    need to get at all these email accounts etc as a user on my machine,
    not as administrator. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to
    redo it all as a user?

    nospam, Jun 14, 2011

  2. nospam

    Richard Guest

    Re: installed & configured mozilla thunderbird as admin but wantto run as user

    On 14/06/2011 3:48 p.m., nospam wrote:
    > On Windows 7, I downloaded the thunderbird installer and used "run as
    > administrator" to install. Thunderbird started and I configured a
    > whole heap of email accounts and downloaded emails etc., however, I
    > need to get at all these email accounts etc as a user on my machine,
    > not as administrator. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to
    > redo it all as a user?

    Have you tried copying the profile folder between your admin account and
    the user accounts folders in \users ? Check all 3 of the sub folders for
    files for mozilla thunderbird

    Richard, Jun 14, 2011

  3. In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >On Windows 7, I downloaded the thunderbird installer and used "run as
    >administrator" to install. Thunderbird started and I configured a
    >whole heap of email accounts and downloaded emails etc., however, I
    >need to get at all these email accounts etc as a user on my machine,
    >not as administrator. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to
    >redo it all as a user?

    Not sure how you do it in windows, but can you simply set the relevant
    permissions for the user accounts you created ? There's probably a setting
    or settings for that ... somewhere. :)

    Good luck.

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 14, 2011
  4. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 16:00:56 +1200, Richard <> wrote:

    >On 14/06/2011 3:48 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >> On Windows 7, I downloaded the thunderbird installer and used "run as
    >> administrator" to install. Thunderbird started and I configured a
    >> whole heap of email accounts and downloaded emails etc., however, I
    >> need to get at all these email accounts etc as a user on my machine,
    >> not as administrator. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to
    >> redo it all as a user?

    >Have you tried copying the profile folder between your admin account and
    >the user accounts folders in \users ? Check all 3 of the sub folders for
    >files for mozilla thunderbird

    Just tried it - it didn't work. Running thunderbird as user just
    ignored the copied profile folder - I htink it has absolute pathnames
    in there anyway so most likely it wouldn't like being moved around.
    Thanks though.

    nospam, Jun 14, 2011
  5. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 04:02:08 GMT,
    (Bruce Sinclair)
    wrote:

    >In article <>, nospam <> wrote:
    >>On Windows 7, I downloaded the thunderbird installer and used "run as
    >>administrator" to install. Thunderbird started and I configured a
    >>whole heap of email accounts and downloaded emails etc., however, I
    >>need to get at all these email accounts etc as a user on my machine,
    >>not as administrator. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to
    >>redo it all as a user?

    >Not sure how you do it in windows, but can you simply set the relevant
    >permissions for the user accounts you created ? There's probably a setting
    >or settings for that ... somewhere. :)

    I tried sharing the profile folder and I also tried changing the
    permissions on it. Anyway, not sure exactly what you mean but I don't
    think it's gonna work :)

    nospam, Jun 14, 2011
  6. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 15:48:49 +1200, nospam <>
    wrote:

    >On Windows 7, I downloaded the thunderbird installer and used "run as
    >administrator" to install. Thunderbird started and I configured a
    >whole heap of email accounts and downloaded emails etc., however, I
    >need to get at all these email accounts etc as a user on my machine,
    >not as administrator. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to
    >redo it all as a user?

    After more digging I discovered mozbackup
    http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com/

    I ran it as admin and it backed up all my thunderbird settings,
    emails, email accounts etc. Then I shared the backup file with my
    user account and ran mozbackup as user - and it worked !!!
    Now I run thunderbird as user and everything's there and working
    correctly. Wow. Dunno if it's windows only or not.

    nospam, Jun 14, 2011
  7. nospam

    nospam Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:07:49 +1200, EMB <> wrote:

    >On 14/06/2011 3:48 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >> On Windows 7, I downloaded the thunderbird installer and used "run as
    >> administrator" to install. Thunderbird started and I configured a
    >> whole heap of email accounts and downloaded emails etc., however, I
    >> need to get at all these email accounts etc as a user on my machine,
    >> not as administrator. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to
    >> redo it all as a user?

