating those file you mentioned? Not
    sure I fully understand what to do there.

    Also, when I do manage to get XP to boot, are my partitions going to be as
    they were in XP before, ie the main partion will be C, rather than E like
    Vista shows it resides in?

    Thanks,

    Don

    Don B, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Don

    Don B Guest

    Thanks, I will go into bios and give that a try and advise.

    Don

    Don B, Feb 23, 2008
  6. Don

    Don B Guest

    Awesome I finally was able to boot back to my XP Pro, with all parition
    letters intact as they should be.
    Many thanks Lance!!

    I changed the hard disk boot priority, to the disk XP was intalled on as the
    first, and it booted right up into XP.
    When I restard, I hit escape to enter boot menu, choose the hard disk that
    Vista is on, and it boots into Vista.

    Whew, I was nervous there for a few minutes, again, many thanks!!

    Now, what would be best way, to get it to just give me an option between
    Vista and XP upon booting?
    I sure don't want to scredw anything up, I can live with it like it is if I
    need to.

    Btw, no I did not have my main drive that XP is on unplugged when installing
    the Vista Ultimate full version on the new drive.

    Many thanks again,

    Don B, Feb 23, 2008
  7. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    > Can you elaborate a little, on duplicating those file you mentioned? Not
    > sure I fully understand what to do there.

    Copy the three files onto the root of your other OS. You can edit the
    boot.ini file and change rdisk if necessary. You could also give
    information as to your drives and what boot files are on each. As a way of
    getting to your XP system if necessary, you can use VistaBootPro to restore
    the XP boot process from another section. You could then install it on XP
    and just restore back and forth until you get the BCD fix to see the ntldr
    process

    > Also, when I do manage to get XP to boot, are my partitions going to be as
    > they were in XP before, ie the main partion will be C, rather than E like
    > Vista shows it resides in?

    The drive letters are already defined in your registry, so the drive letters
    will stay the same if the new drive had already been added, otherwise it
    will be assigned the next drive letter per the enumeration formula.

    John Barnes, Feb 23, 2008
  8. Don

    John Barnes Guest

    Glad to see you have it working

    John Barnes, Feb 23, 2008
  9. Now follow the instructions in this kb article so that XP does not wipe out
    your Vista recovery files (system restore, backups, previous versions, etc)
    every time you boot XP.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 23, 2008
  10. Colin, He's not in a dual boot situation so each drive is individual.

    You would have to do this if Vista was the boot manager.

    Don, Choose which ever OS you want to boot first. For me it's Vista. It's
    running nice and smooth with SP1.

    Have fun.

    Lance Le Claire, Feb 23, 2008
  11. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Lance, that is how I will do it then.

    Don, Feb 23, 2008
  12. Don

    Don B Guest

    Hey Lance,

    Just to make sure I understand, they way I have mine set now, I will always
    have to go in and select which drive to boot from correct, rather than
    having it give me the option of which OS to boot to during bootup?

    That is no big deal for me, just wanted to make sure, it is working great as
    is.

    Don B, Feb 23, 2008
  13. I have gone one better and posted my own detailed notes and instructions to
    this group in a new thread.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  14. Whether the systems are on partitions on the same drive or on different
    drives is immaterial.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  15. Please see the attachment in my latest post. It is not necessary to go
    through what you are doing. Microsoft's recommended procedure makes that
    unneccessary.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  16. Don

    Don Guest

    Thanks Colin, that certainly helps me understand what I need to do, to keep
    my Vista restore points from getting deleted. I do have Vista Ultimate, and
    understand I could use the Bitlocker feature as well.

    Ok, so in regards to booting into XP or Vista, let me clarify where I am
    with that and what it is doing.

    I have three sata hard drives.
    Drive 1 = XP OS ( 2 partitiions)
    Drive 2 - XP Data and Apps ( 2 partitions)
    Drive 3 = Vista ( 2 partitions)

    Currently, I have my hard disk boot order in bios, set for drive 1 first,
    which automatically boots into XP, which is fine as it is still going to be
    my main OS for a while.
    To get into Vista, during boot, I hit escape to get into a boot menu, then
    select boot from hard drive, then select Drive 3, then it will go ahead and
    boot into Vista.

    It is really not that bad a deal, but after doing a few times, I find myself
    wishing I could just select which OS to boot into rather than going through
    the above steps.

    I have tried the Easy Bcd program, and also Vista Boot Pro, but for some
    reason can't seem to get it to work. Perhaps I am not understanding exactly
    how to do it.
    Any other tips for my simple mind would certainly be appreciated.

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  17. The registry edits in the procedure I gave in the attachment allows you to
    use the computer in a normal dual boot setup without risking anything in
    Vista when you boot XP. It is the resolution for that issue. Use it and
    you will not have to use the escape key or special boot managers or anything
    else other than the traditional boot menu Windows sets up for you when you
    install a second OS on a computer.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  18. Don

    Don Guest

    Hmnm, I must have missed something there, I will read again and see if I can
    understand what I need to do.
    I had thought, when I installed Vista on the new third hard drive, it would
    automatically give me that option during boot, but it didn't.

    I'll check it out and see what I can do , thanks.

    --
    Don

    Don, Feb 24, 2008
  19. Do not use the escape key technique to install Vista and you will have a
    boot options menu showing "Older Version of Windows" and "Microsoft Vista".
    If you run Vista setup from the XP desktop and simply select your desired
    partition for installation your disk drive lettering will align between the
    two systems. If you set the XP drive as the boot drive and then boot the
    system with the Vista dvd you will get variation of the drive lettering (no
    real problem) and will have the boot menu after you install Vista on the
    second drive or partition.

    You may only have to create one registry key in order to protect the Vista
    volume from XP so there probably is no need to use any special techniques
    when installing Vista to have a safe system.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 24, 2008
  20. No you won't Don. If the first drive is XP in the bios, by default it will
    boot into XP without requests. If you want Vista then you must use the boot
    menu.

    Vista bootmngr when used with XP can be a real hassle. Because if you decide
    to get rid of Vista Xp will not boot anymore if Vista was using botmngr for
    both drives.

    Having 2 different O/S boot on two different drives with bios boot,
    eliminates Bootmngr and loosing system restore options without having to
    hack the registry.

    Lance Le Claire, Feb 24, 2008