    have any ideas? I am no computer guy so I don't know what to tell
    him. Thanks
    ==============

    casingbill, May 2, 2004

  2. casingbill

    Ghost Guest

    In article <40945d68$>,
    -spam.invalid (casingbill) wrote:

    > My cousin installed a 512mb SDRAM stick in his Gigabyte MB with DDR.
    > Now it won't boot, just comes up the windos xp error screen. Tried
    > last know good config and safemode but nothing it just restarts and
    > does it again. Obviously he removed it and reinstalled his old memory
    > but still no good. Cleared the CMOS already and still nothing. Anyone
    > have any ideas? I am no computer guy so I don't know what to tell
    > him. Thanks
    > ==============
    > For this group's frequently asked questions, check out www.CertFAQ.com

    Is this for real???

    Ghost, May 2, 2004

  3. casingbill

    Tony Guest

    On 1 May 2004 22:31:04 -0400, -spam.invalid (casingbill) wrote:

    >My cousin installed a 512mb SDRAM stick in his Gigabyte MB with DDR.

    THat's impossible. There is only one notch in a DDR memory slot and SDRAM has 2 slots and they dont
    match up.

    Tony

    Tony, May 2, 2004
  4. On 1 May 2004 22:31:04 -0400,
    -spam.invalid (casingbill) wrote:

    >My cousin installed a 512mb SDRAM stick in his Gigabyte MB with DDR.
    >Now it won't boot, just comes up the windos xp error screen. Tried
    >last know good config and safemode but nothing it just restarts and
    >does it again. Obviously he removed it and reinstalled his old memory
    >but still no good. Cleared the CMOS already and still nothing. Anyone
    >have any ideas? I am no computer guy so I don't know what to tell
    >him. Thanks

    Well, no he didn't. SDRAM just doesn't fit into a DDR socket; there
    are physical notches to prevent that. He may have TRIED to, but
    failed, then replaced the original DIMM.

    If he gets as far as an XP error screen, he has obviously got the
    machine running with some amount of RAM.

    The next thing we need to know is what the error screen says. These
    error messages aren't just random collections of string: they are
    meant to be read.

    Slainte
    Gordon

    Gordon Findlay, May 2, 2004
  5. casingbill

    casingbill Guest

    Re: Installed SDRAM in a DDR slot......won't boot ......help

    It may sound impossible but think about it. The DDR slot has one
    raised notch. The SDRAM stick has 2 indents for notches. As long as
    one will line up then there is no reason for it to not fit. The SDRAM
    is only 168 pin so it can fit into the slot. I'm not sure why he
    didn't notice it wasn't right but he didn't. I cleared the CMOS
    already. The error screen is the startup screen where it asks if you
    want to use last know good config. or safe mode or safe mode with
    networking or normally. If you try any it just reboots and stops
    there again. Thanks.
    ==============

    casingbill, May 2, 2004
  6. casingbill

    casingbill Guest

    Re: Installed SDRAM in a DDR slot......won't boot ......help

    I was supposed to go over there to check it out but I couldn't. I just
    spoke to him and he did say it didn't fit very well and he had a hard
    time snapping the clips. But he unfortunately go it in. He is going
    to buy some new memory and try that. Maybe when he had them both in
    there together it shorted out his stick of DDR
    ==============

    casingbill, May 2, 2004
  7. casingbill

    hootnholler Guest

    Re: Installed SDRAM in a DDR slot......won't boot ......help

    Hey Bill,

    Sorry to hear about your dilemma. I'm guessing that he's going to need a
    new motherboard, he probably broke the RAM socket. There's little 'fingers'
    on the inside that make contact with the 'pads' on the RAM. In the process
    of forcing that stick in, he probably bent quite a few of them, which are no
    longer making contact. Unless you are a phenom with a soldering iron, it's
    probably dead. You could try with a set of dentists tools to bend them back
    out, but it's a long, laborious and very rarely fruitful task.

    Just keep him away from the molex connections, too!

    Hoot

    hootnholler, May 3, 2004
  8. casingbill

    casingbill Guest

    Re: Installed SDRAM in a DDR slot......won't boot ......help

    Well, On initial boot it does recognize his 256 of mem. When it gets a
    little further is when it crashes. I am supposing he will need a new
    MB.
    ==============

    casingbill, May 4, 2004
  9. casingbill

    Geoff Guest

    casingbill wrote:
    > I was supposed to go over there to check it out but I couldn't. I just
    > spoke to him and he did say it didn't fit very well and he had a hard
    > time snapping the clips. But he unfortunately go it in. He is going
    > to buy some new memory and try that. Maybe when he had them both in
    > there together it shorted out his stick of DDR
    > ==============
    > For this group's frequently asked questions, check out www.CertFAQ.com

    "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing"
    lol

    Geoff, May 5, 2004
  10. casingbill

    casingbill Guest

    Re: Installed SDRAM in a DDR slot......won't boot ......help

    Well, he has done nothing so far. He did say though that when it turns
    on and does the POST. The memory is recognized. So I guess its not
    the memory. Have to try something else. Thanks for the help? so far.
    :)

    casingbill, May 8, 2004