    >You should have been logged on as the user, then right clicked in the
    >installer and chosen 'Run as Administrator" which would have installed
    >it as the user, but with the necessary administrative rights for the
    >install to proceed.

    That's exactly what I did but when the install completed it offered to
    run thunderbird - which I agreed to without thinking - and it must
    have run as admin. In the past I've been happy to be logged on as
    administrator all the time but now I have a new machine and don't want
    to do that any more so I have a learning curve to go through. I'm
    not sure I even needed to be administrator to install it - I just tend
    to install everything with "run as admin".

    nospam, Jun 14, 2011
  8. nospam

    On 14/06/2011 10:32 p.m., nospam wrote:
    > On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:07:49 +1200, EMB<> wrote:
    >
    >> On 14/06/2011 3:48 p.m., nospam wrote:
    >>> On Windows 7, I downloaded the thunderbird installer and used "run as
    >>> administrator" to install. Thunderbird started and I configured a
    >>> whole heap of email accounts and downloaded emails etc., however, I
    >>> need to get at all these email accounts etc as a user on my machine,
    >>> not as administrator. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to
    >>> redo it all as a user?

    >> You should have been logged on as the user, then right clicked in the
    >> installer and chosen 'Run as Administrator" which would have installed
    >> it as the user, but with the necessary administrative rights for the
    >> install to proceed.

    > That's exactly what I did but when the install completed it offered to
    > run thunderbird - which I agreed to without thinking - and it must
    > have run as admin. In the past I've been happy to be logged on as
    > administrator all the time but now I have a new machine and don't want
    > to do that any more so I have a learning curve to go through. I'm
    > not sure I even needed to be administrator to install it - I just tend
    > to install everything with "run as admin".

    Installers will request elevation when needed, no need to specifically
    run them as admin.

    Richard, Jun 14, 2011
  9. nospam

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 22:07:49 +1200, in message <it7btk$dfa$>
    EMB wrote:

    > On 14/06/2011 3:48 p.m., nospam wrote:
    > > On Windows 7, I downloaded the thunderbird installer and used "run as
    > > administrator" to install. Thunderbird started and I configured a
    > > whole heap of email accounts and downloaded emails etc., however, I
    > > need to get at all these email accounts etc as a user on my machine,
    > > not as administrator. Is there any way to fix this or do I have to
    > > redo it all as a user?

    > You should have been logged on as the user, then right clicked in the
    > installer and chosen 'Run as Administrator" which would have installed
    > it as the user, but with the necessary administrative rights for the
    > install to proceed. or alternatively you could have turned UAC off for
    > the duration of the install and then turned it back on.

    If you do that and run Thunderbird directly from the installer,
    Thunderbird runs as administrator (same as the installer), and
    creates accounts as administrator not as user.

    The essential point is not to run Thunderbird from the installer.
    but to run it afterwards from a user account.

    --
    Kind regards
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Jun 14, 2011
  10. nospam

    On 15/06/2011 12:13 a.m., EMB wrote:
    > On 15/06/2011 12:07 a.m., Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Installers will request elevation when needed, no need to specifically
    >> run them as admin.

    > Well behaved installers will, but there are a fair few that fail without
    > explicit elevation.

    UAC has existed for what? 5 years or so now?

    Inexcusable for them to not request it. If there is an app that has
    authors who cant even sort out their installation then I have little
    hope for the app it self

    Richard, Jun 14, 2011
  11. Re: installed & configured mozilla thunderbird as admin but wantto run as user

    In article <it7j8q$86m$>, EMB <> wrote:
    >On 15/06/2011 12:07 a.m., Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Installers will request elevation when needed, no need to specifically
    >> run them as admin.

    >Well behaved installers will, but there are a fair few that fail without
    >explicit elevation.

    Yep ... and usually right at the end of the process. :) :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Jun 14, 2011