    but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.

    Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
    they could publish this as being normal...

    richms, Jul 11, 2009

  2. How To Ask Good Questions

    <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 12, 2009

  3. richms

    Richard Guest

    Re: How To Ask Good Questions

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

    Yeah, that is not really helpful.

    I know nothing about linux, and wnat some basic troubleshooting details,
    not some smartass tossers page about asking questions that is massivly
    long and hard to read.

    The question is fine, I have installed it, its too slow, where to look
    for solutions.

    Richard, Jul 12, 2009
  4. richms

    Peter Guest

    richms wrote:
    > Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
    > to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
    > the person packing.
    >
    > Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
    > the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
    > swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
    >
    > The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
    > but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
    >
    > Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
    > they could publish this as being normal...

    run top from the command line
    what is the system load?
    is there some process using lots of CPU?

    Peter, Jul 12, 2009
  5. richms

    Richard Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > richms wrote:
    >> Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
    >> to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
    >> the person packing.
    >>
    >> Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
    >> the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
    >> swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
    >>
    >> The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
    >> but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
    >>
    >> Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
    >> they could publish this as being normal...

    > run top from the command line
    > what is the system load?
    > is there some process using lots of CPU?

    Will update once I am at where the machine is again.

    Richard, Jul 12, 2009
  6. Re: How To Ask Good Questions

    In message <h3bct0$gms$>, Richard wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >
    >> <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

    > Yeah, that is not really helpful.

    We are not here to run your personal consulting service. Nobody is being
    paid to figure out what your postings mean. If you want good answers, you're
    going to have to ask good questions.

    In that case, go and learn something first <http://wlug.org.nz/NewToLinux>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jul 12, 2009
  7. richms

    Enkidu Guest

    richms wrote:
    > Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
    > to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
    > the person packing.
    >
    > Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
    > the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
    > swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
    >
    > The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
    > but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
    >
    > Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
    > they could publish this as being normal...

    Tabs are created instantly on my Ubuntu machine. What do you mean by
    "slide in"?

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 12, 2009
  8. richms

    Enkidu Guest

    Re: How To Ask Good Questions

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <h3bct0$gms$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

    >> Yeah, that is not really helpful.

    > We are not here to run your personal consulting service. Nobody is
    > being paid to figure out what your postings mean. If you want good
    > answers, you're going to have to ask good questions.

    Idiot.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 12, 2009
  9. richms

    Richard Guest

    Re: How To Ask Good Questions

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <h3bct0$gms$>, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    >>
    >>> <http://catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html>

    >> Yeah, that is not really helpful.

    > We are not here to run your personal consulting service. Nobody is being
    > paid to figure out what your postings mean. If you want good answers, you're
    > going to have to ask good questions.

    I installed it, its too slow to use - what is there to understand?

    Windows works fine on an identical machine, except with a slower CPU in
    it with firefox so its not the specs of the hardware.

    Im going to try ubuntu on one of the other machines and see if its any
    better, if it is will just install all the server stuff on it and move
    it over.

    >> I know nothing about linux ...

    > In that case, go and learn something first <http://wlug.org.nz/NewToLinux>.

    Yeah, again, not much help. I was hoping that someone would know that I
    have to install some more drivers or something but finding anything
    sensible on linux in google is hopeless since you just get unanswered
    questions everywhere and stuff for other distributions...

    Richard, Jul 12, 2009
  10. richms

    Richard Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > richms wrote:
    >> Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
    >> to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
    >> the person packing.
    >>
    >> Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
    >> the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
    >> swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
    >>
    >> The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
    >> but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
    >>
    >> Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
    >> they could publish this as being normal...
    > >

    > Tabs are created instantly on my Ubuntu machine. What do you mean by
    > "slide in"?

    When it asks if you want to save a password, that bar appears at the top
    with the do you want to save the password - yes, no, dont ask again etc
    - on my windows machines it appears in a fraction of a second, on the
    affected machine it seems to refresh about 5-6 times, each time taking
    about half a second so all up it takes about 2 seconds or more.

    Clicking onto a tab and it again takes 2 secs or so to display middle
    click and 3-4 seconds to do anything - instant on windows on a similar
    machine.

    I will grab some video next time I am there of it and check top out for
    cpu etc.

