Installed new dvd burner, can't use existing cd burner

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Travis, Sep 23, 2006.

  1. Travis

    Travis Guest

    I just bought a Sony DRU-800A DVD+-RW burner from Wal-mart as I need to burn
    an operating system (Vista rc1).

    I openened up my Dell Dimension 1100, I used the empty slot to put the dvd
    burner in. A connected the drive with the slave (I think it's called that,
    the cable that is connected to the motherboard, has another connection about
    half-way and then a end one on the top) that the master is connected to the
    CD-RW, which the cable is directly connected to the motherboard. I then put
    the power in and did the scews and I was finished.

    I booted up and noticied that my CD-RW wasn't detected anymore (It's a
    Dell). It just showed the DVD-RW drive and in device manager there was the
    dvd burner only.

    I also realized it doensn't read discs right. I put in Black and White 1 as
    a test disc, which worked on my CD-RW before, would not give a directory
    listing or anything in it. It wouldn't even autoplay. And the title is just
    "CD Drive" when ANY disc is in it.

    Does this have something to do with the cable I'm using? Or is it something
    in the BIOS where I have to configure them both or something.

    Travis, Sep 23, 2006

  2. Travis

    Travis Guest

    nevermind, It turned out that i had the jumper on the drive set to master,
    not slave

    Travis, Sep 23, 2006