    Richard, Jul 12, 2009
  11. richms

    victor Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> richms wrote:
    >>> Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers connected
    >>> to so that a browser can be used to access the website to do stuff for
    >>> the person packing.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password" thing at
    >>> the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to slide in,
    >>> swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
    >>>
    >>> The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics etc,
    >>> but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
    >>>
    >>> Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe that
    >>> they could publish this as being normal...
    >> >

    >> Tabs are created instantly on my Ubuntu machine. What do you mean by
    >> "slide in"?

    > When it asks if you want to save a password, that bar appears at the top
    > with the do you want to save the password - yes, no, dont ask again etc
    > - on my windows machines it appears in a fraction of a second, on the
    > affected machine it seems to refresh about 5-6 times, each time taking
    > about half a second so all up it takes about 2 seconds or more.
    >
    > Clicking onto a tab and it again takes 2 secs or so to display middle
    > click and 3-4 seconds to do anything - instant on windows on a similar
    > machine.
    >
    > I will grab some video next time I am there of it and check top out for
    > cpu etc.

    Might be the Intel graphics xserver-xorg-video-intel driver, I've seen
    some questions about it.
    This one had an answer
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ntel-945gm-lag-issues-on-debian-lenny-646817/
    I'm running Intel onboard graphics on a D945 Dual Atom board with ubuntu
    9.04 and it works fine, plays video, flv, compiz etc.

    victor, Jul 12, 2009
  12. richms

    Enkidu Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> richms wrote:
    >>> Added a monitor etc on the machine that I have the printers
    >>> connected to so that a browser can be used to access the website
    >>> to do stuff for the person packing.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway, its crazy unaceptably slow - the "remember password"
    >>> thing at the top of firefox/iceweasle takes like 2 seconds to
    >>> slide in, swapping tabs is a 2-3 second process.
    >>>
    >>> The machine isnt great, its a P4 2.4GHz, onboard intel graphics
    >>> etc, but its fine in windows XP doing the same things.
    >>>
    >>> Any pointers on finding the reason it is so slow? I cant believe
    >>> that they could publish this as being normal...
    >>>

    >> Tabs are created instantly on my Ubuntu machine. What do you mean
    >> by "slide in"?

    > When it asks if you want to save a password, that bar appears at the
    > top with the do you want to save the password - yes, no, dont ask
    > again etc - on my windows machines it appears in a fraction of a
    > second, on the affected machine it seems to refresh about 5-6 times,
    > each time taking about half a second so all up it takes about 2
    > seconds or more.
    >
    > Clicking onto a tab and it again takes 2 secs or so to display middle
    > click and 3-4 seconds to do anything - instant on windows on a
    > similar machine.
    >
    > I will grab some video next time I am there of it and check top out
    > for cpu etc.

    I don't know what the problem is, but this is not normal. I'd check for
    excessive memory usage by a process, or excessive CPU usage by a process.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Jul 12, 2009
  13. richms

    Gordon Guest

    Re: How To Ask Good Questions

    On 2009-07-12, Richard <> wrote:
    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Yeah, that is not really helpful.

    >> We are not here to run your personal consulting service. Nobody is being
    >> paid to figure out what your postings mean. If you want good answers, you're
    >> going to have to ask good questions.

    > I installed it, its too slow to use - what is there to understand?

    Why it is running slowly. Yes?

    Gordon, Jul 13, 2009
  14. richms

    Gordon Guest

    Re: How To Ask Good Questions

    On 2009-07-12, ofn01 <> wrote:

    >>> Yeah, that is not really helpful.

    >> We are not here to run your personal consulting service. Nobody is being
    >> paid to figure out what your postings mean. If you want good answers,
    >> you're
    >> going to have to ask good questions.

    > The general way it works is someone asks a question roughly outlining the
    > issue and then lots of posters give general ideas which help the original
    > poster narrow it down.

    Indeed, but it is better, if the OP can post all the details he knows. What
    he is doing in detail. It is these details which will allow the readers to
    make worthwhile suggestions. To zero in faster. More people will stick with
    the problem. Greater chance of a solution.

    If you go to the Doctor and only say that your head hurts, you are not going
    to get very far. Saying that banging it against the wall makes it worse,
    helps a great deal.

    > You don't always have to fight with the group you know.

    That has not been suggested until now. ;-)

    Gordon, Jul 13, 2009